Stop buying music stuff? Are you ready? Am I?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Recently I've been on a learning bender. I'm trying to learn the linnstrument in lieu of a keyboard and gain some mastery over notation. It seems that either I'm slapping myself on the back and then in the face everyday as I try to work these things out.

Along the way I've lost interest in... DAWS, virtual instruments, effects (both virtual and hardware) and guitars. Guitars. I love playing guitar. I love thinking about guitars. I love buying guitars. I've been thinking about buying this one guitar for about 6 months now. Saved up the money and then I asked myself a question.... Do I need it?

Most days I've just been pining away at the linnstrument trying to get better with a piano plugin. I have neither time nor inclination to open a daw afterwards and I find myself playing guitar less. Usually the answer is.... buy another guitar fall in love all over again and dust the others off for a booty call.

Have you ever had that moment where it's just.... Nah I'll work with what I have and focus on technique?
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

ban this rebel!

I once had two guitars at the same time. Didn't last long.

I have too much nerve damage to have any technique past finger drumming. My right hand is getting pretty good again.
I'm focused on composition. Being able to nail rhythms or get fairly close anyway serves me presently. It's all DAW all the time for me, I can do something pretty stupid and arrange/orchestrate it right and it sounds so grand it's hilarious. This is where I have technique.

tapper mike wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:55 pmHave you ever had that moment where it's just.... Nah I'll work with what I have and focus on technique?
Sort of. One reason to reduce my huge plugin park is the resulting compulsion to work with the tools at hand instead of buying a new helper for every occuring idea, task or "problem".

tbh, i am almost there.
my modular is coming to fully complete (as far as my plan anyway)
theres a few pedals.
and either get the electrics sorted on my sg or pick up a new sg.

other than that, barring any equipment failure (im looking at you computer :x ) theres nothing im wanting.

like you say, while its not necessarily "technique" but digging further in to the modular, as im still finding new sounds and rhythms and such in the beast.
so once the final few modules are in, its sitting down and milking each ones potential, then learning to put that all together to make fun noises :hyper:
also, doing more "autonomous" patches, then playing along with "heavily effected" guitar :D

Welp....I just went for Waves Abbey Road Chambers. I was getting spammed for Waves stuff in my browser (thanks Google Chrome!) saw it was 'on sale' for €44. Went to Thomann and saw it for €28. Decided what the hey... Downloading as I write.

IIRC, I tried this a couple of years ago, and held on pretty well...until I saw the 'sale' of Synth One and the other one. Other than guitar strings (which don't count!!!), I don't foresee any further purchases.

Certainly not Sampletank 4. :hihi:
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

I've stopped. Cool.

vurt wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:57 pmban this rebel!
Don't worry, I reported him
A well-behaved signature.

Yeah, I thought I was strong enough. Apparently buying gear is my one true joy in life.
Dell Vostro i9 64GB Ram Windows 11 Pro, Cubase, Bitwig, Mixcraft Guitar Pod Go, Linntrument Nektar P1, Novation Launchpad

I ordered a DeepMind 6 earlier today, so no I am not ready to stop....and it's not a weakness, I really neeeeeeeeed this, I keep telling myself.

- I do..
- I do...
- I do....

and then I crossmodulate LFO1 into LFO2

- I'd..
- I'd..
-I'd..

then increase LFO 2 frequency a bit

- and I really do..
- and I really do love this...
- and I really do need this...

and I do love this exploration. :)

tapper mike wrote: Thu Feb 28, 2019 7:55 pm...

Have you ever had that moment where it's just.... Nah I'll work with what I have and focus on technique?
Yes.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

I'm fine working with what I have and get things signed. But new gear (or just demos) inspire me to try new things and keep going.

On the other hand, it takes way much time to do everything I want in the area of music. Learning new plugins, new techniques or entire new styles is a SLOW process and takes long before it pays off in actually finished tracks.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

^ Good point. Sometimes it might be better to get a new plug-in that does exactly what you need at a particular time.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

DJ Warmonger wrote: Sat Mar 02, 2019 12:07 pmLearning new plugins, new techniques or entire new styles is a SLOW process and takes long before it pays off in actually finished tracks.
This is why I rarely buy new stuff: it costs too much time.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

I have all music stuff I need to make the kind of music I want, and I still buy more. I admit that I'm hopeless because if I didn't spend the money on music stuff I would for sure spend it on something else that I don't really need. Life is short and I try to enjoy it and have fun.
Win 10 -64bit, CPU i7-7700K, 32Gb, Focusrite 2i2, FL-studio 20, Studio One 4, Reason 10

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”