I am creating a music production course. I need your opinion

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I am currently starting to develop a comprehensive electronic music production course. I would love to know from you guys what you'd think is the biggest sticking points for beginners. What should be covered in that course? What is something that's often missing in tutorials or courses?

Thanks a ton!

The overview of the whole production process: "To know what you don't know yet". Just make a list of "everything" a music producer needs to know and you'll see how it is totally unknown to newbies.
Blog ------------- YouTube channel
Tricky-Loops wrote: (...)someone like Armin van Buuren who claims to make a track in half an hour and all his songs sound somewhat boring(...)

DJ Warmonger wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:13 pm The overview of the whole production process: "To know what you don't know yet". Just make a list of "everything" a music producer needs to know and you'll see how it is totally unknown to newbies.
Yeh the overview of the whole production process I find is most valuable.
Like those Masterclasses you find from established artists walking you through there Ableton set for example on screen is super helpful. That type of thing, a bit of music theory and the basics of effects is key for beginners I think.

There’s some good YouTube tutorials

handbookofmagic wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:05 pm I am currently starting to develop a comprehensive electronic music production course. I would love to know from you guys what you'd think is the biggest sticking points for beginners. What should be covered in that course? What is something that's often missing in tutorials or courses?

Thanks a ton!
I am a newbie too. For me, the biggest attraction in an electronic or any sort of music course would be the course outline. For instance, If I want to learn drums, the course should cover everything and anything that comes within the drums including the instruments, postures, variety of sounds, alternatives, in short just start from the very basic so that everybody is on the same page when you head on towards a pro lesson.

I spent a while working out a free course for people on another forum. Non music related.

When it got down to it, it was comparable to one of the courses that they do at Berkeley (Berklee?) Pretty much the whole syllabus.

And I was going to teach the whole thing myself for free!

:help:

Thankfully, no one took me up on the offer. Though I would have done it too if I'd have had a couple of takers.

No one is really interested in music anymore. They get their shit from youtube.

handbookofmagic wrote: Wed Nov 20, 2019 3:05 pm I am currently starting to develop a comprehensive electronic music production course. I would love to know from you guys what you'd think is the biggest sticking points for beginners. What should be covered in that course? What is something that's often missing in tutorials or courses?

Thanks a ton!

I'd be happy to let you have my extensive notes on the subject. I think I got up to about 20,000 words. You could use that as a basis for jumping off if nothing else. I'd be happy to see it go to a good home and someone that might do something with it!

PM me. I've got it on another computer. But it shouldn't be too hard to dig out.

There is stiff competition these days for teaching stuff. But there is still a gap in the market for a no nonsense comprehensive syllabus.

I was including music theory and guitar stuff in there too.

But really it was coming from an 'electronic music production' viewpoint.

With a bit of possible 'what can I do for marketing and make my music known ?' thrown in on top.

Defo needs a glossary.

When I started with music making (electronica, no real instruments) I've been studying magazines and had to check every term like LFO, ENV, etc.

While it was interesting (thx to my curiosity for tech things) it ate a lot of my time. A LOT.

Common sense and practical knowledge. Courses are mostly good at esoteric knowledge but lack practicality. If you want to teach people something, teach them something they can use to get work or to actually produce music. e.g. Rather than teaching synth theory, teach them how to use a few specific VSTi and leave it to them to work out how to transfer that knowledge to other instruments.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:10 am
Common sense and practical knowledge. Courses are mostly good at esoteric knowledge but lack practicality. If you want to teach people something, teach them something they can use to get work or to actually produce music. e.g. Rather than teaching synth theory, teach them how to use a few specific VSTi and leave it to them to work out how to transfer that knowledge to other instruments.
Common sense and practical knowledge

And how does one teach that?

Courses are mostly good at esoteric knowledge but lack practicality.

So you know about most courses do you? "Esoteric"? *

intended for or likely to be understood by only a small number of people with a specialized knowledge or interest

If you want to teach people something, teach them something they can use to get work or to actually produce music. e.g. Rather than teaching synth theory, teach them how to use a few specific VSTi and leave it to them to work out how to transfer that knowledge to other instruments.

Your thinking is so disjointed. I'm not even going to tackle it.

OP, I've got a 20,000 word plus document that outlines a syllabus that I think will at least make a good grounding for what you want to achieve. Hit my up via PM and if I think you are serious, you can have it for free.

A lot of work went in to it. But I also outline future ideas needed in the framework.

Hit me up and this work that took me many weeks will be yours, gratis!

Focus on solving practical musical problems from beginning to end, eg ways to explore a idea from a beat, a groove or a melody; how to harmonize and arrange instruments; how to clean up muddy sounds and mixes, etc.
Don't focus on just one thing like all the tutorials do, but show real examples of how a producer needs to integrate many ideas at the same time.
Show the entire workflow of skills and taste involved in making something awesome from scratch, and then let people download the files to play with.
Hans Zimmers "Masterclass" video on using Zebra is a small example; Dennis DeSantis' "Making Music" book is a nice written approach.
If you love doing it, others will love watching it, as Torley Wong's demos show.
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

codec_spurt wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 3:28 amSo you know about most courses do you? "Esoteric"? *
As someone with formal training in the design of training courses, yes, I do know. In fact, courses I have designed have been approved for tertiary level qualifications in Australia by the Federal Government.
intended for or likely to be understood by only a small number of people with a specialized knowledge or interest
You had to look it up, didn't you? It can also be used to describe knowledge with no practical application.
Your thinking is so disjointed. I'm not even going to tackle it.
Fine, get this poor sod to make the crappy course you couldn't be arsed making and see how it goes. I've only been teaching and training since 1980, what the f**k would I now about it, eh?

Who did you consult before you started writing? The OP is consulting possible students but he should also be asking industry people about what they expect of a recent graduate of a course and to help prioritise learning objectives. Which brings me to what objectives did you identify? What priorities did you assign them to determine the level at which they should be taught? Some things just need a brief overview, other things need to be taught and reinforced during the course (repetition). You don't just sit down and write 20,000 words, you have to do your homework.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I would work in logical steps - start with recording levels, track volume levels and soundstaging.
Then broad-strokes eqing.
Then Compression etc.
Later on, detail eqing, all the rest.

Here's an example of what I mean:
1. The singer/writer/producer breaks down his hit song (1.4M Views):
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IU8BEMi8UyM
2. The music production tutorial (153k Subs) remakes the same song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb43pBE4N5c
See? Fun & practical!
s a v e
y o u r
f l o w

Michael L wrote: Mon Nov 25, 2019 10:34 amThe music production tutorial (153k Subs) remakes the same song:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mb43pBE4N5c
See? Fun & practical!
Yuri's soundtrack recreation walkthroughs, using only Stock Logic sounds, are great! He also sells the projects (Used to be free), which gives a better insight, and you get all the preset/channel strips for the sounds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HR96tQk ... kt&index=8

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”