How do you use Sampler in Ableton Live 10 Suite?

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

I just finished my free trial, so I don't really have access to a hands on experience, but I'm wondering if anyone can explain. What does Sampler do?

Thank you for any information. I tried searching the ableton knowledge base and putting a thread on their forum without desirable results. More specifically, I asked what the Templates within Sampler do.

:party:

bump

I use Sampler mainly for building instruments from my samples (stuff I recorded myself). It does what samplers do ... :)

I guess I don't know what samplers do. I've never used it before. Do you record, like, with a microphone to create a sample?

If you mean "what does it do that I can't do with Simpler...?" then I'd say it gives you a lot more modulation sources and targets, frequency modulation, velocity layers, various syncing types for envelopes, and easy conversion back to Simpler if you decide different slicing options are more appropriate amongst others.

Although admittedly, it would be nice if they added the new simpler options from 9.5 to Sampler too.

You don't record into it but you can just record audio on another track, create new midi track, drag audio to the instrument space to create a simpler, right click header, select "simpler>sampler", so not really more than a few seconds work.

Incomplete list of my gear: 1/8" audio input jack.

I found this video somewhat enlightening...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgpZWVFdoWQ

spendthrift2 wrote:I guess I don't know what samplers do. I've never used it before. Do you record, like, with a microphone to create a sample?
...dude is literally asking "what is a Sampler"

if you're smart enough to make an account and post here, you're smart enough to google Samplers and figure out what they're for :tu:

spendthrift2 wrote:I guess I don't know what samplers do. I've never used it before. Do you record, like, with a microphone to create a sample?
You can do that, or record any other way ... doesn't matter. Abletons Sampler can load most formats (wav, mp3, etc).

thecontrolcentre wrote:
You can do that, or record any other way ... doesn't matter. Abletons Sampler can load most formats (wav, mp3, etc).
Thank you! This in addition to, believe it or not, the Ferris Bueller video helped me to determine how to use sampler. I will have to fool around with the Templates and see what they are good for. It's possible that I wouldn't even use them, but I was curious so I thought I'd ask.

Thanks everyone! :phones:

Samplers are devices that play back any sort of prerecorded audio like .wav files.

Somewhat unrelated: I can't believe the sampler in Live still doesn't read loop points from files. It was a very basic must have feature like 30 years ago already.

Found an example I liked.

I don't know if this would be simpler or sampler. I'd have to review my notes. She uses a sample of herself singing "down" to create a melody for the chorus. I've queued the song to a place where its easy to see what I'm talking about in case anyone is curious.

I only wish I knew whether it were more of a sampler or more of a simpler...
The video below didn't take the queue that I embedded but the link here does.
:arrow: https://youtu.be/DpMfP6qUSBo?t=2m19s

You can do that with Live's Sampler or Simpler or indeed any other sampler.

thecontrolcentre wrote:You can do that with Live's Sampler or Simpler or indeed any other sampler.
Thanks!

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”