Arturia Analog Lab 3 Pianos

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

In The Mix wrote: Sat Feb 09, 2019 6:51 am Just like real physical acoustic pianos, both modeled and sampled based piano libraries come in different shapes, sizes, tonal character, pedal behavior, mic options, unacorda, release noises, ...etc....etc...etc. Analog Lab3 is not a piano specific program. It's a general purpose synth with some basic piano sounds. Totally playable and usable as I've personally provided some evidence in post #1 myself. However, it's a very digital sounding piano with limited controls over parameters, which is ok for what it is. Compare this to ...say Pianoteq and hopefully you'll be able to hear the difference. That is to be expected, as Pianoteq is a piano specific program focusing on one thing only.

None of this means anything, if you don't have experience or enough experience with REAL pianos. If you're not a pianist, or haven't had that intimate experience with the instrument, none of this will make sense to you. It's not something you can learn by reading a post or two.
I am no big expert on pianos, but to sum up the above, with real pianos you sort of get what you pay for (unless you are buying something because of it's visuals). So your entry level $5000 Yamaha will sound a whole lot different than a $30,000 Bechstein.

I am a string instrument (guitar player) and my belief is you can't really achieve all the sonic and physical quality results of acoustic instruments with VSTs and digital. So you need to sort of work with the aesthetic qualities and limitations (and in some cases advantages) of digital. You will never achieve something like below in VSTs. It would take you a ridiculously huge amount of time wasted and you will be no where closer than where you started while Lindley would have gotten another year older and toured three times around the world.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLq9HgGP8G8

Incidentally, I went to see Olafur live last night. I am not a big fan, but my other half is so .. anyways, that's an interesting guy and performance. So he uses two real pianos in sync hooked up to some sort of midi arpeggiator thiny because I guess he can't achieve the same results with VSTs and delays. It sounds impressive live. But he's a far cry from a Alfred Brendel or Horowitz.
🌐 Spotify 🔵 Soundcloud 🌀 Soundclick

Gear & Setup: Windows 10, Dual Xeon, 32GB RAM, Cubase 10.5/9.5, NI Komplete Audio 6, NI Maschine, NI Jam, NI Kontakt

My Guitars and ethnic strings instruments are never convincing. I mean i can kind of make them work within an ensemble/orchestration but exposed solo parts I'm never happy with. Of course a good library helps a lot, but so is personal experience with instrument techniques. Nothing beats the real instrument.

2 Analog Lab 3 Suitcase EPs - 'Gorgeous' and 'Suitcase Vibrato' presets:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bx1Ll6q3XoY

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”