Poll : Would KVR benefit from a video forum?

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic

Would KVR benefit from a video forum?

Yes.
55%
No.
25%
I dont give a flying fish!
20%

Total votes: 116

RELATED
PRODUCTS

Shabdahbriah wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 12:55 am I'm intimately familiar with the regulatory requirements (and short-comings) of industrial and medical grade PPE, and what has been pushed-through by the FDA under "emergency-use" conditions and guidelines, as a result of shortages.

The point was to help/encourage you to assess the potential health hazards of glycol vapour, which are well known and documented.

... carry-on.
But it was the N95 that was in short supply, you could always buy the dystopian end of the world headgear style respirators, no shortage there.

But thanks to you guys for pointing out a potential hazard — I thought there were clubs pumping out fog almost continuously for decades?

I’m looking into projectors right now, and I find several sources explaining how to stack multiple projectors for brightness and how to combine multiple projectors for an ultra wide view, but so far the only thing I can find about combining projectors to increase resolution is this statement in one of the articles that shows how to do ultra wide:
Edge blending is a technique used to describe the process of visually combining several projected images to make a single seamless image.
Typically, this is done to increase the size of a projected image to make a very wide image, or by combining a number of lower resolution devices together to increase the total resolution of a display.
https://www.immersaview.com/resources/edge-blending/

But I can’t find anywhere describing how to do it. Anyone know anything about this stuff?

I suppose the answer is sort of right there; 4X 1080p projectors arranged so there are 2 projecting side by side on top and 2 on bottom all zoomed down to fit in a 16:9 screen and then overlap them and edge align along the overlap resulting in… I don’t know, >3K resolution? Need more details.

edit: I still haven’t found much information on this, but I think to blend 4 monitors for higher resolution they would be turned on their side, like portrait, and lined up side by side and then overlapped and the edge blending would all be done vertically just like for ultra wide view. Maybe horizontal edge blending is possible too (no examples online so far though), but I don’t think you would even want horizontally blend and vertically blend at the same time even if you could. :shrug:
Last edited by guitarzan on Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

guitarzan wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:24 am I’m looking into projectors right now, and I find several sources explaining how to stack multiple projectors for brightness and how to combine multiple projectors for an ultra wide view, but so far the only thing I can find about combining projectors to increase resolution is this statement in one of the articles that shows how to do ultra wide:
Edge blending is a technique used to describe the process of visually combining several projected images to make a single seamless image.
Typically, this is done to increase the size of a projected image to make a very wide image, or by combining a number of lower resolution devices together to increase the total resolution of a display.

But I can’t find anywhere describing how to do it. Anyone know anything about this stuff?

I suppose the answer is sort of right there; 4X 1080p projectors arranged so there are 2 projecting side by side on top and 2 on bottom all zoomed down to fit in a 16:9 screen and then overlap them and edge align along the overlap resulting in… I don’t know, >3K resolution? Need more details.
It seems pretty straight forward to me, you gotta get your footage, make a copy for each projector,
crop them accordingly adding a luminance ramp on the overlapping edges. Unless your projectors
have some sort of crop, alignment and precision gamma correction options built in, you'll have to do all that ahead of time in resolve or whatever. Very likely it will take some trial and error to account
for variations in the projectors as well. :shrug:

Shabdahbriah wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 1:53 am
vurt wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 4:59 pm
whyterabbyt wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 9:22 am
Shabdahbriah wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 3:20 am iow: look what I managed to come up with spending every waking hour for several days (to a week or more), that someone who knows what they are doing could have done in 5-10 minutes average, with stuff they use everyday. :D
Yup, pretty much fits here.
i doubt mine will be that good! :lol:
lots of overusing time stretching and crappy looking green screen :lol:
Sooo, basically your going for that herb-enhanced masterfully under produced 'out-takes' vibe. Cool. :party:
i may even add intentional mistakes, eg despite not using mics, not like im recording dialogue or live stuff, having mics on booms at the top of shots, or knocking a stormtrooper helmet off :shrug:

although, im currently finding it hard enough to film some wind up toys on a mini green screen stage.
winding up and releasing toys, while holding a camera (phone) steady in one hand, while high, is not as easy as i imagined!

vurt wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:45 pm

i may even add intentional mistakes, eg despite not using mics, not like im recording dialogue or live stuff, having mics on booms at the top of shots, or knocking a stormtrooper helmet off :shrug:

although, im currently finding it hard enough to film some wind up toys on a mini green screen stage.
winding up and releasing toys, while holding a camera (phone) steady in one hand, while high, is not as easy as i imagined!
Stop motion is probably going to be the most effective way to go there, you only need 12 frames per sec really.

pekbro wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:51 pm
vurt wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 1:45 pm

Stop motion is probably going to be the most effective way to go there, you only need 12 frames per sec really.
will be doing some stop motion for various bits anyway, want to get a camera mount for that though, make it slightly easier than reframing for every shot.

Screenshot_2021-08-07-14-57-31-719.jpg
Screenshot_2021-08-07-14-57-35-107.jpg
Screenshot_2021-08-07-14-57-38-496.jpg
some disco alien stills :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Alright! yeah a tripod of some sort will make things easier. Stop motion is pretty much the way its done with models. A lot of it is about scale, so the hotwheels car you rolled across the table doesn't look like it's going 400 mph. :lol:

yeah i had a lot of trouble with my jumping eyeball. moves far to fast to be anything but a blur :lol:
Screenshot_2021-08-07-15-08-18-475.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

pekbro wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 9:18 am
guitarzan wrote: Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:24 am I’m looking into projectors right now, and I find several sources explaining how to stack multiple projectors for brightness and how to combine multiple projectors for an ultra wide view, but so far the only thing I can find about combining projectors to increase resolution is this statement in one of the articles that shows how to do ultra wide:

It seems pretty straight forward to me, you gotta get your footage, make a copy for each projector,
crop them accordingly adding a luminance ramp on the overlapping edges. Unless your projectors
have some sort of crop, alignment and precision gamma correction options built in, you'll have to do all that ahead of time in resolve or whatever. Very likely it will take some trial and error to account
for variations in the projectors as well. :shrug:
I think edge blending and maybe everything involved is taken care of by projection mapping software, but I’m not sure because the subject of projection mapping seems to go pretty deep and most of the stuff online is about the more spectacular abilities, like projecting onto buildings and stuff.

If anyone can confirm that projection mapping handles the edge blending and is the right way to handle setting up multiple projectors either for added resolution or ultra wide view then that is really all I need to know right now.

EDIT: the guy in this video says that edge blending is usually included in projection mapping software and demos the technique using QLab

https://youtu.be/CTMMNYsWiQc

That seems to answer my question and it looks pretty easy, but if someone knows different please let me know.

update: Software based warp and blend actually doesn’t seem very common, so far Resolume Arena is the only Windows software I can find that accomplishes warp and blend in a similar way to QLab. Most commercial warp and blend solutions seem intended for corporate use and involve hardware to automate the alignment and cost thousands.
Last edited by guitarzan on Mon Aug 09, 2021 4:53 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Well there you go, tho you still have to do it ahead of time in either resolve or fancy dedicated software.
I don't see much difference, just more stuff you gotta buy. :shrug:

Well this way you set it up once then use it like a normal monitor from then on, rather than carefully carving up and tweaking every piece of video you ever want to display manually, which would absolutely be a no-go for me. The software lets you set up the multiple projectors as a seamless projector based video wall.
Last edited by guitarzan on Sat Aug 07, 2021 8:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

I expect there would still be a lot of tweaking... :lol:

Yeah, once.

I just meant that mapping stuff was artistic in itself, you can draw shapes and animations and all sorts of stuff. Just one setup would be a waste probably. Anyway, don't go broke, poison yourself, piss off
the neighbors etc. :tu:

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”