Women producers!! Where are you!

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

V0RT3X wrote:Just want to say thanks to the mods who cleaned this thread up. Definitely a big +1 from me :tu:

Really appreciate that they are keeping this place clean.

Here's a really neat video of Imogen Heaps The Making of me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8_5TWQYgL5M
Really love the Heap :tu:

djanthonyw wrote:
justin3am wrote:Not only do women deserve more respect/recognition, they deserve some help from those who have benefited from the unfair advantages of working in boys-club environments. That includes me. The tough part is convincing those who take those advantages for granted, that the point isn't to favor one gender over another, it's about parity. It's about equality. It's about leveling the playing field. So many of us have become comfortable with the status-quo that we feel something is being taken from us, when presented with the idea that some sacrifices need to be made, for the sake of equality.

That's not to say that women can't succeed without the help of men but they can't succeed if men won't give them equal time and recognition of their talents. So many times I watched women passed over for work/promotions, even when their skills surpassed mine. That hasn't happened at my current job... but at my previous job and as a freelance worker. I have spoken out about discrimination that I saw, sometimes to my own detriment. I can't in good conscience continue to move up if my female colleagues are not extended the same opportunities.

I wanna boost my good friend Deb (Debra1rlo, for those who remember). Long time KVR member and multi-instrumentalist for the Gitane Demone Quartet. She just started a new job at an LA studio and she worked damn hard to get where she is.

I'd encourage everyone to promote the work of women you know, today. Strike that... everday or at least some days. A friend, a family member- no matter what they do- take a moment to publicly show that you appreciate their work and their existence.
I'd really have to disagree with this. Nothing is stopping women from taking part. The reason why there aren't as many women in the industry is simply because many women are not as interested in it.

It's also already much, much easier for women who are in the industry to achieve their goals simply because they are women. The ones who are in it are usually put on a pedestal just because they're women.

When I was trying to get DJ gigs, I'd have to bust my ass for years just to get my first opportunity, meanwhile there were a few DJs who were female that came out of no where and DJing at all of the places that I've dreamed of simply because they had tits.

So no, they shouldn't be receiving additional special treatment on top of the special treatment they're already receiving... or "reparations", because it's already easier for them if they want to be in the industry.
How utterly stupid. It looks like EDM shows are the beginning and end of your experience in this world. Yet somehow you apply it to the whole wide world, as though it requires no reflection at all to do.
Last edited by jancivil on Sun Mar 11, 2018 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Reminds me of the last Oscar ceremony 8) (I didn't watch it, but they showed the part where an actress asked female colleagues to stand up.)

Also reminds me of a documentary on the brain. They said that women's superiority in multitasking comes at a price, namely that on average they are clearly less focused on what they are doing. There are exceptions on both sides of course, but still...
Same with cooking. At home it is traditionally women that do the cooking, but when you look at professional chefs, the vast majority are men.

Some of the songs from Diane Warren are masterpieces in pop&rock. I enjoyed them much back in my teenage years.
Whoever wants music instead of noise, joy instead of pleasure, soul instead of gold, creative work instead of business, passion instead of foolery, finds no home in this trivial world of ours.

S0lo wrote:Would love to see some numbers/statistics showing how many woman vs. men in this industry? Just to quantify matters a bit and have some thing more material to talk about.
that is only possible when 'this industry' is defined.

Everyone on the internet is a straight white male by default, unless clearly indicated otherwise.

fluffy_little_something wrote:Reminds me of the last Oscar ceremony 8) (I didn't watch it, but they showed the part where an actress asked female colleagues to stand up.)

Also reminds me of a documentary on the brain. They said that women's superiority in multitasking comes at a price, namely that on average they are clearly less focused on what they are doing. There are exceptions on both sides of course, but still...
Same with cooking. At home it is traditionally women that do the cooking, but when you look at professional chefs, the vast majority are men.
Sigh. :roll: I'm only going to address the one element here:

Human brains do not multitask. Anything you've read saying they do is misinformed.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

fluffy_little_something wrote: Also reminds me of a documentary on the brain. They said that women's superiority in multitasking comes at a price, namely that on average they are clearly less focused on what they are doing. There are exceptions on both sides of course, but still...
Really desperate attempt to make your misogyny seem legit. Mention something which sounded sciency to you in order to launch into the point you want. Passing silly.

jancivil wrote:
S0lo wrote:Would love to see some numbers/statistics showing how many woman vs. men in this industry? Just to quantify matters a bit and have some thing more material to talk about.
that is only possible when 'this industry' is defined.
Never mind. Remove "this Industry" and replace it with "music production". As the title of this thread says "Producers". if thats not defined either. then, I guess this thread needs to go back to point zero and define that.
www.solostuff.net
Advice is heavy. So don’t send it like a mountain.

jancivil wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote: Also reminds me of a documentary on the brain. They said that women's superiority in multitasking comes at a price, namely that on average they are clearly less focused on what they are doing. There are exceptions on both sides of course, but still...
Really desperate attempt to make your misogyny seem legit. Mention something which sounded sciency to you in order to launch into the point you want. Passing silly.
Quite to the contrary, I like women much more than men.
It didn't sound sciency to me, it was scientists explaining the differences between the typical male and female brain.

fluffy_little_something wrote:
jancivil wrote:
Quite to the contrary, I like women much more than men.
It didn't sound sciency to me, it was scientists explaining the differences between the typical male and female brain.
You don’t suppose the predominance of professional male chefs could be yet another example of an area in which women are discriminated against? Nah, it must just be that men are better cooks? Or that women aren’t interested in cooking as a career? Of course, this all stems from the assumption that your original assertion is true... I have no idea of the male to female ratio of professional chefs.

Can you not see the bias in this reasoning? The assumption that a gender gap in any field indicates a lack of interest or some innate physiological difference between men and women?
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Well, again, I did not make up what they said about brain differences. But what they said might explain why men dominate in many areas, why they win most Nobel prizes etc. In the documentary they said that on average women are more intelligent than men, but with men the spectrum is much wider, i.e. there are a lot of stupid men, but also a lot of geniuses. With women that is not so much the case, the distribution above and below the average is less.

Here they also say something like that:
https://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/ho ... en-genders
"The gray-white matter difference may explain why, in adulthood, females are great multi-taskers, while men excel in highly task-focused projects."

fluffy_little_something wrote: Here they also say something like that:
"The gray-white matter difference may explain why, in adulthood, females are great multi-taskers, while men excel in highly task-focused projects."
It only took me a few seconds to find a number of studies which debunked the claims asserted in that article. Also, the author, based on his other published work, appears to be promoting a religion-based agenda for raising children differently according to their gender. I also found some legal proceedings where he was in conflict with his son’s school over the disciplinary actions they had taken. It all looks pretty sketchy to be honest.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

deastman wrote:
fluffy_little_something wrote: Here they also say something like that:
It only took me a few seconds to find a number of studies which debunked the claims asserted in that article. Also, the author, based on his other published work, appears to be promoting a religion-based agenda for raising children differently according to their gender. I also found some legal proceedings where he was in conflict with his son’s school over the disciplinary actions they had taken. It all looks pretty sketchy to be honest.
Sadly, we need to keep stuff like that ALWAYS in mind when quoting ANY study. As long as you don't have an insider's insight into how the study was really conducted, and as long as you don't know who's paying the bills.. be wary.

I dont think the evidence for multi-tasking etc is very good. There is evidence on differences in commisures (hemispheric connectivity) during development. I did some work on that. I have no doubt there are differences between male and female brains. Can't see why that should have any impact on how we value men and women or any other group, or how we value individuals. Differences are never that great and always based on averages so should have no bearing whatsoever on how individuals are treated or on the appalling stupidity and bigotry of what is obviously widespread gendered based discrimination.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”