Soniccouture favourites?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Harry_HH wrote:You most likely did: the "re-save batch",
https://soundiron.com/pages/pro-tip-1-r ... load-times

and save individual (own) preset, to which I refer later, are two different operations, both help quicker dowload.
It seems a magical and monumental change. Anybody know exaclty why it helps so much?

Hi All,

Regarding 'Batch Re-saving' of libraries. This is a peculiar issue that happens sometimes on some people's systems when they put a fresh library there. NI don't know what causes it, but simply resaving the NKI relinks samples properly, and from then on it loads quickly as it should.
For the record, it's not something that we neglected to do in advance!

Electro-Acoustic kits:

Only the kit in the snapshot (preset) will load - if you change kit or kit pieces, they load up from disc. So it is not a question of having to load all the drum machines at once. The fact is that most people don't realise how huge the 909 / 808 kits are. The 808 kick is 2gb on its own. That's why it might feel like you are loading all the kits. You'll notice if you load, say, the Drumulator, that it's much smaller and loads much quicker.

If you go to kontakts' snapshot menu, you will find individual presets for all the dry, default drum machines there - you don't need to create your own nkis, just load these.

James

soniccouture wrote:Hi All,

Regarding 'Batch Re-saving' of libraries. This is a peculiar issue that happens sometimes on some people's systems when they put a fresh library there. NI don't know what causes it, but simply resaving the NKI relinks samples properly, and from then on it loads quickly as it should.

Electro-Acoustic kits:

Only the kit in the snapshot (preset) will load - if you change kit or kit pieces, they load up from disc. So it is not a question of having to load all the drum machines at once. The fact is that most people don't realise how huge the 909 / 808 kits are. The 808 kick is 2gb on its own. That's why it might feel like you are loading all the kits. You'll notice if you load, say, the Drumulator, that it's much smaller and loads much quicker.

If you go to kontakts' snapshot menu, you will find individual presets for all the dry, default drum machines there - you don't need to create your own nkis, just load these.

James
I don't know how common this is, but I strongly doubt its only "some" peoples challenge. I have owned 6 DAW systems, running two at the moment, and all of them when running almost any bigger libraries suffer because of this.

But because this is first and foremost a Soniccouture thread, one wish towards James: I have owned the Electro-Acoustic almost from the very beginning, I think soundwise its really beautiful. But inspite of 2 different "beat engines", creating beats are the weakest point in my opinion.
Maybe ordinary sequencer including a big library groove module presets, for each kit piece separately. And import external midi grooves?

Electro-Acoustic kits:

James
Thank you for a quick response. Waiting for the load was not such a big deal for me, but it was great that it could be fixed so easily. Just out of pure curiosity, why does the 808 take up so much more HD space than the Drumulator?

GearNostalgia wrote:
Thank you for a quick response. Waiting for the load was not such a big deal for me, but it was great that it could be fixed so easily. Just out of pure curiosity, why does the 808 take up so much more HD space than the Drumulator?

The 808 has several parameter knobs on the original unit. we sampled every possible combination of these, with 5 round robins each.

So, for the 808 kick, there are two control knobs: Decay and Tone. Sampling 11 positions for each knob, in each combinations, nromal + accent sample = 2662 samples

1331 samples x 5 round robins = 13,310 samples

13,310 samples x 11 channels (Dry, emi desk, valve, amp etc) = 146, 410 samples for the 808 kick.

The Drumulator has no pitch or synthesis controls at all, it is just 1 sample per drum. Round robins bring no benefit, we tested this. it always 'machine guns' even once you have recorded it through a PA into a mic.

So it's 1 sample x 11 channel = 11 samples.

James

soniccouture wrote:13,310 samples x 11 channels (Dry, emi desk, valve, amp etc) = 146, 410 samples for the 808 kick.
ok, now that calls for the question: How many samples are there in EA altogether?

Electro-Acoustic kits:

James
Could you please clarify because something does not add up. Well at least not on my system. And as you can see other user reported even two times more loading time then what i reported.

I do have fairly strong computer. Ok it's not SSD for libraries but..Everything else is top notch. There is no library in my system which takes more then 5 sec to load. And i do have very very huge libraries.

Note before i continue that i am not patronizing neither do i whine. I am very grateful for inspiring soinccouture products. I am trying to find is there some error on my side and to find optimal workflow.

Example: Wavealchemy Evolution. I know it's competition product but i need to list it here for comparison. Their library is 8gb in size. They also have Round Robin sampling, sequencers, IR reverbs etc.etc.

It takes around 6 sec to load their most complete library (meaning huge instrument which contain all machines). It load very quicky in a session and i see in kontakt rest of the samples are still loading (that yellow progress line at the top) so to complete it takes around 15 sec. But GUI is loaded around 6 sec.

They also offer "individual" modules meaning you can load in your kontakt just 808 BassDrum. etc.

But let us focus on their big library. Their 8gb takes 6 sec while your 14gb takes 2:13sec - that is 2 minutes and 13 seconds. I measured. Another user which is on mac reported here that for him on Mac it takes around 5 minutes to load ElectroAcoustic kit.

So there is something wrong.

I reported my loading time decreased after i batch resaved but that's not true actually i realized it was 30 seconds but that was after i made several loading before in kontakt that so my result is not correct. When i boot up my computer and when i start DAW and load ElectroAcoustic in my session my DAW project is loading for more then 2 minutes.

Ok you said that i could basically load Electro Acoustic instrument in a DAW and for example i selected "909 Dry" from preset menu. I did and i saved session in my DAW. From what you said above - next time when i load DAW and if i understand you correctly only 909 samples from Electro Acoustic should load right?

But my session is loaded and yes 909 samples are loaded inside ElectroAcoustic correctly but it still took 2:04 to load. That is 2 minutes loading time. IMHO it's a disaster to me.

What seems to be a problem there? How come Wavealchemy managed to deal with this. Their 8gb library load almost instantly.

I am still under impression everything gets loaded. That would certainly explain 14gb loading time. Because when i switch through various drum machines inside your Electro Acoustic instrument all other machines load/switch completely - under 3 sec...

Which is why i implied that you offer version of just individual machines not all in one (but i maybe wrong about that one and something is messy here...).

soniccouture wrote: The 808 has several parameter knobs on the original unit. we sampled every possible combination of these, with 5 round robins each.

So, for the 808 kick, there are two control knobs: Decay and Tone. Sampling 11 positions for each knob, in each combinations, nromal + accent sample = 2662 samples

1331 samples x 5 round robins = 13,310 samples
Ok, so if I understand it there are five samples for every combination of knob settings? I know it is an analog device and that each hit may sound a little different, but in many cases that slight change may not be needed. Is there a way to load the instrument without round robins? For me that would be a good starting point to just load 1/5 of it when starting a track. Later when I have scetched out my track I could load up the full shabang with round robins and record the final mix.
soniccouture wrote: 13,310 samples x 11 channels (Dry, emi desk, valve, amp etc) = 146, 410 samples for the 808 kick.
Impressive :tu:
soniccouture wrote:
The Drumulator has no pitch or synthesis controls at all, it is just 1 sample per drum. Round robins bring no benefit, we tested this. it always 'machine guns' even once you have recorded it through a PA into a mic.

So it's 1 sample x 11 channel = 11 samples.
James
Ahh,I see it is just a one sample machine from the start

:dog: UPDATE: i think i am going mad...

Kontakt Standalone boot Electronic Instruments in under 9 second.

But

Kontakt in my DAW boot same library above 2 minutes ?!?!?!

Any tips?

I just added folder exclusion to my windows defender and i added file types as being suggested here: https://www.native-instruments.com/foru ... ed.314656/

I added file types by following above forum suggestion and this tutorial...https://winaero.com/blog/exclusions-win ... indows-10/

But nothing helped. Even if i turn off antivirus completely my loading time is absurd when kontakt is loaded in DAW. Kontakt standalone works just fine.

UPDATE2: i have found issue...

It's not my system...it's not Kontakt...it's not even Windows Defender...

It's....

It's..

It's a Reason 10 :dog:

When ElectroAcoustic is loaded under Reason 10 it takes above 2 minutes to load (strangely other libraries load just fine in Reason 10).

Same instrument loaded in Ableton or Reaper load under 9 seconds...

Any tip? Why does this particular (Electro Acoustic) library load above 2 minutes in Reason yet other SonicCouture libraries load fine. I guess it's a Reason developer question right?

Update: 4

unbelievable¨!!

I fixed it in Reason 10!!

I recalled i have jbridge which is awesome tool not only for bridging 32bit to 64 bit plugins but you can bridge 64bit to 64 bit and use awesome jbridge Settings for plugin troubleshooting or if you want to run plugin in a separate thread etc..

So i bridged my 64 bit kontakt into jbridge and now when i load jbridged kontakt in to reason and i go to jbridge settings i just ticked

"Force whole gui refresh" in jbridge plugin settings.

Voila! Kontakt and Electro Acoustic load in 7 seconds in reason.

Reason VST support is still in its infancy. Hopefully they will fixed it later as they said.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”