In Session Audio Fluid Series and Riff Generation

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Seems some things just overlapped :lol:

Musical gym
Tatanka, is poly limit a problem for you with RG?
No, but I really dont use it for chords (I use the midi pattern generator in waveform for this), it is mainly intended for some "riffs", the bassline, some additional melody lines and such stuff.

Evil Dragon
Might I divert your attention to the Mode, Key and Scale knobs, which you should be able to use to great effect to make your riff follow the chord progression you have.

When locking to scale, no matter which root note you play, the riff will use only the notes that are legitimate in the scale and key that is selected, so no out-of-scale keys (and this is displayed on the virtual keyboard: blue are the legitimate keys, purple are the out of scale keys, scale root is cyan, your current playing key is green). You have a variety of options on what to do with notes that are out of scale - either play nothing, or just play the root (=the out of scale note in this case), or root and octaves (basically just the steps that have 0, 12, -12 for pitch). The "Pattern plays verbatim" modes are your usual dumb sequence transposition from the years of yore. So, it just adds an offset to the pitches played, so out of scale notes are possible. If you used C major, playing G# will play G# major, provided you set the scale to chromatic - then you have exactly the same behaviour as on most sequencers out there (plain transposition).

You can automate these parameters in order to make RG follow your chord progression (yes, you can automate the scale as well, it's a combined dropdown menu + slider thing, and all these parameters are already assigned for you to automate in your host.
Thanks for this, but I am afraid I did not really understand completely:
- I use the scale/root note and the mode setting to "only scale notes"

- but how can I automate these parameters to follow the chord progression when Riff Generation only takes the first note and then generates 3 bars (if I choose 4 beats setting) from this one incoming note like I have described in my second post ?

Any short advice how to do would be really appreciated, that would be really wonderful if you could help me to overcome this last "barrier" :o

tatanka wrote:Seems some things just overlapped :lol:

Musical gym
Tatanka, is poly limit a problem for you with RG?
No, but I really dont use it for chords (I use the midi pattern generator in waveform for this), it is mainly intended for some "riffs", the bassline, some additional melody lines and such stuff.
Thanks, I thought you mentioned you could use it for full songs.

tatanka wrote:- but how can I automate these parameters to follow the chord progression when Riff Generation only takes the first note and then generates 3 bars (if I choose 4 beats setting) from this one incoming note like I have described in my second post ?
If Retrigger button is off, if you play new input notes legato (as opposed to lifting a key then playing a new one, overlap them!), the riff will continue and not restart from scratch, so this is how you can change the root note of your riff, and you can adjust key/scale/play mode if necessary via automation.
Last edited by EvilDragon on Wed Sep 27, 2017 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

Musical gym
Thanks, I thought you mentioned you could use it for full songs
I am just at the beginning of songwriting adventure with this :D

Whats next on my list is to just use some instances of Riff Generation only parallel (bass, riff, melody) and see what happens then. Not sure if you really need traditional "chords" this way. Maybe try to "drive" by just setting some starting notes in piano roll for the beginning of the riff (so for a 12 beat/3 bar riff only evry 3 bar etc.).

And I am hoping for some enlightment :hail: from Evil Dragon in case of chordprogression following with longer riffs. Really at the beginning right now :D

Evil Dragon
If Retrigger button is off, if you play new notes legato, the riff will continue and not restart from scratch, so this is how you can change the root note of your riff, and you can adjust key/scale/play mode if necessary via automation.
O.k., thanks a lot, I will try this out. Will it work with exisiting midi track (what do you mean with "play new notes legato", I dont use midi keyboard usually but only piano roll) ?

So if on bar one there is the note "C" as root note from Cmajor and on bar two is the note "G" from Gmajor and I have chosen C as root note and major as scale and mode to "play only scale notes" a 8 beat/2bar riff will CHANGE root note on the second bar from "C" to "G" and continuing playing the riff ? That would be absolutely great and all problems solved :D . Sadly I am on work right now and can try out directly, but as soon as I am back from work....

Legato means overlapping notes. So just make the previous note longer and make it end slightly after the start of next note.

Thanks a lot Evil Dragon,

I think I just have to try it out this evening and see what happens. Hope I can be back in here if I still dont get it :oops:

Hi Evil Dragon,

just to be sure I understand correctly, does this simple picture reproduce what you mean ?
legato.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Musical Gym wrote: ...Also, can we get more scales for it in a future update? I can provide real world example(s) if needed in Kontakt.
Custom ones would be awesome, of course.
But would definitely appreciate some more scales in a future update!

tatanka wrote:Hi Evil Dragon,

just to be sure I understand correctly, does this simple picture reproduce what you mean ?
Yes. Except of course, in case of RG, you only use one note, not a chord.
nordickvr wrote:
Musical Gym wrote: ...Also, can we get more scales for it in a future update? I can provide real world example(s) if needed in Kontakt.
Custom ones would be awesome, of course.
But would definitely appreciate some more scales in a future update!
This is not so easy as you might think. For each scale, we needed to do 12 variants so that things round correctly no matter which key you play. So adding user scales is off the table, for sure, since it's not as simple as adding 12 values - you need to add 144 ;) We really thought hard about which scales would be the most useful and most used, and just went with them. I won't say adding more scales won't happen, but it's not likely, as far as I'm concerned :)

Fair enough.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

EvilDragon you just made my day :party: :party: :party: :tu: :tu: :tu:

It works, unbelievable, with this riff following the chords its just magic....

Cant even imagine HOW you made it but it works :D :D :D :D :D

I can put you in touch with this dev in order to add more scales if you want.
I think the more available, the better.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Is it possible to save and load custom phrases in Riff Generation?
I may have missed facility to do this.
I guess I would need to save .nka or snapshot to achieve?

Does Fluid Strike have exact same Triple Play Engine as Fluid Harmonics?
Are the Synth sounds in both libraries the same sounds?

All Fluid products have the same engine. I think some of the synth sounds are indeed the same (to have some common foundation for layering between products).

Regarding saving/loading phrases, that's not possible directly, only via snapshots. Do take note that due to the complexity of the instrument and sheer number of controls, switching snapshots will take a few seconds...

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”