Lets see some studio pics

Anything about MUSIC but doesn't fit into the forums above.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

i like the fridge that looks like a rack of synths :tu:

looks like a nice place to work 8)

RichieWitch wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:35 pm Haven't posted any studio pics since I moved from Florida to New York, so here is an update. I had a Mackie Onyx 1620i for awhile, and the left channel died. Then I restored a Tascam M-312B, and the movers trashed it (a claim is in the works). So now I'm down to my traveling interface, a Komplete Audio 6--with the help of two patchbays, I'm making it work.
Nice setup. That tall rack looks like something out of an old Sci-fi movie (or AT&T/Bell Laboratories photo).

I have that desk too. I see you removed the top parts like I did. The design is just so shallow and lacking desktop surface with the top parts in place.

Wondering if yours was made as badly as mine:

Did they build your desk’s parts with the main desk surface’s plastic edge strip upside down where the curved surface is on the bottom and the sharp part is where your arms/wrists tend to rub across while coming and going at the desk surface?

Also, are the racks super tight to screw in? The machining of mine (rack and supplied rack screws) seems to be inferior to other rack gear like MidAtlantic stuff. I have to work like hell to get the screws in.
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 6:11 pm
RichieWitch wrote: Sat Nov 30, 2019 7:35 pm Haven't posted any studio pics since I moved from Florida to New York, so here is an update. I had a Mackie Onyx 1620i for awhile, and the left channel died. Then I restored a Tascam M-312B, and the movers trashed it (a claim is in the works). So now I'm down to my traveling interface, a Komplete Audio 6--with the help of two patchbays, I'm making it work.
Nice setup. That tall rack looks like something out of an old Sci-fi movie (or AT&T/Bell Laboratories photo).

I have that desk too. I see you removed the top parts like I did. The design is just so shallow and lacking desktop surface with the top parts in place.

Wondering if yours was made as badly as mine:

Did they build your desk’s parts with the main desk surface’s plastic edge strip upside down where the curved surface is on the bottom and the sharp part is where your arms/wrists tend to rub across while coming and going at the desk surface?

Also, are the racks super tight to screw in? The machining of mine (rack and supplied rack screws) seems to be inferior to other rack gear like MidAtlantic stuff. I have to work like hell to get the screws in.
Thanks Jace & vurt,

I picked up that rack at a studio equipment consignment shop in Burbank. The salesman told me that it had been brought in when some big studio finally went under. It's vintage 60's, all heavy sheet metal, in "NASA blue". LOL Luckily, it also has big rubber casters.

As for the desk, I didn't have any problems with the trim, but you're right about the screws. I think the thread sizes are slightly off which forces you to use the bag of screws the desk came with--they seem to fit pretty good. But yeah, standard rack screws take some real muscle to get in.

I actually liked having the top shelf, although I had to remove it every time I moved the studio (desk wouldn't fit through a standard-sized door with the shelf on). But I finally tossed it when I bought my Tascam M-312B mixing board. It requires the entire depth of the desk (see the pic). I added the monitor stand so that I could position the computer monitors just above the meter bridge. Alas, the recent movers must have run over it with the truck, because several of the faders are mangled, bent, and some broke off entirely.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

I found a studio photo from 1997 ...

tcc_ashfelt_studio_1997.jpg

I miss my old cat maxx & that Jupiter 6 ... :)
RichieWitch wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:25 pm I finally tossed it when I bought my Tascam M-312B mixing board. It requires the entire depth of the desk (see the pic).
That M-312B mixer looks lovely ... I have a Tascam 244 (not quite as cool). :ud:
RichieWitch wrote: Sun Dec 01, 2019 7:25 pm Alas, the recent movers must have run over it with the truck, because several of the faders are mangled, bent, and some broke off entirely.
That's terrible ... I managed to move recently with zero damage. I flightcased or reboxed as much as possible then moved it myself (in the back of the car).
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:00 am That's terrible ... I managed to move recently with zero damage. I flightcased or reboxed as much as possible then moved it myself (in the back of the car).
These movers were animals. :troll:

I move every two or three years for work, so I keep all my original equipment boxes and my keyboards have flight cases. I originally bought the blue rack as a way to safely move my gear. But these guys punched holes through six inches of solid styrofoam packing, bent steel bars inside the wardrobe boxes, and bashed my crated dresser so badly, it was just a pile of firewood when it arrived. The unloading movers refused to take that dresser off the truck for fear of hurting themselves on the shattered pieces. Every box had to be thrown away after it was unpacked, because they were all crushed, torn, punctured, or destroyed.

I've moved 32 times in the last 40 years, including four corporate moves like this one, and I have never seen this level of destruction. :-x

I don't know if the Tascam will ever be usable again. I've contacted several shops that specialize in repairing vintage gear and they won't touch it--can't get parts. My only option would be to buy a second one and scrounge enough parts to repair one of them. I spent six months tearing mine apart and replacing every capacitor on every circuit card. I used the thing for three months before the move. Just makes me ill.

I think you said something about an insurance claim before but I can’t recall without looking back... and it’s worth expressing again anyway: You’re suing the moving company, right???

You’re so right about the desk not fitting through doorways with the top rack/shelf attached. Mine was actually broken by a moving process. Because the hardware used to “secure” the top piece is shit, it fell away from the desk and tore one of the securely attached bits. It is still technically usable, but there’s that lack of topside surface complaint of mine, so I leave it off.

I’m also sort of glad to hear that your rack and screws are like mine. I hate being “special”. :-D
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote: Mon Dec 02, 2019 12:26 pm I think you said something about an insurance claim before but I can’t recall without looking back... and it’s worth expressing again anyway: You’re suing the moving company, right???
As luck would have it, I bought the "full replacement value" insurance this time around, so yeah, I've got an insurance claim in the works and should be meeting with the adjuster this week. I've pulled comparative values off the web for everything that was broken. The Tascam is a tough one because they don't come up for sale often, and when they do, they're rarely restored/recapped. I'm placing the value around $950 based on what I could find on reverb.com. We'll see....

I wish you the best on that!
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

I'm sorry to hear about your Tascam mixer... still that's a beautiful setup. You have a lot of neat/uncommon modules in your Euro system and I always like to see that. How do you like that Presonus ACP-88? I'd like to pair one with my DigiMax FS pres, for tracking drums.

justin3am wrote: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:18 pm I'm sorry to hear about your Tascam mixer... still that's a beautiful setup. You have a lot of neat/uncommon modules in your Euro system and I always like to see that. How do you like that Presonus ACP-88? I'd like to pair one with my DigiMax FS pres, for tracking drums.
Hehe, yeah, my Eurorack setup started out as an FX station for the rest of my synths, and then became a weird and wonderful instrument on its own when I discovered the mathematics of chaos.

Still fun to use it as an FX station--on a recent track, I routed my DAW out through those Vermonoa input transformers, mixed to mono in a tube VCA, and then on to the Juno 106 chorus circuit to add shimmer to some long ambient chords.

As for the ACP-88, I absolutely love working with it. I originally bought it when I was doing a lot of demo work with local musicians, tracking vocals and acoustic instruments. I had eight mic channels back then, so this was a great fit. The built-in noise gate is great for sensitive mics, and it's super easy to dial in for leveling a vocal. I've used it on my drum machine too, and it's pretty good for sculpting drum transients.

I'm not set up to do demo work anymore, but I hang on to the unit because I eventually want to add a Vermona drum synth to my setup, and that synth has eight channels, one for each drum sound. The ACP-88 will be perfect for that.

I think your PC fell over...
- dysamoria.com
my music @ SoundCloud

Jace-BeOS wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:47 pm I think your PC fell over...
Sleep mode?
Last edited by Kr3eM on Fri Dec 06, 2019 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kr3eM wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:56 pm
Jace-BeOS wrote: Fri Dec 06, 2019 1:47 pm I think your PC fell over...
Sleep mode?
:hihi:

20191206_210745.jpg

:o

Return to “Everything Else (Music related)”