Poll : Would KVR benefit from a video forum?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic

Would KVR benefit from a video forum?

Yes.
55%
No.
25%
I dont give a flying fish!
20%

Total votes: 116

RELATED
PRODUCTS

TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:34 pm If this includes learning how to e.g. make (fancy) YouTube vids to your tunes, I am all in. Sooner or later I am going to need some generous posters to teach me that too, just like some have taught me about mixing and mastering in the music cafe already. Would be nice with a likewise dedicated forum. Thumps up :tu:
have you tried resolve?

Haven't tried anything yet because I haven't got a living clue, so suggestions are received gratefully :hail:
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:40 pm Haven't tried anything yet because I haven't got a living clue, so suggestions are received gratefully :hail:
tbh, im on the first steps of the same journey, just getting my boots on.

i suppose it will depend on a couple of things before suggestions can be made?
os of course :tu:
but perhaps more important (i dunno?) what are you looking to achieve?
just a vague idea i guess "real video edit/animated 2d/3d/slides..."

resolve though, does look like it will do most things needed for me :)
with a few additional screen capture bits and a camera!

projector could be fun as i have blank white walls...
and several ldr type things for sonic manipulation too!!

For a start, I would just like to make vids to our tunes easy collage style with found clips and pictures fading in and out of each other. Very basic.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or oblique motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

vurt wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:35 pm
TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:34 pm If this includes learning how to e.g. make (fancy) YouTube vids to your tunes, I am all in. Sooner or later I am going to need some generous posters to teach me that too, just like some have taught me about mixing and mastering in the music cafe already. Would be nice with a likewise dedicated forum. Thumps up :tu:
have you tried resolve?
I've meant to bring this up earlier, but... given that Resolve is (rightfully, IMHO) becoming hugely popular in the "consumer" market, as a go-to alternative to long established (primarily) Adobe and Sony pro/semi-pro/consumer products, for video/film production, I would be far more inclined to believe that "have you tried Blender" will be the de-facto underling, in the ignored/overlooked/under-appreciated fanboy arena. Particularly since it is immeasurably well established there (regarding modeling, animation, and rendering, et al), just as 'Inkscape' is for vector graphics. .. that said.

[trivia] ... The main feature of Resolve (when it was just called 'DeVinci') that made it an 'industry' household name, was its uncompromising color grading, which was highly sought after, and demanded a premium price tag. It (like the pro-tools of old) was hardware dependent, and ran $4-800,000.00 per station. At its peak, there were maybe 100 such installations worldwide. It became 'Resolve' through the acquisition of other companies tech (IP), and the expansive editing/compositing/rendering capabilities there-of being incorporated into it. [/end trivia]
vurt wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:49 pm
TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 2:40 pm Haven't tried anything yet because I haven't got a living clue, so suggestions are received gratefully :hail:
tbh, im on the first steps of the same journey, just getting my boots on.

i suppose it will depend on a couple of things before suggestions can be made?
os of course :tu:
but perhaps more important (i dunno?) what are you looking to achieve?
just a vague idea i guess "real video edit/animated 2d/3d/slides..."

resolve though, does look like it will do most things needed for me :)
with a few additional screen capture bits and a camera!
Yes, Resolve will do all of that and then some.

If you can get OBS sorted, it will do the screen recording/capture and camera bits, which you then obviously import into Resolve. Further, given your use-case requirements, your phone, or a cheap-ass webcam will most likely prove sufficient, but certainly nothing more expensive (unless you are so inclined) than a Go-Pro or one of those Zoom (brand) recorders. [2c]
TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:04 pm For a start, I would just like to make vids to our tunes easy collage style with found clips and pictures fading in and out of each other. Very basic.
By "vids of our tunes", do you mean recording your 'performance', and/or a screen capture of trippy visuals, or your DAW (tracks) playing it, as part of the "easy collage style with found clips and pictures fading in and out of each other" to accompany your tunes? (see above)

Establishing what you intend to do is paramount obviously, then finding tutorials that familiarize you with the terminology, and give you a methodology of accomplishing that with relative ease, within the applications available. Particularly file/format preparation and organization, workspace layout (customizable), templates, assets (type, location and accessibility), and short-cut keys. Emphasis on 'short-cut-keys'. :wink:
Last edited by Shabdahbriah on Mon Jul 19, 2021 1:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

yeah, my phone will be the camera, or my endoscope :hihi:
i kinda know what i need/am doing now, i just have to get my arse in gear and give it a go.
then when i get stuck...

oh shit, where do i go then?
if only there was somewhere i could ask...

vurt wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:11 pm yeah, my phone will be the camera, or my endoscope :hihi:
Yeah, USB endoscopes/microscopes are useful and fun. Even a cheap-ass one with crap imaging can add a lo-fi distorted SFX element to your vids. :D I'm determined to just use an older iPhone 5s, newer iPhone SE, and an old iPad mini. The latter is a very convenient magnifying glass 'zoom' (which I need) and potential splash-guard for an intended 'eurorack kit soldering for dummies', series.
vurt wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:11 pm i kinda know what i need/am doing now, i just have to get my arse in gear and give it a go.
then when i get stuck...

oh shit, where do i go then?
if only there was somewhere i could ask...
Indeed... if only.
Last edited by Shabdahbriah on Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I'm not a musician, but I've designed sounds that others use to make music. http://soundcloud.com/obsidiananvil

jj
Last edited by codec_spurt on Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

kj
Last edited by codec_spurt on Wed Oct 13, 2021 12:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

Shabdahbriah wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:06 pm
TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:04 pm For a start, I would just like to make vids to our tunes easy collage style with found clips and pictures fading in and out of each other. Very basic.
By "vids of our tunes", do you mean recording your 'performance', and/or a screen capture of trippy visuals, or your DAW (tracks) playing it, as part of the "easy collage style with found clips and pictures fading in and out of each other" to accompany your tunes? (see above)
Well, having pictures of us playing would be fake, since we do not perform our music live (yet), but I would welcome the know how. Basically, my ambitions are low with hopes of improvement by learning. Starting out with something as simple as this would do it. Maybe with slower and better overlaps, tho:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l276nGY23n0

Shabdahbriah wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:23 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:11 pm yeah, my phone will be the camera, or my endoscope :hihi:
Yeah, USB endoscopes/microscopes are useful and fun. Even a cheap-ass one with crap imaging can add a lo-fi distorted SFX element to your vids. :D
:oops: i was very high one night, there was a pootube ad, it said 13 quid, showed it attached to a phone or laptop!! awesome! im in...
figured it would be a bit shit, and if anything like "wish" id still be here, waiting, 12 months after ordering :lol:
but no, it arrived in a few days, and is pretty bloody good!
cant use it with my phone atm, as i have a "shite2021" which doesnt have otg(on the go) for powering usb devices :cry:
so have been pretty limited to what i can film, two feet from the pc :hihi:
got some cool shots inside a weed container and the grinder though :tu:
very eldritch, looking at weed that close :o

I'm determined to just use an older iPhone 5s, newer iPhone SE, and an old iPad mini. The latter is a very convenient magnifying glass 'zoom' (which I need) and potential splash-guard for an intended 'eurorack kit soldering for dummies', series.

ooh interesting, i might blow myself up one day :D
i have no illusions of "teaching/showing/demoing"
its definitely more "just having some creative fun" much the same way i treat the music side :D

all that has to happen in Resolve for a basic crossfade is grab handles on the clips you want to crossfade: dragging the left handle to the right means its opaqueness goes from 0 to potentially fully opaque; the inverse is of course going from 100% opaque down to _. And it's the easy way to fade out. So you may fade out of one clip as you fade in the other; only they have to be on separate tracks. In FCPX this is called 'lift from timeline', or you don't 'overwrite to timeline' when dragging the second etc clips.

TribeOfHǫfuð wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 7:02 pm
Shabdahbriah wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 9:06 pm
Well, having pictures of us playing would be fake, since we do not perform our music live (yet), but I would welcome the know how. Basically, my ambitions are low with hopes of improvement by learning. Starting out with something as simple as this would do it. Maybe with slower and better overlaps, tho:
Yes, "slower and better overlaps" would be nice. :wink:

This is basically a 'slide-show' with music, and is super easy to do. Starting simple and evolving your technique as you learn, is a wise approach, rather than getting overwhelmed with trying to figure out how to do a ton of cool things which are often buried within obscurely named menus/actions, or ridiculously complex.

I chose this video example, because it specifically addressed something I had a problem with when trying to import a lot of phone images, and it gives you a sense of what can be done rather quickly, with step by step, "click here, then here, then do this" examples. Use what applies to your use-case. For example. The tip on setting a uniform 'length of time' for the images (though there are other ways to do this, individually or collectively) would make it easy for you to set/coordinate a fixed number of images to the length of your audio track. Then apply a fade in/fade-out/cross-fade (or other type) transition(s).

Simple. :party:

https://youtu.be/IGZwSQ-fNpo

here's an example of how much info is available:
Transitions in Davinci Resolve 17.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

offtopic, because 3d, for the reaper, i mean blender, wonks only:

well, the one industry-standard thing that blender didnt have, it just got...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ma1zr_4JWww

i certainly wasnt expecting that.
my other modular synth is a bugbrand

whyterabbyt wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 6:50 pm offtopic, because 3d, for the reaper, i mean blender, wonks only:

well, the one industry-standard thing that blender didnt have, it just got...

i certainly wasnt expecting that.
Wow, no shit. Nice walk-through as well. 8)

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”