Lets see some studio pics

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Keytar is in the past. I had Roland Axis-1 in 1986 and used it from then on in my solo stuff (Deathly Quiet!). I decided to retire it after 10 years, when we started doing NOVAkILL. I even got a panel beater to re-spray it black in 1990 or so, it looked amazing.

As for our sound, it mostly comes out of the laptop. I just mute/delete a channel and play that part over the top. When we went to Germany last year all I took was the Rocket, Monologue and a KeyStep. Even then, the Monologue was more for show than anything. About half of what I played was on the PC, I only used the Monologue and Rocket on a couple of songs each. I went through the same whittling process and decided there was no reason at all to take the Ultranova or Minilogue, which meant my entire set up, laptop and all, easily fitted into a carry-on size Pelican camera case (or a cheap Chinese knock-off of one, anyway).
do you go "its a bass, its close enough" and not worry about exact replicas of sounds?
I've always done that. In the old days, every new purchase had to replace at least two existing things (personal rule / financial constraint), which meant reprogramming all my songs from scratch every couple of years. I just couldn't afford to be sentimental about anything, as long as a new sound did the job, that's all that mattered. Of course, more often than not the new sound was better than the old one - why buy something new if it's not going to do that for you - so it was mostly a positive experience. If all you ever try to do is remake the old sounds, you stagnate. I've always wanted my/our sound to be dynamic and evolve over time.
Last edited by BONES on Tue Sep 11, 2018 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

You have always had a very applied approach to gear, Warren. It goes in and out according to its practical value at any given time. There is not much time for GAS or synth-fetishism. No surprise since it is related to the road in the end even when it is only for the look of it (and maybe the size of your studio cabin too, thnx for the picture, looks cool).

I feel the same, though I do not gig nor tour. Having piles of unused gear is an inspiration killer for me. I lose overview and do not know where to start. Unfortunately this is what happened during my decade on software. I drowned myself in it. It is a little easier to uphold the principle sticking to hardware. I just sold my beloved but out used MC909 for about the same amount I bought a Korg Karma to experiment with Karma tech. I really like when such switches are possible. In other case you just have to eat selling it for much less than you bought it. However, in both cases I find it more sensible than just collecting shit up over your head. It just stands there and taunts you “Ha ha you are an idiot, you bought me but never use me”.
Last edited by IncarnateX on Mon Sep 10, 2018 4:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

I hear ya. The thing for me is that even if I don't use something very much, it can still inspire me at some point and you really can't put a price on that. For example, I didn't really get much use out of either my Minilogue or Monologue but I credit them, along with the Rocket, with helping to get my drive (as in desire to make music) back because they were quick and easy to get into and lots of fun to play around with.

On the other end of the scale, we've been spending way more money on software this year than we ever have before and it's easy to hear how much it has improved our sound. DUNE, all on it's own, has been an absolute revelation (even though I still don't like using it), NI's drum samples have lifted our percussion to a whole new level and stuff like Substance, Arcade and TRK-01 have broadened our sonic palette more than I could have imagined. But we've still bought a few duds, too. Massive, for example, promises a lot but so far hasn't really delivered, although I'm hoping that now that I'm getting my head around it properly I might be able to make some good stuff from scratch.
NOVAkILL : Asus RoG Flow Z13, Core i9, 16GB RAM, Win11 | EVO 16 | Studio One | bx_oberhausen, GR-8, JP6K, Union, Hexeract, Olga, TRK-01, SEM, BA-1, Thorn, Prestige, Spire, Legend-HZ, ANA-2, VG Iron 2 | Uno Pro, Rocket.

BONES wrote:The thing for me is that even if I don't use something very much, it can still inspire me at some point and you really can't put a price on that. For example, I didn't really get much use out of either my Minilogue or Monologue but I credit them, along with the Rocket, with helping to get my drive (as in desire to make music) back because they were quick and easy to get into and lots of fun to play around with.
Can only agree, its priceless. Actually I am in kind of the same situation as you. I have to get my drive back. First thing was to collect all the crap I have made during a decade on software and post in on soundcloud so it has not been in vain. Next step was to find these pieces of gear that could get me going. When I posted my last studio photo I thought I had landed it. Then I found out that my Analog Keys could do probability based sequencing and boom: Yes, now I can have a little chaos into my music to break my anal-sadistic structures. Therefore Karma, and tomorrow Beat Step Pro arrives with its probability- and randomization control. I know which way to go now due to the features of the gear. There is deffo no price to inspiration like that. Its a whole friggin shift of musical paradigm. Haven’t you been there too with the entry of work stations and later PCs (not at least Orion)?

Got to update my studio pic when the new set up is running, btw.

I find it waxes and wanes a lot and over a long period. My current zest follows around 10 years of ennui, which is why our last album took 8 years to finish. There were times when I honestly thought I'd never find the motivation to finish it at all, even though it was 75% done when the previous album was released. Then all the rehearsal we did for Germany last year, along with the new gear we bought for that and the fact the album charted so well, turned it all around and I think I am currently more motivated than I've been since the 1980s when it was all new and exciting.

The stupid thing is that I turn 60 next month, yet I feel more like that kid in his 20s today than I have in years. I just want to run around like my hair's on fire and scream at the top of my lungs (which is basically what our live performances are like).

Congratulations, Warren. That would make you a decade older than me, very young while I was shitting my diapers and someone who has been on the road from dawn of home made electronic music. That is not bad at all, especially if we take into consideration that you have been faithful to a style of music, which would be one of the last you'd chose if you were in it for fame and fortune. You have every reason to feel young; in Denmark we have just said goodbye to one of our greatest composers who has made everything from Jazz to very modern pop music. Figuratively speaking they had to carry him down the stage; the guy was 80 years old and just refused to lay down as long as he could tour. Music kept him young until his body was forced to obey the laws of physics, simple as that.

In less than 4 pages ago, I wrote that I had landed my studio. Next day I got the idea that I would go into semi-structured music using probability and randomness so I needed new gear. Why do I have to hear/read myself stating this shit up to 5 times a decade? :dog: Every time I think I got THE studio that will last for a lifetime, while my experience says the exact opposite; I have never friggin landed anywhere without lifting off again sooner or later. Idiot.

So hereby a photo of my TEMPORARY semi-generative studio ready to lift off. MC909 had to go in favor of Korg Karma. Minilogue was redundant and so was Alesis sample pad, so they are in the closet now. The rest works like this: Midi clock from Fantom G goes to Karma, Deepmind 6, Analog Keys and Beatstep Pro. Beat step Pro control the drum channel of Roland JD-Xi and two analog mono synths: Bass Station II and Toraiz as-1. The only synth that is not under some direct random or probability control is Deepmind 6, however, it has a mood matrix and some really cool tricks up its sleeves to create pseudo randomness.

Does the little mixer feed into the bigger one? Do you have any problems with noise? I was working on a song the other day and decided I like the way the delay tails fade at the end, so I added another four bars so that you get nearly 20 seconds of delay fading away to nothing. It sounds great but it occurred to me that I can only do that because it's all ITB and there is no noise to deal with.

BONES, dear mate. You may rightfully feel young but you did actually ask the same question on page 274 :lol: Never mind though, I am like that every morning :hug: Need at least half an hour and shitloads of coffee to recall who and where I am and it is only getting worse.

Anyway, the mixers are just chained to get enough inputs. The output from the little mixer goes to the big one’s “two-track” input and is not processed further but just added. They are both Behringers with 3 band eqs and sound about the same. From here everything passes through my Behringer Denoiser Snr 2000 (right under JD-Xi) and into Fantom G. I am very sensitive to noise and hum and no hardware studio would make much sense to me without my 20+ year old denoiser. I would be on software if I did not have a hardware friend like that. Treating delay taps would be a question of taming the sensivity of the denoiser and it will decrease their tapping time accordingly when they get low enough for it to close its gate but this is a price I gladly pay.

Cheers

I asked the question of someone else who has a DP|4, which is the noisiest thing I have ever owned in my life. Don't you worry that your denoiser is somehow colouring your sound? I don't think I could trust something like that, especially something that's trying to do it in real time.

I know my denoiser so inside out from lots of trial-and-error during the years that I can color the sound if I want to by using extreme settings or just let it work subtly but effecient without any noticeable coloring.

It is based on a noise gate and an expander with dynamic low pass filter. Both with threshold, release and ratio control. The expander even has a look-ahead and auto release function if your music is very dynamic. I hardly use it though, because I can usually get better results with manual settings. To get the best out of it, you will have to minimize noise as much as possible already from the source and make sure the music is send through at highest possible volume (without distortion), so the denoiser’s sensivity does not mess up parts with lower volumes by closing both gate and filter before you want them to.

Here are a couple photos of my small work/music area:
Keyboards.jpg
Phatty.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Looking nice. :tu: The speakers look familiar. :) Got the same here.

chk071 wrote:Looking nice. :tu: The speakers look familiar. :) Got the same here.
:tu:

Examigan wrote:Here are a couple photos of my small work/music area:
Keyboards.jpg
Phatty.jpg

Nice Rob, today I ordered a Roland TR8s and a Blue SH01a along with another MAM MB33 for my setup. I'll be putting some live jamming on the website nearer Christmas.

Rob

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”