Do you listen to synthesizers anymore?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic

Do you listen to synthesizer music?

Poll ended at Mon Feb 10, 2020 12:58 am

I am still interested in hearing someone play a synthesizer.
61%
I mainly listen to samples fed through effects to a beat.
7%
I'm just hear for the drugs and sex.
11%
fish.
20%

Total votes: 54

RELATED
PRODUCTS

telecode wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 6:08 pm
vurt wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 5:29 pm why does your fandom of nin have any bearing on them being an example of synth music?
"Vorzel....".. don't go there dude. Just let it slide.

Incidentally, Trent Reznor is a highly intelligent artist that still makes amazing music both under the banner of NIN as well as sountracks. You all need to check out the soundtrack to Gone Girl -- especially what they did for the death scene where Rosamund Pike kills the Neil Patrick Harris character. Once of the most innovative uses of modular synth combined with visual ever created IMNSHO!
Also, "How To Destroy Angels". Well worth checking out.

I'll listen to anything if I like it :shrug:

Oh never mind, no point

Hink wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:01 am now
jancivil wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:42 am
BONES wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:24 amNone of this impresses me in the slightest. Until I got Analog Lab a couple of years ago, I had never heard of Buchla, either the man or the company. It/he are little more than a footnote in synth history, which doesn't interest me anyway. I like to look forward, not back.
This ’you’ works as the universal you, anyone saying this kind of nonsense.

...an ahistorical bent. Were we supposed to be impressed? A silliness.
earlier in the thread
jancivil wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:08 pm
telecode wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:34 pm
Forgotten wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:50 pm A little bit of off topic occurs everywhere, and it’s always been that way.
not on other forums like Steinberg or NI. posts are on topic 90% of the time. the odd occasional goof goes on to post stupid useless stuff, but its a pretty well run self policed communites.
Is this post pertinent to the topic?
whether you agree or not my asking to stay on topic and lay off the attacks is pertinent to the topic. There is no need for it
So you’re telecode now

Ok I’m out :lol:

jancivil wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 3:21 pm
Hink wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:01 am now
jancivil wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 12:42 am
BONES wrote: Sun Dec 15, 2019 2:24 amNone of this impresses me in the slightest. Until I got Analog Lab a couple of years ago, I had never heard of Buchla, either the man or the company. It/he are little more than a footnote in synth history, which doesn't interest me anyway. I like to look forward, not back.
This ’you’ works as the universal you, anyone saying this kind of nonsense.

...an ahistorical bent. Were we supposed to be impressed? A silliness.
earlier in the thread
jancivil wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:08 pm
telecode wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 4:34 pm
Forgotten wrote: Fri Dec 13, 2019 3:50 pm A little bit of off topic occurs everywhere, and it’s always been that way.
not on other forums like Steinberg or NI. posts are on topic 90% of the time. the odd occasional goof goes on to post stupid useless stuff, but its a pretty well run self policed communites.
Is this post pertinent to the topic?
whether you agree or not my asking to stay on topic and lay off the attacks is pertinent to the topic. There is no need for it
So you’re telecode now

Ok I’m out :lol:
Oh on... the flamers are back in town. Worzel called One Eyed Cocaine Jane for help..

😨
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

so we are done with this thread...stay on topic and stop the flaming from all sides.../end
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

I never listen to synthesizers ... they all say "buy me".

:lol:
The highest form of knowledge is empathy, for it requires us to suspend our egos and live in another's world. It requires profound, purpose‐larger‐than‐the‐self kind of understanding.

AngelCityOutlaw wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 1:35 am
I went through a phase of it in my early 20s, where I was really into electronic music.

Now, I mostly prefer listening to acoustic instruments; be they real or sampled. There're these human elements to "real instruments" unto themselves which synths will never be able to replicate.

The main thing with synths I find is that the most "interesting" sounds are the least-musical, but the most-musical ones are the least-interesting and cheesy-sounding.
Well said, I agree with you. I did a lot of pure electronic stuff, and put a ton of work into making things sound more organic. But, no matter what the synthesis method, no matter what sound, synths always sound like, well... synths. Nowadays, I find pure synthesizer music grating and claustrophobic to listen to, I need contrast. So yeah, I still use synths in my music, but they're just one colour in a rich and varied palette.
Otoh, I love those 70s solo and string sounds, never get tired of them. Thanks, Tony Banks. :tu:

Hink wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:02 pm so we are done with this thread...stay on topic and stop the flaming from all sides.../end
^^ Agreed!!

But.. no we are not done with topic!! I think the OP asked a totally valid question for KVR community. Does anyone still like to listen to full length releases that are like the old Vangelis or Larry Fast records. Sure there are listeners. If its' done well and has artistic focus. Will you get lots of traction with the chill*.* Spotify playlist crowds? Probably not. They prefer to zonk out and chill to "chill" crap. They probably won't sit there with head phones and focus on the music that much -- but who knows? I could be wrong. You will never know unless you try to pull it off!!

Don't forget the musical environment in which those artists released their ground breaking works. Abba and Boney M ruled the world and very few electronic niche artists like them. ;-)
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

then we stop the pot shots back and forth...I say this all the time, getting that one last shot in is a huge problem because it just reignites everything, everyone else thinks well I get my rebuttal now which is just another shot...that's all I'm asking, stop :shrug:

Generally for a known instrument that exists acoustically I’d look for a sample library entry, but there have been instances where... let me give an example. Old Suitcase, a Reaktor patch showed up in Kore one day, works totally as an E Piano in the track but had this hardness and coldness which was perfect for the role. It kind of half erases the border.

BUT note well, that’s pretty restricted cf., an old Suitcase Rhodes.

Hink wrote: Mon Dec 16, 2019 4:02 pm so we are done with this thread...stay on topic and stop the flaming from all sides.../end
im sorry hink, but the post above yours is a sly dig at ne, again, not sure why, all ive done here is suggest synth music and i did eye roll at him for a previous "stop the flaming" as he was the one adding the off topic attacks.

now accusing me of contacting jan, like he has the cerebral fortitude for me to need back up.

i have no desire to argue with him, it would be time better served arguing with jelly, id get better brain excercise, but if he keeps with the snideness, i will have to bring out the potato of doom.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”