One ear hears better than the other

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi guys,

So... I know that humans are not perfectly symmetrical, and it is normal that one might have one ear hearing slightly better the other. But my situation is kind of becoming a small problem.

I recently shared one of my tracks with my friend and he asked why I pan the lead slightly to the right. I told him that I felt it was slightly focused onto the left so i adjusted it to the right and it was supposed to be in the middle now. But after checking with two other persons, they all agree that my leaded was now somewhat panned to the right.

I think my left ear is probably hearing better (or at least perceiving sound louder) than my right ear. But I also remembered that the night when I was mixing the track, it was a long session already, I had been sitting there producing for a couple hours. So could be due to the fatigue.

Nonetheless, I think my overall hearing is still good. I did a test a couple weeks ago, I am at age 21 and I can hear almost up to 19 kHz, for both ears. Also I clean my ear regularly, so shouldn't be due to the wax. :hihi:

Anyway, I am wondering if anybody else have similar concerns? And how would you deal with this problem. My currently idea is to pan master slightly but I am not sure if that's a good idea (probably not, shouldn't mess up with master channel) Thanks in advance for your reply! :tu:
Trance, Trance Is Life

If your hearing test "Response Curve" shows a difference between each ear exactly where an instrument sits, that could cause the problem. Try to compensate with an EQ set up as an A/B in your master. As a hardware strategy, try using a studio monitor controller to set up different configurations.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

It's normal, relax...

If you mix with cans, put them on reversed to check whenever in doubt.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

Are you a humanoid?
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Wow...19khz at a quiet volume is really an excellent hf hearing.

Michael L wrote:If your hearing test "Response Curve" shows a difference between each ear exactly where an instrument sits, that could cause the problem. Try to compensate with an EQ set up as an A/B in your master. As a hardware strategy, try using a studio monitor controller to set up different configurations.
Alright, I will try to do the response curve test and see what comes out. Thanks for the advice. :tu:

Aloysius wrote:Are you a humanoid?
Nope...why? :borg:

BertKoor wrote:It's normal, relax...
If you mix with cans, put them on reversed to check whenever in doubt.
Thanks! That's a relief. Reversing cans sounds very promising. :tu:

Calderon wrote:Wow...19khz at a quiet volume is really an excellent hf hearing.
Thank you! I guess that's because I hardly listen to music on headphone until like age 16 and when using a headphone I always keep the volume low. :phones:
Trance, Trance Is Life

you sure you just don't sit at an odd angle?

chk071 wrote:Déjà vu.
No, otherwise it would be 14kHz (bit of a handicap) instead of 19kHz (anyone should settle for that) and 30 years instead of 19.
We are the KVR collective. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated. Image
My MusicCalc is served over https!!

vurt wrote:you sure you just don't sit at an odd angle?
I actually did most of my mix on headphones, because my room is not ideal for monitors. So I guess my sitting angle probably won't have that much of influence? But a good thing to keep in mind if I finally set up a good pair of monitors. (I have no idea how I sit when producing though, hopefully not in some odd angle or position :hihi: )
Trance, Trance Is Life

BertKoor wrote:
chk071 wrote:Déjà vu.
No, otherwise it would be 14kHz (bit of a handicap) instead of 19kHz (anyone should settle for that) and 30 years instead of 19.
No, a 14Khz limit is not a handicap.

It would be if you couldn't hear anything above or below 14 KHz.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote:It would be if you couldn't hear anything above or below 14 KHz.

It depends actually of what you call an "handicap", I would prefer to speak about "limitation"

If you can't hear anything above 14kh :

1. You can still use a spectrul visualizer

2. Most of the "air" sound is not very important above 14khz

3. Most of the time, the content above 14khz is fading. So if everything sounds good up to 14khz, it will sound good above.

4. You can ask for review.

5. You can also filter out or even cut some of the high frequencies. Some engineers cut everything above 16 or 17khz. You can even reduce the hf a bit for a filter to prevent harshness. Of course, it will have an impact to how your music sounds, but it can also give a character to your music. I listened for example to a Trance/Dance album where the high frequencies where, at the mastering, reduced. The result is impressive, it gives some warmth to the album, by focusing more on the mid/high mid frequencies.

Of course, the High frequencies were not totally absent (if not, it would sound bad), it was just voluntarily reduced, and it gave definitely to the music a character ! :)

While it could not be a solution for a mixing/mastering engineer (because the client wants "that precise sound" it may be a solution for a producer or any professional mixing his own music.

read what he wrote again ;) :hihi:

hhuang9611 wrote:
vurt wrote:you sure you just don't sit at an odd angle?
I actually did most of my mix on headphones, because my room is not ideal for monitors. So I guess my sitting angle probably won't have that much of influence? But a good thing to keep in mind if I finally set up a good pair of monitors. (I have no idea how I sit when producing though, hopefully not in some odd angle or position :hihi: )
well, yeah, in that case posture wont effect hearing.
but! take it from me, good posture at your age will save you being knackered by my age :lol:

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”