Dave Greenfield died

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Quick Google reveals ...
The Stranglers' side-project.

The Purple Helmets is an ad hoc band, playing 1960's R and B numbers. The recording line-up was: Jean-Jacques Burnel, Dave Greenfield, John Ellis, Alex Gifford (a member of the Stranglers horn-section) and Manny Elias (drummer with Tears For Fears). The band was ostensibly put together (from an earlier incarnation) so that JJ and Dave could do some gigging between Stranglers projects.
Anyone who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

Aloysius wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 2:13 am Quick Google reveals ...
The Stranglers' side-project.

The Purple Helmets is an ad hoc band, playing 1960's R and B numbers. The recording line-up was: Jean-Jacques Burnel, Dave Greenfield, John Ellis, Alex Gifford (a member of the Stranglers horn-section) and Manny Elias (drummer with Tears For Fears). The band was ostensibly put together (from an earlier incarnation) so that JJ and Dave could do some gigging between Stranglers projects.
Yep. I think they only ever recorded two albums, but the first one is near impossible to find.

Let's not forget that The Stranglers did the best ever version of Walk On By, too.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

Them and Dionne Warwick

Don't know if Facebook links are sharable? One of the few successful musicians I know posted this.
https://www.facebook.com/bgouldfnm/post ... 1102137786

I could listen to Man they Love to Hate probably every day and my only issue would be the bass being too high at one point.

That era is eminently forgettable, thank Dog it didn't last. La Folie and Feline were The Stranglers at their lowest ebb as far as I'm concerned. After The Raven, La Folie sounds like demos and out-takes from a decade before. (I think of the Meninblack album as more of a side-project, not part of the main canon.) At least Feline sounds like they meant to do it.

Mind you, I'm not big on Aural Sculptures or Dreamtime, either, but at least I can listen to those albums without tasting bile in the back of my throat.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

yeah dawg

RIP DG. Listening now.
I lost my heart in Taumatawhakatangihangakoauauotamateaturipukakapikimaungahoronukupokaiwhenuakitanatahu

:( Greenfield was my favourite of The Stranglers. He had a really interesting singing voice and an elaborate keyboard style similar to Ray Manzarek of The Doors. Genetix and Four Horsemen are two of my favourite Stranglers songs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5Qy4f1dwDA

fff
Last edited by codec_spurt on Fri Apr 08, 2022 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dead Ringer's the best wind up ever. All the kids who'd turned up at the gig because they'd only heard Peaches fell for it hook line and sinker :)

Are you safe?
"For now… a bit like a fish on the floor"
https://tidal.com/artist/33798849

dammit, RIP, another influence. Sadly under-appreciated, but to fans he really brought a lot to like on the keys and to the group.

Never saw them live though, damn. Their stuff still stands up great.

WatchTheGuitar wrote: Tue May 05, 2020 8:22 pm Dead Ringer's the best wind up ever. All the kids who'd turned up at the gig because they'd only heard Peaches fell for it hook line and sinker :)
nothing wrong with peaches,great track 8)

tbf, i was 3 when it was released, so didnt see them before id heard a lot more :hihi:

I saw them live at The Oasis in Swindon back in the eighties and they opened with "Down In The Sewer" That was an unforgettable evening.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”