The 80's thread - 4 us who were around at that time

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Everyone who was around in the 80's probably remember teh fast changes in styles. Both in fashion and music (as well as with synthts). Something that find as very significant for that era. And, I think, very unlike how it is today.

For us who where grew up during the 80's it's, or might be, a bit strange hearing people talking about the sounds, music and fashion of that time as something, somewhat, homogeneous.

To me the 80's is a very vibrant and ever changing epoch. 83/84 was something very different to 85/86. Even 1983 was different to 1984.

Personally I don't even view the late 80's as the "80's".

But the colorfulness of that time wasn't limited to one style for each period.

Purple Rain was playing in the radio alongside Billie Jean and Girls Just Wanna Have Fun. All so different in both style and fashion - in the same year.

Remember the early rappers and the electric boogie and the break dance ?

Remember how music changed rapidly with the development of music tech. From the monophonic synths in the early days, to samplers (Nilli Vanilli :-p ), and the introduction of the digital era.

Let's go back and help each other remember the goings of that era.

The music, the sounds, the instruments, the LP / vinyl culture, the movies and the TV series that we where all influenced by.
Last edited by sfd on Mon Jun 10, 2019 8:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

For me.......

I was 12 in 1980. I was learnig to play gtr, experiencing music from radio and.....oh yeah MTV!!!!! . You cant have the 80s without it. The Cars, Gary Newman, J Geils, Def Leppard, Iron Maiden, Boy George, Micheal Jackson, Van Halen, Huey Lewis and the News, The Pretenders.......and on and on. What a great time.

Pre MTV we had our imagination .......countless hours listening to the radio. Imagining the instruments, the stage, the studio, the musicians the places that the music took us. It was a facinating place.

Post MTV......We could see our favorite artists and their/directors vision of the music. We were exposed to an abundance of fashion from all over the world. As the OP stated,....it was changing weekly. you could see it amongst your friends in the malls. Fashon pressure the world had never seen before or since.......What a great time.

I still cheerish the music from that time. My first synth was a Roland Alpha Juno 2. I love those sounds to this day. If I could have only one vst it would be Tal U no lx, because of my love for those sounds......what a great time.
We jumped the fence because it was a fence not be cause the grass was greener.
https://scrubbingmonkeys.bandcamp.com/
https://sites.google.com/view/scrubbing-monkeys

john peel.
nuff said.

regards huey lewis and the news

"Their early work was a little too new wave for my tastes, but when Sports came out in '83, I think they really came into their own, commercially and artistically. The whole album has a clear, crisp sound, and a new sheen of consummate professionalism that really gives the songs a big boost"

vurt wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:06 pm john peel.
nuff said.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHp6oIsNk08

Yeah, you're right. One can't think of the 80's without MTV. I think there was actually another similar channel prior to MTV called The Tube. It was fairly short lived.

Apart from MTV the only other way one could see some artist where when they guested some weekly Saturday evening family show on TV. And so, in my country (Sweden), we didn't had much access to our idols.

You read some magazine like Bravo. If you where lucky your favorite artist / bad where in it.

90's > 80's. :P

i can think of the 80s without mtv.
we had 4 channels.

chk071 wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:28 pm 90's > 80's. :P
mathematically true!

vurt wrote: Sun Jun 09, 2019 2:28 pm i can think of the 80s without mtv.
we had 4 channels.
and 2 of them for some reason where in welsh :shrug:

also, i was a choir boy for the early part of the 80s, so lots of churchy type stuff :scared:

all things bright and beautiful indeed!
but not the parasites n shit, someone else made those...

Some sporadic observations:
- post-Police
- post-Abba
- post Dr Feelgood
- death of progressive rock
- video killed radio star
- Kate Bush
- Sledgehammer-video
- Freddie with moustashes came out of the closet
- synth-pop
- New Wave
- industrial/future/darkwave pop
- ridiculously dressed heavy-rock bands
- Lennon was murdered
- Apple Mac computers /IBM desktop
- Dee-Lite/Groove is in the hearth
- Leasure suit Larry
- rap was (unfortunately) born
- MIDI
- Seinfeld started
- girl rock/pop

to that I'd add:

- Gorby / Reagan and the iron lady.
- The Muppet Show
- Game & Watch
- Double deck cassette players
- Iggy cut his hair

Yuppies
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

mobiles bigger than a house brick.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”