Should i upgrade? Sampletank 3

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS
SampleTank SampleTank 3

Musical Gym wrote:I didn't realize that my old ST 2 XL sounds are part of the "new" 33 gig content. I guess I'm going to have a bunch of duplicates now. Do you have any idea how much of the content is actually recycled from ST2?
Just a hair under 25GB of the 33.8GB you will be downloading is completely new sampled content.
Last edited by Peter - IK Multimedia on Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:Just a hair under 25GB of the 33.8GB you will be downloading.
If you're answering my question, you're saying that almost 25 gb is old content I already have??

No, just the opposite. Please see my edit (I was adding your quote for context)

Peter - IK Multimedia wrote:No, just the opposite. Please see my edit (I was adding your quote for context)
Thanks

bosone wrote:
mhog wrote:
bosone wrote:same for me.
i would have payd maybe 30$ for just the ST3 engine, without the sounds, to be able to play old ST2 and miroslav content. i simply don't need 33GB of useless (for me!) sounds that i can easily duplicate with my other libraries.
i just don't understand IK policy regarding this matter.
If you need ST3 engine so much, just buy ST3 complete and then remove the useless (for you) sounds. An "empty ST3 engine" is rather weird as a concept, IMO, being it a rompler and not even a ST2 update, but a brand new instrument (yet capable of ST2 old sounds import).
I just don't "need" the ST3 sounds, i deeply thought about that.
for me it would just be nice to be able to use the old ST2 sounds (I have all of them in the IK total bundle) with a usable interface. ST2 interface just sucks, but there are some (just some, not so many, indeed!) nice sounds in it :)

Since i don't really need any of the ST3 sounds, 99€ for me (80+tax) were really too much, so why spending money in something i don't need?.
i would happily pay maybe about 20-30€ for just the engine to import ST2 sounds, that's all... moreover,but i can also live without ST2 sounds, that's not a problem.
i just prefer to save these 100€ for komplete 10 upgrade (I have komplete 8) instead of ST3, it has much more value IMHO.
but i could easily have spent 20-30 € for the ST3 engine update without even thinking about it!

BBFG# wrote:
bosone wrote: i would have payd maybe 30$ for just the ST3 engine, without the sounds,
... i just don't understand IK policy regarding this matter.
I guess I just don't understand your rationale regarding this matter.
Hmm. So you would pay $30.00 for an update but not $99.99 for an upgrade? If that is the case then the fact you think the engine alone is worth $30.00 puts the remainder of value in a 25-33GB library for $69.99, which is great considering it's given content.
Unless you keep procrastinating and drive the price higher. I guess you could wait for their next Group Buy though.
i thought about the future group buy.
moreover there was nothing really intersting in ST3 sound library that i don't already have. maybe in the future they will offer a path to use just the old ST2 sounds in the new interface (expecialy miroslav), but if not i can just live without.

the only *real* reason that made me think about the ST3 upgrade was indeed the possibilty to use Miroslav sounds in an efficient way. but then i realized that i already have several orchestral libraries (garritan instant and personal orchestra + kontakt 5 VSL + kirk hunter solo strings) and miroslav would not add "so much" to my palette.
maybe they will think about a dedicate update to this library, with more features like legato, dedicate keyswitching, deep expression control, round robin, etc. then i maybe will consider it! :)
Absolutely...To put it simply. IK multimedia is acting greedy. They lose nothing by offering a cheap version of the engine (the VST itself). If they were to do such a thing for people that want a 64 bit sampler that works with their already purchased content then they would only be increasing their potential customer base. By requiring people who have content but don't want to pay for the "new" content (like me) they are limiting potential sales.

It doesn't make any sense. And it stinks of greed.

It's clear that there are many people who have been asking for a 64 bit solution to their Sampletank 2.5 problems for a LONG time. Secondly there are a lot of people who have been asking for a better interface for a LONG time. IK multimedia is in a position to 1) make money and 2) solve a simple pair of problems for a portion of their customer base, which would likely further solidify the relationship. Whereas with the current policy, people like me or the others here like me, are nothing more than missed opportunities.

It isn't about personal finances vs. company requirements for profit or anything of the sort because offering a lower cost version of the plugin for people who have already invested in a large selection of IK multimedia content doesn't DECREASE sales for IK...it widens the potential market.

I would hope that Peter would point this out to whoever he reports to when he sees posts such as this on such a widely viewed forum. I haven't seen a good explanation for why it can't be done (or why the company feels it isn't worthwhile)...only that it isn't done because "it isn't".

Gizzmo0815 wrote: I would hope that Peter would point this out to whoever he reports to when he sees posts such as this on such a widely viewed forum. I haven't seen a good explanation for why it can't be done (or why the company feels it isn't worthwhile)...only that it isn't done because "it isn't".
+1

I think saying Sampletank 3 has a better interface is giving it a bit more credit than it deserves. Better than Sampletank 2, yes. But better by 2014 standards, no. They could have, should have, done better.
-Matt

msorrels wrote:I think saying Sampletank 3 has a better interface is giving it a bit more credit than it deserves. Better than Sampletank 2, yes. But better by 2014 standards, no. They could have, should have, done better.
I'm inclined to agree. Preset browsing is a nightmare. I don't think I'll ever have the time or patience to audition all the sounds.
Last edited by Kraznet on Sun Jul 27, 2014 7:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Asus Z97-A| i7 4770K|32GB DDR3|Samsung 850 Pro 512 SSD System|Crucial 960gb SSD A/V|Crucial 960 SSD Samples|GTX 960 2GB|RME Raydat|Windows 10 x64, Philips 40" 4K
My Samplitude/Sequoia Tutorials are here :
http://www.youtube.com/kraznet

If there was a company that would spend more engineering design time writing an excellent browser and user interface, me think that would be a better selling point than just bundling more and more sounds. Even better, in 2014, hook it to internet so there was an easy way to try out content, free or paid, via the browser.

msorrels wrote:I think saying Sampletank 3 has a better interface is giving it a bit more credit than it deserves. Better than Sampletank 2, yes. But better by 2014 standards, no. They could have, should have, done better.
Check back in 2024 when ST4 is due to drop. You might get what you were hoping for. Then again, never mind. If you're disappointed now after "10 years" of incubation, then methinks you'll never be happy (not that I blame you, mind).

Silver lining: be thankful you have something better to work with. :)
You need to limit that rez, bro.

ksandvik wrote:If there was a company that would spend more engineering design time writing an excellent browser and user interface, me think that would be a better selling point than just bundling more and more sounds. Even better, in 2014, hook it to internet so there was an easy way to try out content, free or paid, via the browser.
Yikes… Image Line did something like that for a while… sounds better on paper, less so in practice.

Image Line is working constantly on FL Studio now v11 (64bit etc.) and FL12 will be awesome with the new GUI so what you are talking about?
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

valerian_777 wrote:Image Line is working constantly on FL Studio now v11 (64bit etc.) and FL12 will be awesome with the new GUI so what you are talking about?
What am I talking about? What are you talking about?

The statement was made that the ST3 browser should be connected to the internet, patches can be downloaded, etc. If you know IL, then you'll know that their online "Content Browser" or whatever it's called is a royal PITA. It was required by a certain number of (otherwise very good) synths of theirs at some point. And it was not a joy to use.

I misread your point, sorry! Yes, thats true i disabled online browser anyway forever but the usual browser is very good imo.
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

NP, valerian_777! Long Live Effective Patch Browsers! :)

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”