When electronic music sounded new, like the future... what went wrong!

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Dirtgrain wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:15 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:50 pm
Dirtgrain wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:44 pm
dellboy wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:39 pm As far as this type of music goes Deliah Derbyshire was doing it much worse in the 1960s using just tape recorders.....
FIFY
:x
"Freeze Frame" and "Electric Energy" are cool. "Depression" reminds of sounds used in scenes of The Twilight Zone. The others are not my thing. None of it sounds as cool as "Kalpol Introl" to me.
id argue, that without her (and the radiophonic workshop in its entirety) and stockhausen and lots of that early experimental electronic music, and the acid house and techno scenes, we wouldn't have autechre and other similar acts.
like me, they grew up in the uk, at around the same time, so were forced weird bloopy electronic stuff, as it was relegated mostly to kids tv.
then late teens, was when dance music started up over here too.
that progression, is kind of the obvious when viewed historically.
same with boards of canada, and yes, for some reason, we did also get a lot of film board of canada films and shows here too.

dellboy wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:39 pm As far as this type of music goes Deliah Derbyshire was doing it much worse in the 1960s using just tape recorders.....
FIFY
Congratulations, by messing with my post you have just lost all credibility.

I find that there is always some good new electronic music.
maybe not as much as "back in the day" but there are so many musicians using synths these days its hard not to find something tasty.

The thing about Delia, is how she went about her craft using mostly tape recorders. I am not sure if she was the first to use sampling and looping,but she was very clever how she synced the machines together.

Which makes me wonder if its time for true experimental music exponents to dump the synths and presets and get back to just plain old fashioned sampling. There is a never ending mixture of sound just outside everyone's doorstep that is just waiting to be discovered. All that's needed is a field recorder - sampler - something to hit things with and a basic DAW. Sans synths.

dellboy wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:26 pm
FIFY
Congratulations, by messing with my post you have just lost all credibility.
You assuming that I had any credibility to begin with means you have lost all credibility, Ahah!
Doing nothing is only fun when you have something you are supposed to do.

Burial is one of my favourite 'electronic' music artists in recent years, he just cut and pastes 'stuff' in to SoundForge (rain, drums, talking, sound fx) and doesn't quantise, very loose...pretty close to just using tape.
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

dellboy wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:34 pm The thing about Delia, is how she went about her craft using mostly tape recorders. I am not sure if she was the first to use sampling and looping,but she was very clever how she synced the machines together.

Which makes me wonder if its time for true experimental music exponents to dump the synths and presets and get back to just plain old fashioned sampling. There is a never ending mixture of sound just outside everyone's doorstep that is just waiting to be discovered. All that's needed is a field recorder - sampler - something to hit things with and a basic DAW. Sans synths.
I think pierre shaeffer is said to be the first using samples and loops, although was vinyl i believe (shellac)?

there are artists doing that, or test oscillators like the barrons did for forbidden planet.
and many of us using combinations of any and all :)

dellboy wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 3:34 pm Which makes me wonder if its time for true experimental music exponents to dump the synths and presets and get back to just plain old fashioned sampling. There is a never ending mixture of sound just outside everyone's doorstep that is just waiting to be discovered. All that's needed is a field recorder - sampler - something to hit things with and a basic DAW. Sans synths.
SLiC wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:01 pm Burial is one of my favourite 'electronic' music artists in recent years, he just cut and pastes 'stuff' in to SoundForge (rain, drums, talking, sound fx) and doesn't quantise, very loose...pretty close to just using tape.
There's a lot more "found sound" in music than we realize. I remember reading about Timbaland making a beat out of tapping a pencil on a plastic cup.

foosnark commented some pages back about all the different type of synthesis, and with all the hybrid synths, there are infinite possibilities.

I wouldn't rule anything out. Whatever inspires you is what you should go with.

There are infinite possibilities...but most new VST's still seem to be subtractive virtual analogue ;-)
X32 Desk, i9 PC, S49MK2, Studio One, BWS, Live 12. PUSH 3 SA, Osmose, Summit, Pro 3, Prophet8, Syntakt, Digitone, Drumlogue, OP1-F, Eurorack, TD27 Drums, Nord Drum3P, Guitars, Basses, Amps and of course lots of pedals!

SLiC wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:53 pm There are infinite possibilities...but most new VST's still seem to be subtractive virtual analogue ;-)
Not trying to be argumentative, but why does that matter? There are plenty of alternatives.

telecharge wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:02 pm
SLiC wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:53 pm There are infinite possibilities...but most new VST's still seem to be subtractive virtual analogue ;-)
Not trying to be argumentative, but why does that matter? There are plenty of alternatives.
It doesn't matter, you can use anything to make great music, but my OP was why do developers go for perfect copies of old VA synths rather than develop something original. My synth collection far exceeds my talent and its more than I will ever need, but I like the 'technology' and was wondering if we really have done everything that can be done with sound and synthesis (and hence the need to just go back and improve what we have already).

telecharge wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 4:48 pm There's a lot more "found sound" in music than we realize. I remember reading about Timbaland making a beat out of tapping a pencil on a plastic cup.
I saw a video where Timbaland explained that a lot of his process is about beatboxing, singing, and using percussion at hand to get ideas flowing, then filling in with the right sounds later. I could see that maybe he left a couple of those things in like pencil drumming.
Even if the piano player can't play, keep the party going.
http://www.soundclick.com/mumpcake
https://mumpfucious.wordpress.com/

SLiC wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:13 pm
telecharge wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 5:02 pm
It doesn't matter, you can use anything to make great music, but my OP was why do developers go for perfect copies of old VA synths rather than develop something original. My synth collection far exceeds my talent and its more than I will ever need, but I like the 'technology' and was wondering if we really have done everything that can be done with sound and synthesis (and hence the need to just go back and improve what we have already).
i think that's down to both nostalgia and two other things, a good instrument is good whenever it's from and as computers get more powerful, devs feel more confident, making "analogue" instruments in software.

earlier iterations of some left a lot to be desired, and even the ones that were good emulations, were of the synths with a more basic architecture.

now, computers are powerful enough, with vcv for example, i think i can pretty much build a faithful representation of the majority of my eurorack.

so we have to expect with more powerful computers, we will see not only more faithful reproductions of the model d but we can get a decent version of the oberheim polys.

that said, in recent years, the biggest news items have included, massivex, vital, hive2, warlock, dune3 as well as the analogues, so we are also getting new digital synths as the power increases :)

BONES wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 10:33 am Hahahahahahahhahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! I could name hundreds of bands you've never heard of, who make music you've never dreamed of, you sad, little man. I'm thinking you probably didn't even bother to listen to any of the Sixth Comm album, did you? OTOH, I was listening to Incunabula (for the first time in many years) while I responded to your post. If you think Autechre are anything but boring, run of the mill nobodies, it is you who are living in a tiny box.
wow. i thought people like you only existed in memes but here you are.. real and on the internet.

i was going to do one of those sponge bob mocking text things but it's not worth my time. vaya con dios

edit: i'll just add that we don't need to do this. neither of us cares what the other thinks about anything. it's just boring sh!tposting on the internet and we both could be doing more productive things w/our time. I suggest that's what we should occupy ourselves with.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”