Why Do You Create Music ?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

original for the love of music/sound/experimenting

these days, money.

empphryio wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 1:44 amPleasing yourself and pleasing others is a balance the same as ethics is a balance of selfishness and selflessness.
Very different things. There are consequences for other people where ethics is concerned but when it comes to music and art, surely it is more important to be true to oneself than to please others with what you do? So the drive to please others is really saying that you want to be accepted, to be seen as being just like everyone else, which to my mind is the complete opposite of striving to be unique.
Moe Shinola wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:27 am You know, it's funny you ask this. I'm so busy anymore, hardly ever make music. I have a whole stack of new hardware I bought this year, but always too tired to screw with it. I wondered awhile ago if maybe it was nothing more than hearing a great new sound, but mistaking liking the sound with wanting to make that sound. I mean, maybe I just like listening more than making, and maybe I only try to make music because I feel I should, rather than from enjoyment. That's why I bought hardware, wanting to recapture the fun I used to have following creative breadcrumbs on my guitar, but being frustrated on a DAW, which is really more for recording music that's already "there".
Hey Moe, it's been ages - good to see you're not dead! I definitely like listening more than creating but, whilst one informs the other, they satisfy two very different urges. I found that when I got into a creative vocation, as a graphic artist, that my desire to create music dropped significantly. But after 20-odd years as a graphic artist, I no longer get any satisfaction from being creative in my work, so my interest in making music has surged in recent years. But there has never been a time when I didn't want to listen to music or to seek out new music to enjoy.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:18 am 20-odd years as a graphic artist
What kind of graphics? Commercials? Vector art?

Hey Moe, it's been ages - good to see you're not dead!
Ha! Also happy to not be dead. My sister lives in Australia now. Dude, I got more use out of your Nitreous PM plugin, stumbled over the coolest sounds. It's probably my favorite ever, with Phobia Station just behind.
"The Law speaks too softly to be heard amid the din of arms." -- Gaius Marius {Roman consul,soldier}

Why do I create music?

Because it's fun.
My solo projects:
Hekkräiser (experimental) | MFG38 (electronic/soundtrack) | The Santtu Pesonen Project (metal/prog)

The voices in my head tell me to.

SneakyBeats wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:25 amWhat kind of graphics? Commercials? Vector art?
Motion graphics. I work for a TV network, in their promos dept. We produce all the ads for the shows on our channels. I mostly work in After Effects, although I can do 3D as well - 3DS Max, Cinema 4D and Blender - and we use Photoshop and Illustrator a bit, too.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote: Mon Aug 17, 2020 7:11 am
SneakyBeats wrote: Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:25 amWhat kind of graphics? Commercials? Vector art?
Motion graphics. I work for a TV network, in their promos dept. We produce all the ads for the shows on our channels. I mostly work in After Effects, although I can do 3D as well - 3DS Max, Cinema 4D and Blender - and we use Photoshop and Illustrator a bit, too.
Cool and interesting :tu: I thought you only make music :lol:

seemed less liksly to kill someone if it goes wrong than say, neurosurgery :?

vurt wrote: Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:38 pm seemed less liksly to kill someone if it goes wrong than say, neurosurgery :?
Yeah, we've all been there.

keeps us off the streets :)

(unless youre a busker obviously)

It gives me something to do...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGGk7x6PK0Y

I find it fun and relaxing.

I stopped for about 15 years though when I spent over a decade trying to break into the industry and changed most of my songs to fit commercial writing styles of the time.I got quite close but never made it.

I have reverted my tracks back to how they were originally intended and have found the magic again.

I have this urge sometimes
Don't feed the gators,y'all
https://m.soundcloud.com/tonedeadj

Someone has to do it ... ;)

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”