What is the most stupid thing you've ever done with music gear/computer etc?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

donkey tugger wrote:
Nocturnal909 wrote:I left the side panel off my desk top and a mouse pissed and died on the sound card....
Then I goggled mouse died in my computer....
Apparently Deadmous5 computer beat me to his name first!
Those bastards...

Back in the mists of time when I was a student and lived in a shared house, a mouse died inside the back of the fridge. It was the most disgusting smell which we couldn't work out was coming from. :scared:
on the bright side, free meat!

A bandmate once thought he knew all that he needed to know about paralleling amps and decided it was a good idea to plug the speaker output of his newly acquired solid state bass amp into one of the two parallel sockets of his bass speaker cabinet along with his vintage tube amp. I suggested that it was a bad idea, but, he insisted that he knew what he was doing. Loud pop, and things stopped working. He said, and I quote, "it probably just blew a fuse." Well, yes it did, naturally. I suggested that it was an even worse idea to wrap said blown fuse in tin foil and reinsert to try again, but he was far too clever for my captain naysayer book learnin and did it anyway. That was one impressive shower of sparks, pops, smells, and grey smoke. Yes, in case you're wondering, I did say "I told you so." And yes, I said it exactly like that, in an annoying and condescending tone.

He returned the (solid sate) amp to the pawn shop and they gave him his money back. He told them that it just didn't turn on. I'm conflicted on how I feel about that because, well, pawn shop.

Sampleconstruct wrote:I put a Zoom recorder on a rock at the seashore to capture the wave, fortunately the flash card still worked after the Tsunami had struck, so that one wav file has a special value for me, the Zoom was buried in the Baltic Sea.
You don't actually need to go in the sea to make wav files you know :lol:

sorry couldn't resist
THIS IS MY MUSIC: http://spoti.fi/45P2xls :phones:

vurt wrote:
donkey tugger wrote:
Nocturnal909 wrote:I left the side panel off my desk top and a mouse pissed and died on the sound card....
Then I goggled mouse died in my computer....
Apparently Deadmous5 computer beat me to his name first!
Those bastards...

Back in the mists of time when I was a student and lived in a shared house, a mouse died inside the back of the fridge. It was the most disgusting smell which we couldn't work out was coming from. :scared:
on the bright side, free meat!
But...would it last for the week? That, as you know is always the important question.
mftw.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Let's see:
- Lack of backups (luckily I lost only a few personal projects and, looking back, they were not that good; but it hurted me anyway, because in those moments I always felt I lost my greatest ideas... and I just felt stupid for the lack of backups, because I knew I should have done them).
- Trying to perform the snare mod on my Volca beats with a standard 12€ iron. You need a very thin tip and possibly a temperature controlled iron for tasks like that...
- Messing with power supplies on diy projects. I wanted to share the same power supply for two devices (with different power requirements) and, as a consequence, I sent some wrong voltages inside my diy modular. Luckily I only blew four 555 timers, but I felt really stupid because the consequences could have been way more serious and I should have known better. I guess that's how you learn... I still remember the smell, though.
free multisamples (last upd: 22th May 2021).
-------------------------
I vote with my wallet.

Lend it out.

NEVER EVER lend valuable gear to fucktards.

A lesson very quickly learned.

AnX wrote:Lend it out.

NEVER EVER lend valuable gear.
Fixed that for you.

let’s see...

Chopped off the disk-protect checking part of the internal drive on my first Amiga. Without opening it.

I walked on the neck of a dude’s Ibanez RG. He left it lying near my drum stool, I had very long hair and after reharsals all those hairs made impossible to see things around me properly.
Always viewed it as a group effort, though.
sin night wrote:Let's see:
- Trying to perform the snare mod on my Volca beats with a standard 12€ iron. You need a very thin tip and possibly a temperature controlled iron for tasks like that...
Check, lots of damage done with those, although I succesfully bent a few Grillo Parlante (S.A.S) and silenced most of the noise from my latest C64. I remember killing a Furby within seconds.

The latest. Another drum stool involved, which was used to seat in front of a small table with the Korg Volcas. I left my Teac tapedeck on it and struck one of the drumstool legs with my enormous foot.
I kicked that drumstool before so I wasn’t surprised of the outcome.

waiting man wrote:let’s see...

Chopped off the disk-protect checking part of the internal drive on my first Amiga. Without opening it.

I walked on the neck of a dude’s Ibanez RG. He left it lying near my drum stool, I had very long hair and after reharsals all those hairs made impossible to see things around me properly.
Check, lots of damage done with those, although I succesfully bent a few Grillo Parlante (S.A.S) and silenced most of the noise from my latest C64. I remember killing a Furby within seconds.

The latest. Another drum stool involved, which was used to seat in front of a small table with the Korg Volcas. I left my Teac tapedeck on it and struck one of the drumstool legs with my enormous foot.
You are not allowed in my studio.

ghettosynth wrote:
waiting man wrote:let’s see...

You are not allowed in my studio.
Safety first :tu:

Used a dusting cloth previously just used with isopropal alchol cleaner on a keyboard - nice smearing of the manufacturers graphics!!! grrr

another one:
Bought as a gift for a friend one of those Mp3 playing pedals (probably Nux brand).
Coudn’t resist the temptation of leaving some nasty mp3s in it so I plugged it blindly to a power supply which was 9v Boss pedals compatible.
Polarity was inverse so bye bye pedal, nice knowing you, hellofagift.

I always minded power supply requirements, only not that time. :scared:

how's this, in 1978 I bought a 1972 Fender tele custom, black with maple neck just like the one Keef is often pictured with. In the early 80's I refinished it staining it and replacing the plastic knobs with chrome ones. I decided instead of buying a suitable metal guitar I would mod what turned out to be a very sought after year and model, true classic. Fist up was the bridge and pick-up because I wanted a brass bridge (yes did not match the bridge) and I added a new duncan 1/4 pounder. So far so good, no permanent changes, the owner before me had put schaller machine heads on it as well as a brass nut so it was on it's way. The 1/4 pounder did not do the job though so my next addition was a duncan invader in the neck spot (remember the tele custom has a single coil in the bridge and a humbucker in the neck).

Next up was another invader for the bridge, this meant modding the body as well as the bridge because the tele custom bridge also held the pup, no problem because the custom had the oversize pickguard which would cover that and I used a hacksaw blade in my jigsaw to cut the bridge (it was a little crooked but the was precedent there). That was great but I wanted more, I bought an EH Muff Fuzz, the very little one that plugged into your amp, stripped it out of it's case and put in holes in the pickguard for the switch and knobs because there was plenty of room for it in the guitar. At this point the battery was an issue so I split the big pickguard in two so I could access the electronic cavity to change the battery without removing the strings. Needless to say this turned out to be a very noisy guitar, but one luthier friend at a music store suggested I invented the first 50 watt guitar. My dad worked for Raytheon so he brought home some shielding tape and I did up the cavity well but it didn't help with the hiss and a friend of mine painted it black again.

I found a company (not emg) that made a switch pre-amp that was three position, no boost, +6db +0-20db and swapped that in and about this time Floyd Rose was doing well but the Kahlers had come out and I wanted a Kahler. I did buy one, at an old farm on a work bench with a drill and a chisel I hogged out the hole in the top of the guitar for the unit to fit and fortunately the neck with a Kahler didn't need the nut replaced, the locks were behind the nut. Now it was getting there and I had a ball doing divebombs with tons of feedback and I liked it better than a strat except for two things, the volume knob position and the body contours.

One afternoon before a band practice I went to my friend's dad's house and borrowed is hole saw and put a hole in the body to move the volume knob up snug to the strings and later I used a sander to add the body contours, I used a spray can to try and match the paint. Finally that same luthier friend had a Charvel neck laying around he gave me so I swapped the necks so now I had a Charvel tele...sort of...more like a thing that made noise like a guitar, but it did have the infamous three bolt neck so often I had to snap the neck back into place.

When all my gear got stolen that was taken too, I often wondered what happened to that guitar because it looked like utter shite but actually played well and was a metal machine (hiss machine too). I also wonder what I would have done with the money I could have sold that guitar for had I left it as it was when I bought it. :oops:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I was one of the first people to own the Townsend Lab Sphere modelling microphone system... Mine serial number 003 purchased during the Indiegogo Campaign.

Two weeks in , I had made a custom weighted stand to keep it from falling over. Working late and tired... I knocked the now weighted stand over with my foot as I was crawling behind a rack to replace a bad mic cable and totally screwed the mic. I literally kicked the stand over.

I contacted the company via email inquiring about ordering a replacement and fully disclosed my stupidity. I was not asking for any favours. Townsend Labs airmailed a replacement mic out to me on their dime and made it policy via email that anyone who did anything as stupid would get similar treatment provided they had bought it during the Indiegogo campaign.

True story.

never mind.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”