Do you listen to synthesizers anymore?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic

Do you listen to synthesizer music?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:58 am

I am still interested in hearing someone play a synthesizer.
61%
I mainly listen to samples fed through effects to a beat.
7%
I'm just hear for the drugs and sex.
11%
fish.
20%

Total votes: 54

RELATED
PRODUCTS

alright, I got a question. I wanted to add this to a previous thread but was unable to create a poll on a created thread so here's a new thread. It's a survey. this is a free and open survey... no judgment. I'm not going to trash you for your answer. The question is...

Do you listen to synthesizer music anymore? Or is it just samples fed through effects?

again, I'm not here to judge. I'm trying to decide if I made a synthesizer album, if anyone would be interested still, so answer without shame. I won't be judgmental.

this is a 60 day poll, and you can change your vote.

depends what you mean
theres a huge difference between jarre and carter for example.
one i can get lost in for hours the other minutes annoys the shit out of me.

define "synthesiser music".

I listen to music. I don’t care if it’s played on Mongolian nose flutes or a Stradivarius, as long as it’s good.

yes. of course.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

i'm not trying to influence the poll. i'm trying to get an accurate answer, so forgive me if i don't get into a back and forth here. but, there is a difference between synthesis and a synthesizer.

Well I listened to Kaleidoscope by Siouxsie and the Banshees yesterday (or maybe the day before), and that’s definitely got some synthesizers on it.

https://youtu.be/xigcAOUWL5c

Nice! Haven't listened to it for years but it's about my favourite Banshees album and this is my favourite song from it.

As to the poll, how can you not answer "fish", given the other choices available? There is a whole spectrum of stuff between the first two options and 99% of music being made today probably features both extremes, as well as half-a-dozen parts that would fall somewhere in between. e.g. All our drums are samples with effects, so every song we make has that, but most of our synth parts are made with synths that aren't (overtly) sample-based. Still, we use various Kontakt libraries in half our songs, as well as sample-based guitar VSTi and granular synths like Quanta and Straylight are starting to get some use, too. Then there are things like Monoment Bass, which is a subtractive synth that uses sample-based oscillators, and Equator has both sample-based and V/A type oscillators and we use that in pretty much every new song.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Doesn't everything technically become a sample when you record it into a computer? I like live music including people playing synthesizery, but I have massive respect for great "offline" sounddesign too. Not everything that was created in the box is "just a sample". :)
Evovled into noctucat...
http://www.noctucat.com/

samples and fx for me, gramps
ImageImageImageImage

I like watching fish on drugs that are listening to samples of a synthesizer fed through effects. So I guess the answer is maybe?

I rarely listen to music nowadays.

Focus on what you want to achieve, what feelings you want to convey and what you personally like most, let it inspire you and start making music ;-)!

highkoo wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 4:38 amsamples and fx for me, gramps
Yet too stupid to actually vote in the poll. Doesn't say a lot for the younger generation, does it?
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

I never listened to “synthesizer music”. Most of it feels cold and lifeless to me, also I prefer songs over sounds. I have nothing against synths (some of my best friends are synths!), but more as another color in a song arrangement, not complete tracks made only with synths...

Dasheesh wrote: Thu Dec 12, 2019 12:58 am I'm trying to decide if I made a synthesizer album, if anyone would be interested still...
There seems to be a lot of interest in synthwave/retrowave these days, don't see why you need a poll for that :D
CrimsonWarlock aka TechnoGremlin, using Reaper and a fine selection of freeware plugins.

Ragnarök VST-synthesizer co-creator with Full Bucket

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”