Rhythm Assembler, alternative take on drum sequencer, free Kontakt script (updated)

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Zombie Queen
KVRAF
4450 posts since 1 Aug, 2005 from Warszawa, Poland

Post Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:33 pm

I think it should take three rows: number of repetitions - which pattern - sequence position indicator. It could replace accent sequence by a switch, without growing the GUI further... still on the fence with this.

ThomasHelzle
KVRAF
5027 posts since 9 Dec, 2008 from Berlin

Re: Rhythm Assembler, alternative take on drum sequencer, free Kontakt script (updated)

Post Tue Feb 07, 2017 12:39 pm

Makes sense, and don't feel any pressure from my side. It felt like a logical extension but I'm happy with it as is is already :-)

Thanks and cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

ScreenDream|Thomas Helzle 8) Twitter

nordickvr
KVRian
929 posts since 29 Sep, 2013

Re: Rhythm Assembler, alternative take on drum sequencer, free Kontakt script (updated)

Post Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:05 pm

ThomasHelzle wrote:...Do you think it would be possible to have a "pattern sequencer" where I can set how long to play each pattern instead of starting them with Midi notes
That is all about personnal taste of course.
Personnaly I always privilege midi note control, so to speak, rather then having to sequence within Kontakt.
May be I misunderstood what you're saying Tom.
Or both option would be possible?
I need to come back to RA and do my homework, still a lot to figure...
@Zombie Queen
Anyway, it's asking a lot for an already really great script, thank you very very much for sharing.
You're doing so cleaver/original things for Kontakt, deserve lot of praise!

Zombie Queen
KVRAF

Post Tue Feb 07, 2017 3:17 pm

nordickvr wrote:Or both option would be possible?
Both options would be possible. I get what's tempting in sequencing everything in Kontakt. For instance when you're not really composing a track, but just want to set up a beat to improvise by, finding good places to drop midi notes to switch patterns is much more hassle, then setting for example, repeat patter A x7, play break B x1, loop. In which case you may not even have to start a DAW.

And thank you.

David
KVRist
333 posts since 5 Jan, 2003 from Brookings, OR

Post Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:59 am

Greetings, having lots of fun with this (actually using it to create guitar fingerpicking patterns, so useful that this is a script!) and wonder if it's easy(ish) to add a drag-out MIDI-file option, as I'm using Logic with its completely lame MIDI restrictions for AUs. Is this maybe something a user could do, via some hidden Kontakt functionality?

Thanks for yet another eye-opening creation!

Zombie Queen
KVRAF

Post Fri Feb 10, 2017 11:31 am

Not quite easy, I mean not complicated, but would require some extra work. I would have to write a converter from sequence patterns to Kontakt MIDI implementation. If this is a desirable option in general, it may be actually easier to write a separate script which would capture generated notes, while instrument is playing and then create a drag'n'drop object. Which also would work with any instrument.

David
KVRist

Post Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:06 pm

Zombie Queen wrote:Not quite easy, I mean not complicated, but would require some extra work. I would have to write a converter from sequence patterns to Kontakt MIDI implementation. If this is a desirable option in general, it may be actually easier to write a separate script which would capture generated notes, while instrument is playing and then create a drag'n'drop object. Which also would work with any instrument.
Thanks, that WOULD be a cool thing! I wonder if/why this hasn't been done already somewhere…? I've certainly seen and own some instruments that include this feature, and have watched this video tutorial: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZP9wu5k9fM, but unfortunately, that left me with more questions than answers… 

Zombie Queen
KVRAF

Post Fri Feb 10, 2017 5:56 pm

The tutorial shows, how create the midi drag'n'drop object. But first you need actual midi data inside the instrument.

Anyway, try this (updated link)

It's a crude and roughly tested script, which records midi input into Kontakt and then let's you drag and drop midi clip to DAW (or file). Press "start", playback whatever an instrument is playing back, stop recording and drag and drop the midi clip. This will capture any notes coming into Kontakt from outside and script generated notes. To capture script generated notes, make sure you put it in last script slot, it will only receive notes generated by scripts in previous slots. Note, that this script can mess up instruments actually using midi buffer, as it clears the buffer every time you start a recording. Let me know how does it work for you.
Last edited by Zombie Queen on Fri Feb 17, 2017 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

David
KVRist

Post Fri Feb 10, 2017 8:14 pm

Zombie Queen wrote:The tutorial shows, how create the midi drag'n'drop object. But first you need actual midi data inside the instrument.

Anyway, try this:
http://www.fairlyconfusing.net/docs/midi_drop.zip

It's a crude and roughly tested script, which records midi input into Kontakt and then let's you drag and drop midi clip to DAW (or file). Press "start", playback whatever an instrument is playing back, stop recording and drag and drop the midi clip. This will capture any notes coming into Kontakt from outside and script generated notes. To capture script generated notes, make sure you put it in last script slot, it will only receive notes generated by scripts in previous slots. Note, that this script can mess up instruments actually using midi buffer, as it clears the buffer every time you start a recording. Let me know how does it work for you.
WOW!! That's bloody marvelous; works perfectly, in my several quick tests, once using Rhythm Assembler, and once the Drum Computer Factory script! Amazing, so generous of you! Any way to tell or guess if some instrument IS using the MIDI buffer already? Besides, I would assume, any that already have a drag-MIDI-out function would do, yes? Like Beat Assembler, maybe, which I was about to get…? Thanks again!

Zombie Queen
KVRAF

Post Sat Feb 11, 2017 5:37 am

David wrote:Any way to tell or guess if some instrument IS using the MIDI buffer already? Besides, I would assume, any that already have a drag-MIDI-out function would do, yes?
MIDI drag'n'drop is obvious indicator, but developers don't have to use it. I think there are many instruments using it just to playback supplied midi loop library. Loading midi files is primary functionality, I guess.
Kontakt has one MIDI buffer per instrument, MIDI drop script clears that buffer when you start recording. However, if the instrument already has MIDI data, you can drag'n'drop it right away without recording.

David
KVRist

Post Sat Feb 11, 2017 9:35 am

Very helpful! Really appreciate this, and all your wonderful free and for sale devices, of which I own quite a few:)

Zombie Queen
KVRAF

Post Sun Feb 12, 2017 10:06 am

version 9e available,
changes:
- pattern sequencer, this part is a but fairly confusing, so here's some explanations...
... switch "show sequence" to see the pattern sequence programmer, it replaces accent cycle on display (I though it's better than growing the GUI),
... programming is straightforward, 2xA, 3xB etc,
... since it's not clear where is loop point in a pattern, "lead track" is introduced, it's one with "@" character on preview pad, end of interval cycle in lead track will switch the counter for pattern sequencer,
... the machine will automatically pick "lead track", choosing one with longest combined repeat and interval cycles, it will be calculated each time you switch a sound (empty track do not count), change interval sequence, repeat sequence or base duration,
... note, when you use predelay function to offset sequence on lead track, patterns will switch after playing the last note of lead track, which in this case will be delayed. If you programmed a track to close on a measure beginning and then delayed it, pattern loop point will be delayed too. In some cases you may want to select lead track manually - pick one which does not use predelay. To do so press sound preview pad (one of those where "@" appears), if you press it again the machine will automatically pick lead track again. Auto selector will prefer tracks with no predelay, when cycles are equal in length.
... switch "use pattern sequencer" and "start sequencer" to start sequencing patterns,
... when "auto rewind" is active, pattern sequencer will start from first pattern (when you start the sequencer, it will be loaded automatically), else it will start from selected pattern,
... you can select pattern to play next, switching pattern sequence indicator buttons have effect, you can switch those while sequencer is active, it will go to next selected pattern after finishing current step,
... if you program empty pattern in pattern sequencer (one with all sounds disabled), the step will be skipped, if there are only empty patterns, the sequencer will stop automatically,
... told you it would be a can of worms.

- load/save selected pattern to file, since there are switchable patterns it's a desirable option, you can load preprogrammed patterns in different slots and build a pattern sequence. I converted previous example patterns to pattern files, supplied in "rhythm assembler drum patterns" folder, which you would need to place somewhere and then point to the folder when loading/saving patterns,
- now we can trade patterns! hit me if you'd like to share.
- smarter way of programming sequences, setting a step in the middle of empty sequence, will not create an isolated step, which would never be played, but fills all empty previous steps with new values,
- added dropdown menus for selecting sounds in setup panel, these contain GM1 standard kit, I find it easier to program sounds this way,
- copy/paste functionality for track program, "copy cycles", "paste cycles" buttons, copies all three track sequences, predelay and base length, useful for cloning tracks (replaced accent function buttons with little use for).

to do list:
- sync/delay option for sequencer start (maybe),
- make sync/delay work when transport is off (in standalone) (probably),
- load/save whole pattern sequence to file (maybe),
- documentation, help hints, etc. (definitely)

DOWNLOAD LINK

I think, what's left to do is mostly cosmetic, but I don't know when I will be able to finish it, so I make this available as is. If you have questions, feature suggestions or found a bug, please post here.

ThomasHelzle
KVRAF
5027 posts since 9 Dec, 2008 from Berlin

Post Mon Feb 13, 2017 3:48 am

Cool - thanks for giving it a go. I'll see how it works out :-)

Cheers,

Tom
"Out beyond the ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing, there is a field. I’ll meet you there." - Rumi

ScreenDream|Thomas Helzle 8) Twitter

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”