Which drum sampler VST supports Program Change or Keyswitches?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hello!

I am looking for a drum sampler plugin, which lets me change sounds or drumkits using porgram change or keyswitches. The idea is to automate the change of a kit from within Cubase in a live situation.

IMPORTANT: Appearently this does not work with TX16Wx, although the programmer assured me, that program change is functioning.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
All the best.

Roger

pljones and I talked about doing something like this for switching between brushes, sticks, and brush on snare and sticks on toms and/or cymbals, and even brush rings on cymbals. It'd be doable quite easily with SFZ via keyswitches or MIDI CC ranges. Kontakt could do it also, and I would guess HISE, too. In general, "regular" samplers can do this, but those are more work to set up than drum-specific sampler plugins.

Hello DSmolken!

Thanks for your reply and your suggestions. I wasn´t even going that far...I just need to change the whole kit, preferibly via Keyswitches or Program Change. Appearently Cubase seems to have issues with Program Change, I found several plugins not changing programs using that message, so I guess, I´ll have to rely on keyswitches. I don´t have Kontakt, and I don´t see purchasing it any time soon, it´s way too pricey. Btw, Battery 3 does not the job either...

Hopefully there are more suggestions to come.
All the best.

Roger

It's such a shame this is so poorly supported. I've ended up using sample banks in Ableton for the same purpose, but it's a shonky and inefficient way to do it..

Other suggestions welcome! NI please step up and add this to Battery...

As I've recently learned, SFZ does support program changes: http://www.sfzformat.com/index.php?title=Loprog/hiprog

A lot of stuff in the SFZ spec, like program changes and aftertouch, feels like things that were commonly used back in the 90s and kind of faded away, but they're still there and still work in Sforzando.

Not program change exactly, but In Geist 2 you can map MIDI CC to the cursor icons that select different presets or samples. :shrug:
I read more than post = I listen more than I talk

Interesting. So sforzando can use program change to switch sounds?

Can you define a list of presets to switch between?

Also thanks, will check out Geist 2

Yeah, you can use program change if you use the loprog and hiprog, and also use the snapshot function to save presets. You'll need the drums mapped in SFZ and you'll need to add the appropriate loprog/hiprog opcodes to the drum mappings somewhere. You'd have to see how the loading time and disk streaming go, especially if you need to quickly switch on the fly during live performances.

With big, detailed kits, switching on the fly and suddenly trying to use gigabytes of different data than you were using a few seconds ago... that's always gonna be the big challenge regardless of the software. With something like hip-hop kits made up of one-shots, that shouldn't be a problem though.

BFD3 is supposed to; create an entry in the program change "playlist", dropdown shows all my presets (a kit plus its mixer and all settings), add a preset but I haven't gotten anything to happen. The manual mentions hardware switches, I'm just writing numbers in the list editor and playback through the spot. I don't know from PC, I've never relied on it for anything.

DSmolken wrote: Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:03 pm
With big, detailed kits, switching on the fly and suddenly trying to use gigabytes of different data than you were using a few seconds ago...
:scared:, yeah

how are we doing on that front? also looking for samplers that support program change

docbot wrote: Thu Oct 08, 2020 6:32 pm how are we doing on that front? also looking for samplers that support program change
Well, nothing special: Every of the big known samplers understands "program changes":
Steinberg Halion, NI Kontakt, Plogue Sforzando and also TX16W.

For TX16W just look here. :wink:
free mp3s + info: andy-enroe.de songs + weird stuff: enroe.de

Nice! I wasn't aware that Kontakt can do this. I tried TX16W but couldn't really get it to work (but most likely my fault) :)

Halion looks interesting, but I once tried the demo and it was a huge PITA to get it to work because of it's copyright scheme.

None of these really did it for me 'cos they're built for instruments not drums...

Don’t quote me on this but I believe Groove Agent 5 can do this. It’s on sale for $85 at the moment too.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”