FREE: Alexis D-Four ... 90s drum sounds

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I can't believe it's finally done. I've been seriously procrastinating this project months at a time because of the huge amount of sample cutting and file renaming and instrument designing involved, plus all the other dry and pretty boring repetitive work... *sigh*

Download links removed from site as Alesis officially do not want my samples circulating.
http://free.chokehold.net/alexis-dfour/

Demo track here:
http://soundcloud.com/chokehold/alexis-d-four-demo

What it is:

A drum sampler with a huge 1.16GB sound library.
500 drum sounds, 3000 samples, 1 custom patch.

Not "sampler" in the professional sense as Superior Drummer and the likes, but in an amateur (=me) kind of way. One sound per plugin instance, but helluva sound! (more on that further down)

Win or Mac, VSTi or AUi, x86 or x64.

Load the plugin onto a track, select the sound you want, trigger it via MIDI note C1 - job done.
That's actually all there's to it.

This is no longer true.
The plugin is now an assumed 99% General MIDI compatible, so Kicks only trigger with C1, Snares only trigger with D1 etc. To avoid too much confusion, each patch has been appended the MIDI note name and number that triggers it.

What's inside it:
  • 99 Kicks
    99 Snares
    92 Toms
    55 Cymbals
    76 Percussive sounds
    79 Original effects
    1 custom silence FX patch

You'll also find a separate WAV file on the download page that contains nothing but the "silence" coming out of the original device when it's idling.
Nearly 5 minutes of true -76dBfs analog 16-bit noise floor recorded in 24/44.1 - I'm sure some of you will find use for it... :)

As I'm a Reaper user, I have uploaded a text file that contains the note names you can load into Reaper's MIDI editor, so you don't just see a keyboard but you can read what you're doing.

--> If any of you feel like contributing, I think "the masses" would approve of such mapping aids for other DAWs, should they support something. So if you have the time - put a mapping together and send it to me, so I can upload it with the rest.
Your way of saying "thank you". ;)

How is it controlled?

To the left is the volume knob, and just like on the real device there's no scale or default value. Select a sound and adjust the volume so it doesn't clip. Pretty simple. Those were the 90s... :lol:

The display doesn't just display, it also selects.
In the upper half you see what SET is currently loaded (Kicks, Snares, Toms, etc.) and in the lower half you see what INSTRUMENT of that set is selected.
Click on either one to show a popup menu that lets you jump directly to a specific set or instrument.

If you want to skip through the sounds one by one, you can do so by using the little arrow keys to the right of the GUI.

Pressing the "stop sound" button will immediately halt and end all currently playing samples. Nothing fancy, but might come in handy sometime.

The big Data wheel in the middle of the GUI doesn't do anything yet, as the sampling system I use can't implement a pitch shifting control in a useful way at the moment. This MIGHT change, so that wheel MIGHT find use at a later time, but I can't promise anything.

Is it practical to use?

Depends on what you expect.

No, it does not compare well technically to full-fledged "realistic" drumkit samplers with mic positions, mixers, internal FX, etc. for live performances.

But if you need a fat kick or a snappy snare and don't feel like setting up wire buzz times and saturation amounts - give it a spin. Who cares if you need a track per sound - if the sounds are good. :)

The installation requires some (one short time) attention... the zip files and download page are littered with the "IMPORTANT - Installation.txt" file, and if you follow the few easy steps in there to the word - you'll be thumping and thrashing in no time.

About the sound:

True 16-bit stereo samples, just like in the 90s.

Recorded with expensive gear and high-quality cables, yes, but no Neve consoles or Studer tapes involved. Sorry to disappoint you. :P

Just recording one loud sample and "scaling" or attenuating it at lower velocities would be a quick and easy way to create something like this, but the overall sound would also lose most of the background hiss when quieter notes play.

And what's worse - scaling would distort the dynamics of the actual sound fading down into the background hiss differently at various volumes, because the background hiss would get scaled down as well. So I sampled all sounds at 6 velocities to avoid this loss of analogogueitity and to keep the feeling "true".

There's an image at the download page that should help you understand what I'm on about. ;)

To younger ears used to ultra-clean and sterile digital samples, this might sound a little grungy and fuzzy, it does to me as well. But it's not a harsh fuzz, it's actually a very pleasant and slight fuzz, and may just be what's missing in oh so many modern productions. :)

And now - enjoy!

Be creative and be sure to link your works with the Alexis here, I love to know what good comes out of my hard work. :)

Let me know if you have any problems.

Cheers
Rob
Last edited by chokehold on Thu Jun 27, 2013 10:20 am, edited 11 times in total.
I don't work here, I just feed the trolls.
My sales thread @ Market Place
My website with lots of free stuff:
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

Thanks Rob. Should make a great Drum Rack in Live9.
I had a girlfriend called Alexis in the 90s.

As long as her last name wasn't Bledel... would've been a bit young in the 90s. ;)

BTW, I initially thought it would be a good idea to have ALL the sounds triggered by C1. Now I'm currently experimenting with how much more complicated it would be (to use) if I did actually assign the sounds to different keys.

You know, Kick on C1, Snare on D1, each Tom its own key, then the Cymbals and FX... I think one would quickly lose track of why what sound isn't playing and what key to press to make it.

But having everything triggered from C1 can be a bit messy... so if YOU, the potential users, have any opinion on this topic - let me know.

It shouldn't take too long to convert it, should the majority of you really want separate keys for different kit pieces. (Would still be only one sound per plugin instance)

EDIT: ...or maybe keep the global C1 triggering, but spread the various instrument groups over the MIDI channels? So that C1 on MIDI Channel 1 triggers a kick, but C1 on MIDI Channel 4 triggers a Medium Tom?

Let me know!

Cheers
Sampled drums and instruments | Clipping plugin | Shure SRH840 EQ correction presets | SFZ syntax mode for Coda2

Pulled a few strings (pardon the pun) and created a quick demo track with a couple of (partly layered) sounds out of this beast. Absolutely everything in this track is from the Alexis, except for the bass of course.

https://soundcloud.com/chokehold/alexis-d-four-demo

Thanks for this - I'll definitely give it a spin! As far as a use for the data wheel is concerned - how about tuning? I seem to remember the indivdual drum hits be tuned up or down on the original? Just a thought.

dexterbella wrote:Thanks for this - I'll definitely give it a spin! As far as a use for the data wheel is concerned - how about tuning? I seem to remember the indivdual drum hits be tuned up or down on the original? Just a thought.
Yes, you're right, tuning the hits up and down was possible. I'll look into that!

As far as the controlling goes... I think the overall best and most realistic approach would be that every type of instrument gets a dedicated note and that I re-arrange the various instruments from the current 6 categories of the original device (kicks, snares, toms, cymbals, percussion, effects) into several more categories (kicks, snares, sticks, rimshots, hats, rides, tom hi, tom med, ...)

That should make it a PITA to skip through the patches, but it would be easier to understand what note triggers what instrument.

And it would be much easier to use because you could keep the drum programming concentrated in one MIDI clip, rather than one MIDI clip per instance.

Any better ideas?

chokehold wrote:it would be easier to understand what note triggers what instrument.

And it would be much easier to use because you could keep the drum programming concentrated in one MIDI clip, rather than one MIDI clip per instance.

Any better ideas?
Sounds like a plan to me.

chokehold wrote:As long as her last name wasn't Bledel... would've been a bit young in the 90s. ;)

BTW, I initially thought it would be a good idea to have ALL the sounds triggered by C1. Now I'm currently experimenting with how much more complicated it would be (to use) if I did actually assign the sounds to different keys.

You know, Kick on C1, Snare on D1, each Tom its own key, then the Cymbals and FX... I think one would quickly lose track of why what sound isn't playing and what key to press to make it.

But having everything triggered from C1 can be a bit messy... so if YOU, the potential users, have any opinion on this topic - let me know.

It shouldn't take too long to convert it, should the majority of you really want separate keys for different kit pieces. (Would still be only one sound per plugin instance)

EDIT: ...or maybe keep the global C1 triggering, but spread the various instrument groups over the MIDI channels? So that C1 on MIDI Channel 1 triggers a kick, but C1 on MIDI Channel 4 triggers a Medium Tom?

Let me know!

Cheers
It would be good if each sound was mapped to an individual key, and the vst presented the names in the piano roll ( as some drum machines/synth do....and the host supports of course)

I think i still have SR16 and DR660 samples if you want them. Sampled last year.

Thanks for the D4, will def give it a run during the week.

Double post

For the longest time, whenever possible, I have been loading the samples on an external drive and the .DLL for any sample based VSTs on my C-drive, so that I can avoid running out of scarce C drive space. Your installation seems to want to put 1.6GB of samples on my C-drive. Not sure I can stand that load. Is there a way to put the .DLL on my C-drive and the samples on a different drive?
My music is a fusion of jazz and funk. It's called "Junk"

I like the idea of dedicated notes for types of sounds, and then choosing specific samples within those categories. Seems like the best compromise.
Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

Great sounding module... thanks

If you could consider making a gm type patch for this would it would be great..

Kriminal wrote:It would be good if each sound was mapped to an individual key
You mean Kick Patch #1 - C1, Kick Patch #2 - C#1, Kick Patch #3 - D1, etc.?
Nope, not worth implementing.

It would enable you to load "Kicks Pack 1" and trigger all Kick patches in that Pack in parallel via dedicated notes, so layering ONE type of drum would be easy.

But it would still mean you'd have to edit the drums in multiple separate MIDI clips… send MIDI clip #1 to the AD4 instance with the kicks, send MIDI clip #2 to the AD4 instance with the snares.

I want to reach a point where you may have to send around a MIDI clip to several different instrument tracks with AD4s loaded, but where the MIDI editing is concentrated to as few MIDI clips as possible. Wouldn't you rather edit your kick, snare, toms and maybe a few others in 1 MIDI item, rather than 1 MIDI item for kicks, 1 MIDI item for snares, etc? :)
Kriminal wrote:(...) the vst presented the names in the piano roll
As I'm using a 3rd party sampling system, what the sampler does isn't really up to me. So passing stuff like that to the host isn't really something I can implement. But I could throw in a free mapping text file that you can load into Reaper's MIDI editor... :)
Kriminal wrote:I think i still have SR16 and DR660 samples if you want them.
Do "the people" want them? :)
But sure, if you'd like them put into a plugin then send me links to the samples, and I will see what I can do.

tropicalontour wrote:Is there a way to put the .DLL on my C-drive and the samples on a different drive?
As I mentioned above, I use a 3rd party sampling system so my plugins are limited by what it can and can not do. I'll have to check with the dev if something like that is possible already or can be implemented relatively easily.

Of course, I agree totally with you that it would be way more elegant to have the samples on another drive, I have a dedicated sample drive myself.

But if you can't put 1.7GB on your system drive every once in a while, you might be doing something wrong. ;)

deastman wrote:I like the idea of dedicated notes for types of sounds, and then choosing specific samples within those categories.
Yup, sounds like the smoothest compromise. I think I'll do that.

Arises the next problem - what notes to assign to what instrument.

Elffin wrote:If you could consider making a gm type patch for this would it would be great..
What exactly do you mean by "GM type patch"?
Note assignments like here?

That would be a very complex mapping, which wouldn't be a problem for me to make - but for non-GM users to understand. Also - GM has no mapping for certain sounds like the rimshots, so as what would I assign them?

I've compiled a quick list of some samplers and how they map their instruments, thanks to your GM hint I could add that to the list. See some similarities? :)
http://chokehold.net/temp/drum-mappings.txt

So I guess "my" mapping would be somewhere along the GM mapping anyway, maybe not quite as extensive.

chokehold wrote:
Kriminal wrote:It would be good if each sound was mapped to an individual key
You mean Kick Patch #1 - C1, Kick Patch #2 - C#1, Kick Patch #3 - D1, etc.?
Nope, not worth implementing.
Shame, i would like to be able to trigger all samples on same MIDI channel and program in the piano roll with all sounds available. That way you only have to load one instance.

chokehold wrote:
Kriminal wrote:I think i still have SR16 and DR660 samples if you want them.
Do "the people" want them? :)
But sure, if you'd like them put into a plugin then send me links to the samples, and I will see what I can do.
cant find the SR16 ones, but i have the DR660 samples (20 kits, 320 wav files i think 16/44 mono)

zipped its 17meg....

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”