Pipe organs

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Thanks again for keeping the thread going with other cool suggestions. So far I've actually been enjoying a couple of the free ones linked on the Bigcat site. Eventually I will probably buy one of the others mentioned in this thread, but for now those are giving me something to work with. I also found another free Kontakt instrument called Leeds Town Hall Organ. It only has I think 5 or 6 settings but the overall sound is good especially if you're looking for some quick-and-dirty Hans Zimmer Interstellar emulation ;)

goldenhelix wrote:Thanks again for keeping the thread going with other cool suggestions. So far I've actually been enjoying a couple of the free ones linked on the Bigcat site. Eventually I will probably buy one of the others mentioned in this thread, but for now those are giving me something to work with. I also found another free Kontakt instrument called Leeds Town Hall Organ. It only has I think 5 or 6 settings but the overall sound is goodespecially if you're looking for some quick-and-dirty Hans Zimmer Interstellar emulation ;)
Ok, well, if that's what you're looking for, then you should definitely check out ToonTrack's offering.

No no, that's not really what I'm looking for. I want something much more flexible than that. I'm just saying that particular free one does that one sound fairly well. ;)

Also, whoever it was that recommended Notre Dam de Budapest... can you give me a better explanation than the web site what the difference is between "Looped" and "Full"? In the feature comparisons, there appears to be no difference, but one costs about twice as much.

fmr wrote:so I'll leave the rest of your sarcasm without answer, because you clearly don't care about Pipe Organs, either... :roll:
What incredible arrogance! You do not know the reviewer (who obviously is me) and are in no position to assert just what it is that I "clearly don't care about". I will tell you that this article was reviewed prior to publication by a friend of mine who did not spot the typo either. He happens to be one of the most highly respected organists in the state of California (as evidenced by the fact that he holds what is probably one of the ten most prestigious church gigs in the entire state). Are also going to assert that he clearly cares nothing about pipe organs either? That must be the case, since he didn't spot the misspelling.

Yes, "Viol" was misspelled the same way twice, misspelled in exactly the same way it appeared on the Spitfire site: "Voil". Did you ever hear of copy and paste?

As I said, you are incredibly arrogant, and actually quite rude, by suggesting someone is either poorly informed or an outright phony due to the presence of a misspelled word, one that would not have been flagged by an English-language spell checker, in something they wrote. Please keep such unwarranted speculation to yourself in the future.

Not that I want to perpetuate this argument, but I found it interesting that in the free library "Bureu Organ", they also have "Voil C 8" as one of the stops. Apparently this is an easy mistake to make / miss.

goldenhelix wrote:Not that I want to perpetuate this argument, but I found it interesting that in the free library "Bureu Organ", they also have "Voil C 8" as one of the stops. Apparently this is an easy mistake to make / miss.
And ... voilà ... vindication! :D

goldenhelix wrote:No no, that's not really what I'm looking for. I want something much more flexible than that. I'm just saying that particular free one does that one sound fairly well. ;)
Sure, but, to be clear, I think for that purpose, the ToonTrack library is pretty special. I also have the freebie that you're talking about and I don't think that it compares at all.

For me, it was DIRT cheap, and I mean DIRT cheap. You have to keep your eye out for ToonTrack sales though. The way to work is when they are offering a free expansion with the purchase of any of the EZkeys product line. There have been several opportunities to purchase one of their pianos for on the order of a few pizzas.

I'm just saying keep your eye out because if you have any interest in pipe organs in non-classic contexts, then I think that the ToonTrack product will add some flavors that are worthwhile.

dmbaer wrote:
goldenhelix wrote:Not that I want to perpetuate this argument, but I found it interesting that in the free library "Bureu Organ", they also have "Voil C 8" as one of the stops. Apparently this is an easy mistake to make / miss.
OK, sorry if I sounded arrogant, but the post I answered to sounded arrogant to me too. Mistake explained. It seems that these mistakes happen mainly because people don't know other languages besides english. Like writing "Bureu" instead of "Bureau". The Big Cat instruments is named "Bureau Organ" but in the blog post they wrote "Bureu" (and I am seeing "Bureu" written in many other posts).

Maybe english speaking people should start to pay a little more attention to the meaning of the words in other languages, when they appear. :shrug:
Fernando (FMR)

ghettosynth wrote:
goldenhelix wrote:No no, that's not really what I'm looking for. I want something much more flexible than that. I'm just saying that particular free one does that one sound fairly well. ;)
Sure, but, to be clear, I think for that purpose, the ToonTrack library is pretty special. I also have the freebie that you're talking about and I don't think that it compares at all.

For me, it was DIRT cheap, and I mean DIRT cheap. You have to keep your eye out for ToonTrack sales though. The way to work is when they are offering a free expansion with the purchase of any of the EZkeys product line. There have been several opportunities to purchase one of their pianos for on the order of a few pizzas.

I'm just saying keep your eye out because if you have any interest in pipe organs in non-classic contexts, then I think that the ToonTrack product will add some flavors that are worthwhile.
Oh yeah, the Toontrack organ definitely sounds better, without a doubt. I wouldn't say the Leeds organ is a perfect emulation of that particular sound, either, I just found it easy to bang out what sounded like a typical Zimmer-type track with it. It's a pretty limited product, but the price is right, as they say :)

I guess it might help to qualify that when it comes to organ music, my favorite composer is Franck and also have an interest in more "avant garde" composers like Hindemith. Not saying I want to do exactly those kinds of music, or that I am looking for any one particular thing, but I am just mentioning it to give a little context.

I will absolutely keep my eye out for a ToonTrack sale!

fmr wrote:
dmbaer wrote:
OK, sorry if I sounded arrogant, but the post I answered to sounded arrogant to me too. Mistake explained. It seems that these mistakes happen mainly because people don't know other languages besides english. Like writing "Bureu" instead of "Bureau". The Big Cat instruments is named "Bureau Organ" but in the blog post they wrote "Bureu" (and I am seeing "Bureu" written in many other posts).

Maybe english speaking people should start to pay a little more attention to the meaning of the words in other languages, when they appear. :shrug:
Actually, when you load the instrument into Kontakt, it says "Bureu".

Again, I think you're attempting to presume qualities or motivations (or lack thereof) in other people a bit too much. I'm not going to call you arrogant, but if I had your apparent tendencies, I probably would :)

I speak 4 languages and when I see "bureu", of course I think "hmm, should that be 'bureau'?" but the instrument appears to be called 'Bureu" so at what point do I actually bother to research and find out what the correct name is. For all I know "Bureu" is the name of a place and it has nothing to do with the word "bureau", despite obvious similarities. I don't exactly go fact-check every single thing that crosses my path. Instrument name in Kontakt is "Bureu" so that's what I called it.

Of course you can walk through life always assuming the worst of people just for misspelling a word. How's that working out for you so far?

EDIT: to make your assumptions all the more comical, if you actually bothered to do the research, as I just did, the actual name is "Bureå", which is a church in Sweden and has nothing to do with the word "bureau". If that doesn't make you re-evaluate your knee-jerk judgmental attitude, I don't know what will.

PS. "Bureau" is also a word in English, so your grand unified theory of English Speaker Ignorance doesn't really hold water in this case.

If you are expecting currekt spulling from old bigcat you are in for a rude awakening. Actually if memory servers the wonderful Matt McKay who did the interface on the church organ spelled it one way and I spelled it another and we never really did get it straight. Just don't blame the great sampler Lars Palo as he is a pro organist and knows how to pronounce, spell and play any organ on any setting. Sounds pretty good to me and a great interface for a misspelled organ and the price to quality ratio ain't too bad.

bigcat1969 wrote:If you are expecting currekt spulling from old bigcat you are in for a rude awakening. Actually if memory servers the wonderful Matt McKay who did the interface on the church organ spelled it one way and I spelled it another and we never really did get it straight. Just don't blame the great sampler Lars Palo as he is a pro organist and knows how to pronounce, spell and play any organ on any setting. Sounds pretty good to me and a great interface for a misspelled organ and the price to quality ratio ain't too bad.
:clap: I've really been loving this particular organ. The others on your site are good as well but the Bureu/Bureå/whateveryoucallit organ is the best free organ I've found, by far. Thanks for helping make it available!

Thanks for the kind words. Glad you are enjoying it. With Lars doing the sampling and Matt doing the interface, I'm having trouble remembering what I actually did do on that organ!

You brought it to the world, huge feline.

bigcat1969 wrote: Sounds pretty good to me and a great interface for a misspelled organ and the price to quality ratio ain't too bad.
It is, and in any case, I got my wires crossed, I was referring to the Leeds Town Hall Organ, which I also didn't mean to imply sounded bad. I was simply trying to say that I very much prefer the sound of the EZKeys product largely because of the sound of the room/church that it's recorded in prevents it from being so obviously "churchy" as well as I think that the patch choices in the EZKeys product is much more usable for in a more popular context, neither are very flexible. The WavesFactory free 1850 pipe organ is even less flexible and less interesting to me. It's so grandiose and has this huge decay that just wears me out.

I might have downloaded the BigCat organs, I might not have. It was a few months back and I remember being pretty happy with the EZKeys product for what I was looking for, which, to be clear, is never to sound like a choir should bust out at any moment.

Looking at my Kontakt organs folder, it appears I did not try the BigCat free organs. I'll have to add them to my folder.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”