Big Rusty Drums - exactly what it says, and only $39

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS
Big Rusty Drums

One week of intro pricing left, and then those who insist I deserve full price can have their turn.

Will also start recording that bass soon - got the strings on it now, one high fret might need to be taken care of still.

why did you choose to ptovide them as 16bit samples? Seems to be a quite strange choice these days.

best

Mostly cause it cuts loading time in half. Once everything's all edited and finalized, it gets converted to 16 in the final step of the batch processing.

i don't suppose there could be an HD option, for masochists, could there?

but either way, just so long as it's properly dithered, it's not a huge deal.

Yeah, I'll probably do 32 bits (or both) if I ever sample an electronic instrument with a low noise floor or bowed strings with wide dynamics, but with drums recorded in what's basically a home studio it doesn't seem to have any audible benefit to use the pre-conversion files, even with the cymbals with loooong decay tails.

I'm going to record another drum kit soonish, because I have the opportunity to borrow an unusual drum. So, I have a question for those who bought this and are using it. How useful are all the little misc. noises, like the pedal return squeaks, and also the rim clicks? Wondering if I should do that again, maybe even more (also do drum stool squeaks and stuff like that), or let that go this time.

This kit also got a nice writeup in a Polish magazine: https://estradaistudio.pl/mieszanka/306 ... usty-drums

I say leave them in, perhaps add more. Those little sounds are part of the dna your plugins share. If it were all clean and sterile then it would be a bit boring. Thats my opinion anyway--

I really appreciate the extra noises. One of the things that drew me to your instruments originally was your playful approach to sampling, like including percussion sounds in your free saxophone and cello instruments. Having those little extra bits means that I'll sometimes load up Big Rusty Drums even if I'm looking for something that's not quite a drum kit, but has a recognizably "real" acoustic quality to it. I say keep them!

Yeah, the more odd noises the better I think! I'm loving Big Rusty Drums and I'd definitely pick up another library along similar lo-fi, unusual lines. Really great to have stuff like this in the arsenal alongside the more polished stuff.

I used Big Rusty on a song that I submitted to the latest contest over on songfight.org btw: http://www.songfight.org/music/dream_cr ... ton_dc.mp3

First, that's a cool song, and a great example of something where these drums are very much the right sort of drums. Hope victory will be yours! Can I send a link to that to people, post it on the Karoryfer Twitter etc?

As for the next drum kit, OK, it'll get plenty of extra noises. I do like the rim clicks a lot, but I was not so sure about the rest. This kit's gonna take a while to actually release, as I want to do the matching bass for Secret Agent Guitar, and then got a few other things in the pipeline already, but as I'll have a chance to borrow a drum and record it, might as well build a whole kit around it and record it while I can. Sure, the recordings will sit around for a while before I can get around to editing them, but... they'll have clicks! Might even do rim clicks closer to the tip of the stick and farther for each drum, as there's a pretty big difference in tone.

Thanks! I was planning to go for a stripped down live sound but then got carried away with the backing vocals. If you'd like to share it, you are very welcome to do so!

Also +1 for the noises, makes the sound more interesting and helps adding facets.

best

OK, I'll do more noises, but probably not as many cymbals this time. Cymbals take hours to record. Better to let the scope creep in directions that will at least be faster to record, heh.

Please in SFZ v.1 format this time for better compatibility with non-Sforzando SFZ samplers.
🙂👍🏼
C/R, dongles & other intrusive copy protection equals less-control & more-hassle for consumers. Company gone-can’t authorize. Limit to # of auths. Instability-ie PACE. Forced internet auths. THE HONEST ARE HASSLED, NOT THE PIRATES.

Yeah, I'll try that once. Probably either with these new drums, or with the matching bass for Secret Agent Guitar. Mostly depends on which will be easier to deal with with only SFZ 1 opcodes, cause I'm practical.

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”