Learning John Bonham drum techniques from a (former!) 8 year old Japanese teacher...

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello,

I'm sure that many of you know about Yoyoka, the very gifted young drummer from Hokkaido, Japan.

Although I have played the drums and percussion for around 30 years (in various bands and concerts etc), I still struggle to get various techniques down as competently or cleanly as they could be.

But here is Yoyoka as an 8 year old (in a YT video shot 2 years ago but released today on her channel) teaching Bonham's bass triplet pattern from Good Times Bad Times!

www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5EUmV9Jz-E

And here is Yoyoka's full version of the song:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=BslksgTF4X4

Happily, there are always some very talented and gifted young musicians coming through, and many of them will go on to great things (although some of them of course will not).

Yoyoka wants to be the best drummer in the world - and I would (imho) say that she stands a very good chance of realizing her ambition in the future.

Here is her interpretation of the infamous Purdie Shuffle (from the song "Rosanna") and also a couple of other impressive highlights:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=6P-tTLmuKo0

www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZJhhY5h9Hc

www.youtube.com/watch?v=Njmd7hWGpr4

Are there any other excitingly gifted young musicians who you think will do well in the future too?

Cheers
:phones:
Last edited by dark water on Tue Oct 27, 2020 7:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

This is fantastic ! I've been looking for complete beginner videos, and whilst I don't think I can quite manage just with these, I love the simplicity of the explanations (and the amazing talent).

man she smashed killing in the name of :band2:

Absolutely fellas - she is a very good drummer indeed :phones:

The interesting thing about many gifted / talented young musicians is that they often perform rehearsed pieces with great technical prowess, but at such a young age they understandably sometimes fail to make the music their own (ie, it can feel like a very competent but robotic display).

Yoyoka is an unusual 10 year old musician, as demonstrated in various YT videos over the past couple of years, where she owns the 'pocket' as a drummer and has a great natural feel. Her cover of "Steam" posted above is a good example.

This is her video from today, the aptly titled Sunday Morning by Maroon 5, which is a laidback groove.
Not technically the most challenging task for a drummer, but from about 3.10 onwards this happy young drummer starts to break out her drum fills:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=72yVG6C6ZrQ

As koalaboy says, it would be interesting to see what other exceptional young musicians are now starting to shine.
Cheers :)

Nice style switch onto Radiohead now, which she says she's been listening to a lot recently.
She and her parents, who are in a band with her, have a very good taste in music:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=K0LEz2AxmYg

In passing, Phil Selway is a very under-rated drummer. Hope Yoyoka covers more of his stuff.

all well and good learning drums from radiohead, just dont use them as maths tutors :o

:lol:

this young drummer is phenomenal. i'm a drummer, and she blows me away. her foot work is incredible.

and i love the joy on her face while she is playing! that's what it's all about.

Absolutely.
And she's determined to get better (and she's serious about becoming the best drummer in the world when she's older).
Which is great :)

Awesome, wholesome, real!

^^ Indeed!

Her version of Drain You by Nirvana is well worth watching (released today on her YT channel).
But particularly the part from around 2.20 onwards, which for a 10 year old drummer (albeit one with several years' of practise) shows outstanding technical control and impressive artistic interpretation.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpQGC_3eRVU

If anything, Yoyoka is a bit too happy for a Nirvana song!
(But one of her drumming heroes is Grohl).

I don't think she has attempted anything by Neil Peart yet, but I hope she does so soon (and also perhaps something by Bill Ward, Buddy Rich, Ginger Baker or Keith Moon just to get a range of styles in).

That Drain You is fab!

Hokkaido is wonderful too.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

^^ definitely!

Here's a couple of recent videos from Yoyoka.
Specifically, check out the 'in pocket' performance, power, ghost notes, fills and sheer joy on the face of this 10 year old throughout.

Rush cover:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGETWi1QufE

Sass Jordan cover:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-1mQOpp-L4

If anything, the Sass Jordan track is probably a bit too easy for this young rock drummer!

as you watch her, first you share in the joy, seeing someone so young, enjoying the classics, enjoying playing and being damn good.
then the being damn good, hangs around in your mind, and the joy turns to misery as you realise, a 10 year old child is already better than you, you have wasted your life :cry:

nah, shes great 8)

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”