Why will software people not admit hardware sounds better?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

....I often wonder? I mean, it is not like software does not have benefits, such as portability, instant DAW integration and several thousand presets for you to try out on every midi track you lay down, Thus, there are benefits using software but deep down inside you know that sound is not one of them, so why keep pretending? Lots of flamewars could have been avoided if the software people at least would admit that, but they do not.
Why, why, why? Question is killing me, so plz enlighten me.

Thanks in advance :tu: Any opinion will be appreciated as far as it complies with my own. Rest is bull by default.

Discuss
Last edited by IncarnateX on Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

IncarnateX wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:15 pm Question is killing me...
... not fast enough

Hi all. My first post.
Just registered to say that is the best reply ever AnX! Congrats.
Last edited by buzz1 on Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My experience with hardware synths is quite limited (I had a Roland Alpha Juno 2 for a while). So, softsynths sound fine to me, and besides, it's the songwriting and production that is the most important, not whether a hardware synth has a little better timbre than softsynths.

My 2 Pfennigs.
“Darkness cannot drive out darkness; only light can do that. Hate cannot drive out hate; only love can do that."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

AnX wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:18 pm
... not fast enough
:lol:

It is probably because such a broad and generalized statement is nonsense.

Which hardware? Analog hardware? VA hardware? Also, if analog or VA, which specific hardware? I don't think the Arturia Brute synth, for example, sound any better than soft synths. Also, it also has to be kept in mind that, with hardware, you have much more pressure to get something on the market which will be bought, and the people developing the hardware often have much more experience than their software counterparts.

TBH, i don't think there's many VA synth coming out these days which sound so much better than soft synth. Access Music and Waldorf Music hold up the candle for a long time, and i still think their VA synths sound better than 95% of soft synths which come out these days, but, Access Music didn't develop a synth since 15 years (i think?), and Waldorf lost some siginificant figures with Wolfram Franke and Stefan Stenzel, and, i'm not that enthusiastic about their latest digital synths, so, i don't really see many VA hardware synths which challange good soft synths at the moment. Analog synths are another thing.

AnX wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:18 pm
... not fast enough
Just start a discussion and it could be any day, promise :pray:

tedious troll is tedious.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

I am sure some people still bang on about it, but it seems to be more the trend that people admit that in most cases it sounds better, but that the marginal increase in sound quality isn’t worth foregoing the benefits afforded by software. That sentiment seems even more true with the more recent releases of softsynths.

chk071 wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:40 pmWhich hardware?
All of it

IncarnateX wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:15 pm ....I often wonder? I mean, it is not like software does not have benefits, such as portability, instant DAW integration and several thousand presets for you to try out on every midi track you lay down, Thus, there are benefits using software but deep down inside you know that sound is not one of them, so why keep pretending? Lots of flamewars could have been avoided if the software people at least would admit that, but they do not.
Why, why, why? Question is killing me, so plz enlighten me.

Thanks in advance :tu: Any opinion will be appreciated as far as it complies with my own. Rest is bull by default.

Discuss
I can think of one flame war that could have been easily avoided, the one you have put on the horizon :?
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

mjolniiiiiiir!

Popcorn anyone?
The post above this is likely bait, viewer discretion is advised.

Spencer Maddox wrote: Sat Mar 23, 2019 12:50 pm Popcorn anyone?
I really wouldn't bother
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

would anyone like a mighty potato of doom?
or a pakora?

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”