Free Casa da Música Javanese Gamelan Sample Library by Digitopia

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Was looking for some free gamelan and stumbled upon this:

http://digitopia.github.io/CDM-GAMELAN-SAMPLE-LIBRARY/

Seems pretty big in size. The samples were provided in their original scale (pelog and slendro)

EDIT: Yes, it is free to use for commercial purpose. See 3rd post.
Last edited by shidostrife on Mon Feb 13, 2017 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My take is that it is acceptable to use in any work whatever your intentions, personal or commercial. Not that I find that clearly addressed, but it seems more that it is aimed at preventing purely commercial abuse of what is a free product,

The following paragraph in (posted in italics) is how I would interprete Artistic License 2.0 - I have no legal training and recommend that you take "Artistic License 2.0" to an appropriate legal advisor before you take any further action with anything that is covered by "Artistic License 2.0"
As a package you can modify and distribute your modified package for free or even charge a distribution fee, but the modified package must contain the same permissions as came with the original. So you could modify the package and then charge a distribution fee, however the recipient would also be able to modify that and give that away (and may also charge a distribution fee if they wish). All of these modifications and distributions must carry and are therefore covered by "Artistic License 2.0".
This is my personal interpretation and you should not assume that it is correct. Again please take legal advice before relying on my interpretation. I reserve the right to amend or delete this post.

Hi bob, thanks for your answer. It seems that Artistic License is more commonly used for software and not for sample library, so I asked the developer directly and this is their answer, both are direct quotes:
Dear Digitopia Team,

Good day for all of us. My name's Naufal from Indonesia.

I found this gamelan sample library you made:

http://digitopia.github.io/CDM-GAMELAN-SAMPLE-LIBRARY/

and it was licensed under Artistic License 2.0, but it seems to be a license regarding the software and I am not quite sure what is covered and not covered in the license regarding music, so I want to ask explicitly.

'Am I allowed to use the instruments (as is) in my music (both personal and commercial)?'
'Am I allowed to modify the instruments (say, tuning them to western scale) and use them in my music (both personal and commercial)?

Basically, I am not planning to modify or scavenge them to make another sample library. I just want to use them in my music and want to know if that is allowed.

Thank you in advance.

Best regards,
Naufal Rabbani
Hello Naufal,

Sorry for this wrong application of the license.

You can use in your music freely.
If possible please share our work for our friends and community.

Thank you for the interest in our work

All the best

José Alberto Gomes
So for everybody else reading this, yes, the library is free to use.

Good work Naufal, that explains why I couldn't find reference to actual usage of the samples in artistic works.

for anyone else struggling to find the whole package, DigitopiaCdM_Virtual_Gamelan.zip containing 3 nkm patches and the samples it is here;
https://github.com/Digitopia/CDM-GAMELA ... Y/releases

Hi folks,
I've used the samples kindly available from Casa Da Musica to create my own SFZ instrument definitions. I've made them available on my web site. You can get the details and download link from here:

Gamelan SFZ Instrument Definitions from Prodigal Sounds

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”