Do You Register Your Copyrights

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.

Do You Register Your Copyrights

YES, because I'm a beautiful musical genius babe magnet and I have a future
18%
No, because I don't understand
18%
No, because it costs money to register copyrights and I'm a cheap bastard
No votes
No, because I'm a slacker and don't care if people steal my music
24%
No, because of other reasons
41%

Total votes: 17

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Or how about a Copyright lawyer ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9EYX7BlVeoY

.. and of course the biggest reason to register copyrights if you're outside the U.S. is so you can cruise up on girls at the club and be all like "... yeah, and I was thinking about my copyrights and I was like, yeah, I think I'll register them in the United States because our local copyright law just isn't that strong, and I don't want people ripping off my sweet ass tracks" lol. So then she and all the other girls at the club can be like "Wow you know a lot about copyrights, can we have your babies .." :love: :love: :love: :love: :love: and you can be all like 8)

low_low wrote: I'm obviously NOT a lawyer
Oh bugger, for a sec I thought your member name was law_law, our saviour.

There never is a lawyer around here when you need one. Is there a negative correlation maybe? Do you know of any lawyers that make music? Plenty coders but no lawyers...
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Hi low_low,

How you doin'?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

BertKoor wrote:
low_low wrote: I'm obviously NOT a lawyer
Oh bugger, for a sec I thought your member name was law_law, our saviour.

There never is a lawyer around here when you need one. Is there a negative correlation maybe? Do you know of any lawyers that make music? Plenty coders but no lawyers...
when my dad died a very hideous person sued me for a rather large amount, this of course means needing a lawyer. At that time my lawyer was 300 bux an hour, things came to an end right after my deposition, even before we were able to dispose the plaintiff. My lawyer played guitar, he was a very cocky guy and petty, but he also knew my history with music and working in music retail. One day I had an appointment near the office at the VA and I stopped by the office to pay that month's bill. I was handing the check to the receptionist when he walked out of the office, asked me one tiny question about the case and went back in his office, next month I was billed 75 bux for paying my bill. :?

The day of my deposition was a long day going into Boston with him, we were on our way back and he said "well now that's over I wanted to talk to you about what it would take to set up a studio".

I looked back at him t knowing we are still on the clock without missing a beat and said, "I'll tell you what Rob, give me a call when I'm not paying you 300 bux an hour and we'll set something up". I then spent the next hour picking his brain :tu:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Aloysius wrote:Hi low_low,

How you doin'?
Doing great hello Aloysius.

low_low wrote:For example ... WITHOUT registration if some big biz used your song you might sue them in court, pay your own attorney, and end up with 5,000$us in damages. WITH registration, statutory damages are up to 150,000$us PER OCCURANCE (if willful) plus attorney fees, AND it isn't limited to the 5,000$us that you suffered in damages.
The picture you paint is a bit too rosy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statutory ... fringement
wikipedia wrote:In the United States, statutory damages are set out in 17 U.S.C. § 504 of the U.S. Code. The basic level of damages is between $750 and $30,000 per work, at the discretion of the court.

Plaintiffs who can show willful infringement may be entitled to damages up to $150,000 per work. Defendants who can show that they were "not aware and had no reason to believe" they were infringing copyright may have the damages reduced to $200 per work.
If you write a lot, then registration can cost more than all the VSTi's and other gear you have. So it can be a serious investment of which it's uncertain it will ever pay itself back. If you're not in it for the money, then I don't really see the point...

BertKoor wrote:
low_low wrote:For example ... WITHOUT registration if some big biz used your song you might sue them in court, pay your own attorney, and end up with 5,000$us in damages. WITH registration, statutory damages are up to 150,000$us PER OCCURANCE (if willful) plus attorney fees, AND it isn't limited to the 5,000$us that you suffered in damages.
The picture you paint is a bit too rosy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Statutory ... fringement
wikipedia wrote:In the United States, statutory damages are set out in 17 U.S.C. § 504 of the U.S. Code. The basic level of damages is between $750 and $30,000 per work, at the discretion of the court.

Plaintiffs who can show willful infringement may be entitled to damages up to $150,000 per work. Defendants who can show that they were "not aware and had no reason to believe" they were infringing copyright may have the damages reduced to $200 per work.
If you write a lot, then registration can cost more than all the VSTi's and other gear you have. So it can be a serious investment of which it's uncertain it will ever pay itself back. If you're not in it for the money, then I don't really see the point...
No idea what the point is with your wikipedia entry since it's says the same thing as the lawyer in the video above and I said ... 150,000$us for willful infringement per occurance. The entry says its less if it isn't intentional ... which ... is the same thing.

On your second point, it's money, 35$us ... you pays your money and you takes your chances.

Nobody likes paying for insurance ... until they need it.

When all you are doing is looping samples I don't know how you can assume it's yours to begin with. It's a free for all now unless you have the money to buy the law upfront.

Dasheesh wrote:It's a free for all now unless you have the money to buy the law upfront.
Exactly, which is why you register copyright :D That IS buying the law upfront. You're literally buying something that will cause the law to work in your favor, that will cause a court to recognize you as the owner of a song, that will cause you have a better position in a lawsuit with special privileges, etc. It's a certificate from the government that says you own the work, like a pink slip for a car, or a deed for a house. And for the rest of your life maybe people will take things away from you, but they'll never take away the rights to that song.

fair enough.

My point is that the $35 you pay is a lottery ticket that might pay you back only $200 in case of unintended infringement. The amount of $150.000 is not guaranteed but only a ceiling. Up to a judge to decide how much you get. So imho the only party guaranteed to get better off is the registration office. Artists that are struggling to get even noticed and have problems paying their bills in the first place, can spend their money in better ways. Just my opinion ofcourse..

and, George Harrison didn't mean to cop the melody of She's So Fine...

It is important to do so, I think.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”