Women producers!! Where are you!

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

There are lots of female producers and musicians, but they probably have better things top do than argue about trivial details, semantics and the usual pedantry which makes up most of the of KVR posts! We 'men' do like to try and be alpha and win internet arguments (which is always a phrenic victory!)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

Would love to see some numbers/statistics showing how many woman vs. men in this industry? Just to quantify matters a bit and have some thing more material to talk about.
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

Here are six Canadian female record producers and I'd add seventh, Jann Ardern who has self produced some projects.

http://www.cbcmusic.ca/posts/12516/six- ... your-radar
Last edited by Scotty on Sat Mar 10, 2018 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Russell Grand wrote:
JerGoertz wrote:But in all sewiousness, Mrs. Jinx is an amazing producer. Great melodic IDM.

Hey, thanks for posting about Mrs. Jynx. I'd never heard of this artist until today, and I just spent the last few hours listening to everything I could find of hers on Youtube and Bandcamp. Great early-AFX/u-ziq type stuff; in fact, I might like Mrs. Jynx better than u-ziq. Good stuff! :phones:
Hey, glad you enjoy it! :) I'd characterize her music pretty much exactly the same way you did. I sense a strong Mike Paradinas influence.
A well-behaved signature.

The music biz does seem to be male dominated, though of course class will always out, and many women make fine contributions.
There are no doubt many reasons for a lack of women participating in forum groups like this one, which does somewhat reinforce the sausage fest lack of balance.
Perhaps if sites like these were less confrontation and safer spaces for women to engage, we'd all be a bit better off. Cracking down on the use of the word c*nt as a permissible insult, for example, would go a long way to diluting the toxic testosterone environmentals.

whyterabbyt wrote:
morelia wrote: Not coerced into a field to even up the numbers.
Strawman. Encouraging people to pursue interests they have been made to feel precluded from isn't coercion by any stretch of the imagination.
Sadly I'm failing at explaining myself. Yes I agree. Encouragement is not coercion. To me encouagement implies choice still exists. Coercion is manipulation with an agenda. Or thereabouts. I could be wrong. Anyway, again, all "people" should feel free to persue whatever field they wish.
Intel Core i7 8700K, 16gb, Windows 10 Pro, Focusrite Scarlet 6i6

justin3am wrote:Not only do women deserve more respect/recognition, they deserve some help from those who have benefited from the unfair advantages of working in boys-club environments. That includes me. The tough part is convincing those who take those advantages for granted, that the point isn't to favor one gender over another, it's about parity. It's about equality. It's about leveling the playing field. So many of us have become comfortable with the status-quo that we feel something is being taken from us, when presented with the idea that some sacrifices need to be made, for the sake of equality.

That's not to say that women can't succeed without the help of men but they can't succeed if men won't give them equal time and recognition of their talents. So many times I watched women passed over for work/promotions, even when their skills surpassed mine. That hasn't happened at my current job... but at my previous job and as a freelance worker. I have spoken out about discrimination that I saw, sometimes to my own detriment. I can't in good conscience continue to move up if my female colleagues are not extended the same opportunities.

I wanna boost my good friend Deb (Debra1rlo, for those who remember). Long time KVR member and multi-instrumentalist for the Gitane Demone Quartet. She just started a new job at an LA studio and she worked damn hard to get where she is.

I'd encourage everyone to promote the work of women you know, today. Strike that... everday or at least some days. A friend, a family member- no matter what they do- take a moment to publicly show that you appreciate their work and their existence.
I'd really have to disagree with this. Nothing is stopping women from taking part. The reason why there aren't as many women in the industry is simply because many women are not as interested in it.

It's also already much, much easier for women who are in the industry to achieve their goals simply because they are women. The ones who are in it are usually put on a pedestal just because they're women.

When I was trying to get DJ gigs, I'd have to bust my ass for years just to get my first opportunity, meanwhile there were a few DJs who were female that came out of no where and DJing at all of the places that I've dreamed of simply because they had tits.

So no, they shouldn't be receiving additional special treatment on top of the special treatment they're already receiving... or "reparations", because it's already easier for them if they want to be in the industry.
You are currently reading my signature.

What evidence do you have to back up these beliefs? Because all of the research indicates that women are systematically discouraged, excluded, passed over, and discriminated against in favor of men when it comes to STEM or STEAM fields of study and practice. This is not my biased opinion, but the conclusions drawn from virtually all research into the problem. We as a society are to blame, and we as a society need to acknowledge the imbalance and work to address it.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:What evidence do you have to back up these beliefs? Because all of the research indicates that women are systematically discouraged, excluded, passed over, and discriminated against in favor of men when it comes to STEM or STEAM fields of study and practice. This is not my biased opinion, but the conclusions drawn from virtually all research into the problem. We as a society are to blame, and we as a society need to acknowledge the imbalance and work to address it.

When I was an academic (STEM) we found that discrimination occurred prior to University applications. There was no bias in the selection process at all, the difference was in the numbers applying. Nor was there any gender problem with academic success once the students arrived. Nor with employment outcomes first year out.

Once out the female engineers hit up against the existing power networks, but this also is not a 'male' thing, most men also hit up against the vile bullying hierarchy that predominates in engineering (where I am anyway). Women who are equally self-centred, ruthless and aggressive can and do succeed.

Greater equity in the STEM workplace for women is not value free - it actually requires a shift in workplace and social organisation that benefits most men as well.

Vortifex wrote:
aMUSEd wrote:inequality is a problem but invisibility is made worse when people don't even acknowledge the contribution that women have already made and continue to make.

http://www.msmodular.com/?page_id=2
I guess it's a bit of a catch 22 - you can't acknowledge people that you don't know about. Off the top of my head the only contemporary female electronic music producer I can name is Grimes, and even she's more pop than electronic. But then I'm not exactly 'down with the kids' these days so there's probably quite a few up-and-coming female electronic artists I've not heard of.

PS I searched for 'female EDM producers' on Google and it brought up a row of portraits including Kylie Minogue, Nicki Minaj, Beyoncé and Madonna :dog:
Off the top of my head: Holly Herndon, Kaitlyn Aurelia Smith and not least Björk. In a recent interview the latter mentioned how after 25+ years as a solo artist people still assume someone else (a man) "produces" her music while she only composes, sings and wears peculiar costumes.

Personally I'd like to see more female musicians getting into the "geeky" parts of music because I think it would add variety and push the "scene" in a more enjoyable direction.

It probably doesn't help that one of the biggest muso sites on the net is called Gearslutz.

Vortifex wrote:It probably doesn't help that one of the biggest muso sites on the net is called Gearslutz.
Reaper forum has some fairly sexist commentators. I doubt it is the only one, although I haven’t noticed it so much on the Magix forums, or composer forums that seem to be actively moderated

nvm
Last edited by murnau on Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

Vortifex wrote:It probably doesn't help that one of the biggest muso sites on the net is called Gearslutz.
I don't go to that site exactly for that reason.

Just want to say thanks to the mods who cleaned this thread up. Definitely a big +1 from me :tu:

Really appreciate that they are keeping this place clean.

Here's a really neat video of Imogen Heaps The Making of me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_5TWQYgL5M
:borg:

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”