I propose all-out mutiny on Gearslutz. Who's with me?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote:Nothing bad about moderation, BTW. Sometimes i feel like this place is the wild west.
There are mods here too and they do fine job, start messing only when things go out of control, but they go out of the control fast, because some folks just like the drama, but better to have little drama, than mod dictatorship.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

Zexila wrote:
chk071 wrote:Nothing bad about moderation, BTW. Sometimes i feel like this place is the wild west.
There are mods here too and they do fine job, start messing only when things go out of control, but they go out of the control fast, because some folks just like the drama, but better to have little drama, than mod dictatorship.
I agree. I think everything in moderation, including moderation. I've seen far worse than what goes on here, though I rarely come across all-out flamewars. Then again, I don't read every thread.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

ty from all of us :)
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

Send heisenberg => problem solved.

Zexila wrote:
I always wondered why moderation is considered "dictatorship". We're all here on behalf of the site owners, who pay the bills, and provide a forum to discuss because they want too. Can't see much dictatorship about picking out the foul apples so that the big majority who behaves has a nice and friendly climate to discuss, and, basically, use the forums for its intended use.

chk071 wrote:
Zexila wrote:
I always wondered why moderation is considered "dictatorship". We're all here on behalf of the site owners, who pay the bills, and provide a forum to discuss because they want too. Can't see much dictatorship about picking out the foul apples so that the big majority who behaves has a nice and friendly climate to discuss, and, basically, use the forums for its intended use.
Agree, but here we are mainly talking about mod's over GS, who go beyond all that, I'm all for golden middle, but they went far into extreme censorship and dictatorship.
This entire forum is wading through predictions, opinions, barely formed thoughts, drama, and whining. If you don't enjoy that, why are you here? :D ShawnG

As if there's no censorship here. :lol:
You are currently reading my signature.

djanthonyw wrote:As if there's no censorship here. :lol:
Only for piracy as far as I recall, please do tell if you noticed anything more?

Anything which is against the rules... :) That's what i meant really. This is a privately run site, no platform for freedom of speech. Just like any other forum on the internet.

chk071 wrote:Anything which is against the rules... :) That's what i meant really. This is a privately run site, no platform for freedom of speech. Just like any other forum on the internet.
Of course, but still we have enough freedom of speech over here, no developers are under glass bell, I see people trash developers every day and only obvious few post today's account trolls get lifted, Edgar&co, because they start getting nasty, I don't remember any active member banned because he put his opinion nicely, it was other way around, they got emotional and nasty.

Doesn't happen on Gearslutz either though, does it? TBH, i've seen a lot of nasty threads on GS as well.

BTW, i could totally understand if they would deleted iLok topics. That's so annoying here. It's all the same, again and again, anyway. Single individuals who rant about it, with the always same-ish arguments, and which make a generality out of it.
Last edited by chk071 on Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chk071 wrote:Doesn't happen on Gearslutz either though, does it? TBH, i've seen a lot of nasty threads on GS as well.
Check again, they are probably gone, few times I wanted to check again on some discussions and if you can find it again, it's already raided and mod approved, just praises and butt kissing. :lol:

chk071 wrote:
Zexila wrote:
Moderation is only considered such by Americans (sorry) who beat their breasts about the 1st Amendment, without actually knowing what they are talking about. Moderation becomes a 'dictatorship' when there is a clear conflict of interest, in GS's case, the siding with corporate entities who pay for advertising, and other perks (which seem to include shutting down criticism of their products and/or policies). AFAIC, this kind of thing goes too far in the opposite direction for which such a forum was originally intended. If someone has a real issue with a corporate entity, they should be free to express that publicly. That, of course, is just my opinion, but, as I said, I am not a participating member of GS, or, for that matter, any other forum that is moderated in a biased way, with favourite (or financially contributing) members getting passes for behaviour that gets other people sanctioned. Another really bad forum is 'Acoustic Guitar,' where you have very heavy-handed mods who'll warn you or ban you for blinking out of turn, as well as letting their favourite members mob any poor soul who happens to ask the wrong question, or express an unorthodox opinion. No, afai can tell, KVR does a pretty decent job straddling the line between free-for-all, and jack-booted dictatorship.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

As i mentioned, i don't frequent GS forums. But, companies have their forums here as well, and moderate those themselves. What's the difference? Again, we are all here on behalf of the site owners. Is it so objectionable to think then that there is a certain conflict of interest, when companies advertising here actually pay the bills for the site owners? Let's face it, KVR also lives from companies advertising here.

I don't think that is really the point here though. Rather the subjective perception of bans, or mods doing their job. When i get banned because i said that Steinberg sucks, and i get into big arguments with other members over it, of course i'm pissed off, and blame mods taking party for big companies. That doesn't mean that my point is valid though. In fact, i have yet to visit a forum where a single ban wasn't justified, and i've really been around forums for a long time now. Moderation, and administration is probably some of the most ungrateful work on the internet. Just like being a policeman is a pretty ungrateful job.

If companies pay for their own forum on a site, then they can do what they want in their little bailliwick. Fine. It's when they try to influence other parts of the site that are not under their paid control where I'd say the conflict of interest takes place. I don't frequent any corporate sites like IKM, or Epiphone, etc.

I guess it comes down to many factors what individuals are willing to put up with. Coming from my culture and with my personal history, I tend to side with the individual over a corporation 99% of the time. Corporations do not generally encourage freedom of speech. Further, give some people a uniform and they become thugs. Social Psych studies have borne that out. Give some people a moderator's badge, and the possibility of becoming a heavy-handed authority figure increases as well. You don't have to tell me about admin and moderating a site being a thankless task, I know that all too well. Won't go into details here, though.
-Martin Luther King Jr.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”