Hardware vs software for drum triggers

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Is it your opinion that Kontakt on a Mac would not trigger drum samples just as fast as the hardware drum module that comes with the Alesis Spark edrumkit?

"Kontakt on a Mac" isn't really enough information.
If it's a very well setup machine with low enough latency achievable (which is a complex and subtle issue owing to how well it is responsive in real time which is hard to know), well, know this, that there's a little bit of latency with that hardware in all likelihood.

If your input method for MIDI is a keyboard, well that's not the best for drums, nor are pad controllers.

This being said, those of use who need a whole_lot_more drums than is contained in a single box like that will use software drum libraries and a DAW and put up with a less-than-perfect situation probably. I don't use Kontakt for this, but that's another issue.

yinbell wrote:Is it your opinion that Kontakt on a Mac would not trigger drum samples just as fast as the hardware drum module that comes with the Alesis Spark edrumkit?
What is the Spark edrumkit? Nothing came up for it on google. Anyway if it's a hardware module it's likely to be pretty low latency.

I use triggers with software at 64 sample buffer (around 1.5ms latency) and it's pretty good. Using an RME PCIe card. It does use a lot of CPU running with a buffer size this low. I tend to run a standalone version of the software (BFD) set to a lower buffer size alongside the DAW, so that the entire DAW project doesn't have to run at the lower buffer size. Anyway, test if it's possible to get reliable performance at a buffer size this low with your setup (reliable performance = solid playback without clicks/pops) and if not maybe post what your hardware is and someone might be able to suggest improvements. You can use any software to test - it doesn't have to be Kontakt if you don't have it. Any software should respond the same.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”