Frankensnare - huge, monstrous, organic and alive

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Frankensnare

https://www.karoryfer.com/karoryfer-sam ... ankensnare

Frankensnare lets you be like dr. Viktor Frankenstein, only with acoustic snare drum samples instead of human corpses. Put together their best parts to create your own monster. I got annoyed with how layering one-shot snares is easy, but layering well-sampled acoustic snares with round robins and dynamic layers is kind of a pain, and went about solving that problem. Along the way I ended up taping a bunch of wrenches to the top of a huge floor tom, talking somebody into recording a kick surrounded by six sympathetically buzzing snares, and so on.

$9 intro price until December 6th, $19 full price afterwards.

Walkthroughs:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XeuQCrH9BMk

https://youtu.be/wzqzhawARAk

DSmolken, your sense of humour alone is worth the price.

Truly awesome.

Thanks, y'all!

One of our beta testers said I have a personality and should show it off more, so this is what you get. I'm the kind of person who'd say things like "only with snare drum samples instead of human corpses" in real life, and mean it, too.

i'll wait until dec 6. you deserve the full price anyway

sleepcircle wrote: Sat Nov 24, 2018 4:06 am i'll wait until dec 6. you deserve the full price anyway
Dec 7th - the 6th, the intro price is still active. But if you're impatient, you could always buy two licenses.

I'm not at all into layered snares, but

taping a bunch of wrenches to the top of a huge floor tom, talking somebody into recording a kick surrounded by six sympathetically buzzing snares

is ridiculous in the good way

It is! More effort's gone into those than it would seem, too. Figuring out what to put on the tom and how loose to leave the tape to maximize the buzz took about a half hour, but maximizing the sympathetic buzz turned was really interesting. I tried to do that myself with six snares later, and it was disappointingly non-snarey with relatively little buzz. So I asked the guy who did the recordings we used here how he did it, and it turned out he first found a frequency which made the kick resonate, then let that play on a synth while retuning each of the six snares to maximize the buzz. Then he redid it for the other kick.

I need to put a good picture of the sympathy snares somewhere, but this is how the wrench-bedecked tom looked:

Also this is the half-disassembled 20" snare with its wires and a cajon's snare block laid on top. This was just a "what else can we milk out of this beast before we send it back, let's record it in every possible way" thing, and it worked surprisingly well:

What's this Sforzando thing? Why not Kontakt? Regardless, It does look interesting.

enjoying this one a lot - running riffer on multiple tracks into Frankensnare is lot of fun and even very musical ( for someone like me).

an-electric-heart wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:17 am What's this Sforzando thing? Why not Kontakt?
Fair question. Sforzando is free, which is why I started out using it for free instruments (free instruments that work in a free sampler are accessible to more users), and I'm sticking with it for commercial releases mostly due to familiarity. I'd rather write a big config file than a complex script, maybe because I've been a sysadmin in the real world more than I've been a developer.

Tod from SM Drums did a Kontakt port of our Swirly Drums which might have boosted sales slightly, but apparently not by a ton, so I'm holding out, at least for now.
woggle wrote: Wed Nov 28, 2018 8:28 am enjoying this one a lot - running riffer on multiple tracks into Frankensnare is lot of fun and even very musical ( for someone like me).
One thing about this instrument - how people use it has already surprised me more than once. One used it for fife and drum corps music, another turned up the tune to max on at least one layer every time he used it (so I might extend the tuning range in a future update), and another skipped all the layering and always just used a single unlayered snare for a more traditional sound.

Intro price on Frankensnare is in effect until December 6th, but let's make things more interesting. At this point, I'm running sales more to learn how effective running sales is than I am to try to make more money.

Dec 4-6th, Swirly Drums and Secret Agent Guitar will also be $14 each ($29 and $39 are their regular prices). Get them all at https://www.karoryfer.com/karoryfer-samples

Really creative library!

Is that specific room reverberation baked into all of the samples, though? Or is it a mic position that can be dialed back? Just curious; it's not oppressive or anything, and could undoubtedly be tamed by release envelope or transient controller.

You're the not the first person to ask about the room sound, actually.

It's not baked into all samples - the close mics and guitar chiks are quite dry, and the sympathy snares were recorded in another room on another continent - but it is in the overheads for most of the snares, and all the claps. But it is the same room and similar overheads distance in most of it, and it gets really huge with the overheads (or claps) transposed an octave down. You can tame it by either turning the whoosh faders down, or turning up the tighten knob, which applies an envelope.

i'm relieved he didn't used kontakt, honestly.

i never would've bought Secret Agent Guitar, if he had, because it invariably would've been a release which was NOT compatible with the free kontakt player, which means i would've had to shell out a billion dollars just to use the instrument, which I would not have done.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”