Lets see some studio pics

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

This thread is pure torture. As if software GAS wasn't bad enough. :cry:

Just kidding. But, some nice machines in here.

rob_lee wrote:I'm wanting to pair it up with Digitone and Analog Heat mainly but I haven't got those other two yet Dave. Also waiting for Tanzbar 2 coming out. The Analog Rytm is a top notch machine IMO
I looooove my Analog Heat. :love: The distortion/drive and filter get all of the attention but if you route the envelope follower to one or more of the 4 gain stages (drive, dirt, wet level or preset level), it becomes a great dynamics processor too. I love running FM sounds and sampled drums through the AH.

justin3am wrote:
rob_lee wrote:I'm wanting to pair it up with Digitone and Analog Heat mainly but I haven't got those other two yet Dave. Also waiting for Tanzbar 2 coming out. The Analog Rytm is a top notch machine IMO
I looooove my Analog Heat. :love: The distortion/drive and filter get all of the attention but if you route the envelope follower to one or more of the 4 gain stages (drive, dirt, wet level or preset level), it becomes a great dynamics processor too. I love running FM sounds and sampled drums through the AH.
I'll get the AH after Digitone Justin, got the Digitakt delivered this morning and never been off it :lol:
Picked up how it works after an hour or so I love this thing. Nice rugged and compact.. will be able to sequence a few of my other modules.

New gear :love:

Rob

Where are you gonna put all this new gear Rob. You must be near full by now :hihi:

thecontrolcentre wrote:Where are you gonna put all this new gear Rob. You must be near full by now :hihi:
It's all in the garage for my retirement haha.. just get stuff out every now and then if I fancy a bit of a jam. Gonna sell some older gear so I end up with a minimal setup over the next year Dave.
Highly recommend this little box tho it's addictive.

I've got the loan of a Korg Arp Odyssey for this week ... with the SQ-1 step sequencer. :)
tcc_arp_sub_abyss_web.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by thecontrolcentre on Sun Jul 01, 2018 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

thecontrolcentre wrote:I've got the loan of a Korg Arp Odyssey for this week ... it came with the SQ-1 step sequencer. :)
Looking good Dave :tu:

rob_lee wrote:
thecontrolcentre wrote:I've got the loan of a Korg Arp Odyssey for this week ... it came with the SQ-1 step sequencer. :)
Looking good Dave :tu:
Cheers Rob. A mate got it for xmas, and its got him completely baffled. He's asked me to show him how to use it.

chk071 wrote:This thread is pure torture. As if software GAS wasn't bad enough. :cry:

Every time I see a studio with proper sound treatment and the appearance of central air... my envy juices start to flow... I live in poverty, in a row house, with window AC noise and summer hell heat (and winter noise, too). I have no room treatment. Can't afford to buy it, and can't afford to build it (can't do the construction anyway).

The above gets to me more than seeing the occasional beautiful synth hardware.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:
chk071 wrote:This thread is pure torture. As if software GAS wasn't bad enough. :cry:

Every time I see a studio with proper sound treatment and the appearance of central air... my envy juices start to flow... I live in poverty, in a row house, with window AC noise and summer hell heat (and winter noise, too). I have no room treatment. Can't afford to buy it, and can't afford to build it (can't do the construction anyway).

The above gets to me more than seeing the occasional beautiful synth hardware.
I don't want to be a jerk, but I was going to post this anyway. If you feel envy, visit this thread to see the dark side of my situation.

I do indeed have central air. My basement is 68 degrees Fahrenheit, and it is 86 degrees Fahrenheit outside right now. Yes, it's awesome, even if we can't afford it.

Anyway, this is my studio:

These are some of the skyline diffusors I have made recently. In some cases out of scrap wood. Treat them with Watco Danish oil and they will last forever.

Here is a view of my listening chair, with my guitars included as well.

My book shelves have cloth covered rigid fiberglass behind the books, to eliminate resonance and aid in the natural diffusing properties of books, which are actually quite good diffusors, being individual units of varying densities and shapes. They work especially well on mid and high frequencies.

Here is my interface, a Tascam US-1800, and my contemptible Behringer Monitors (which I love, unapologetically).

And of course, these are my drums, beautifully made and tough as nails. They sound totally awesome when recorded. They are the easiest part of my production process. Just play them right, and they sound awesome.

The lion's share of my sound treatments are Steelcase office panels which are visible in all of these images. Bought for a nominal fee from friends in the office furniture business, they are first class broadband acoustic absorbers, being made of rigid fiberglass encased in modular steel frames. In corners and on first reflection points, they are reinforced with additional fiberglass, either rigid (Owens Corning 703) or standard (standard Owens Corning R11), depending on the placement.

And yes, I feel a deep, irrational love for my recording space. And you will pry it from my (and my wife's) cold dead hands.

I like the diffusers. Very cool looking. 8)

thecontrolcentre wrote:I like the diffusers. Very cool looking. 8)
Thanks. In the next few weeks I intend to fill all the space between the ceiling and the panel tops with them.

And they're cheap, too. Just glue and cedar 2×2s mounted on some fiberboard I had sitting around. The whole set costs less than 40 dollars. The biggest investment is time: I am using manual tools, and it takes hours to cut and sand it all.

Cool stuff, Herodotus. Not jerky at all. Thanks for sharing the photos. I'm Definitely envious of it, of course. :-)

I considered office cubicle walls once. Thing is, I can't afford anything at all, so it's not really an issue of repurposing materials. Unless things are just donated to me, it's outside my financial reach.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote:Cool stuff, Herodotus. Not jerky at all. Thanks for sharing the photos. I'm Definitely envious of it, of course. :-)
Glad I didn't piss anyone off. :hihi:

If it's any consolation, I am pretty old, and had to wait a long long time to get any of this stuff going. I lived in apartments till I was almost 50, and for a drummer that is a major problem.
I considered office cubicle walls once. Thing is, I can't afford anything at all, so it's not really an issue of repurposing materials. Unless things are just donated to me, it's outside my financial reach.
Major companies actually throw the things away rather than recondition them. It is a quite appalling waste. If you have any major office complexes or corporate headquarters near you, you might want to ask them about it. The guys who actually install and break them down might appreciate not having to dispose of them. They are heavy and awkward to move.

Make sure they are Steelcase, though. Many office panels are acoustically useless.

thecontrolcentre wrote:I like the diffusers. Very cool looking. 8)

i might build some out of lego.

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”