Ultimate Guitar Kit -- now available for free download

Sampler and Sampling discussion (techniques, tips and tricks, etc.)
RELATED
PRODUCTS

geoffkhan wrote: I haven't put the slides in the smooth lead guitar yet, but I think I'll upload it anyways (maybe Spe3D can mirror it again for me, too), because as of now it's just sitting around. Yes, sitting around when you guys could be making beautiful music with it.
Hi! geoffkhan,

Many thanks, I uploaded the second version and placed it alongside version 1 :)

http://audioshots.com/auditorium/viewtopic.php?p=2200

Best regards,

Peter

Ok I'm confused,where can I find the link. If anyone would be so kind as to post it, please

Herb wrote:Ok I'm confused,where can I find the link. If anyone would be so kind as to post it, please
http://audioshots.com/auditorium/viewtopic.php?p=2200

If I may ask, what is the difference between the first and second kit? I'm going to download both, but I'm just curious. Thanks for these Geoff. I'll be emailing you again soon with info for the things you wanted.

Koolkeys

Oh, the second kit is the first kit plus some additions. So don't bother downloading the first one.

In the second version this is what I addded:

- Lead Guitar Slides
- Chord Guitar (great for strumming and broken chord patterns)
- Smooth Guitar (good for jazz and ballad stuff)

What I have yet to do:

- Add slides for smooth guitar patch
- Looping! (if you noticed, some of the samples aren't looped yet, but you probably haven't run into that since the samples are so long)

One of the most impressive (expressive) soundfonts available; thanks again!

geoffkhan wrote:- Looping! (if you noticed, some of the samples aren't looped yet, but you probably haven't run into that since the samples are so long)
I'm personally for unlooped samples on real instruments, provided they're long enough. It encourages the composer to remain in the confines of the instrument! A note can always be restruck to extend the length of a hold.

- m
Markleford's band, The James Rocket: http://www.TheJamesRocket.com/
Markleford's tracks: http://www.markleford.com/music/
Markleford's free MFX, DXi2, DR-008 modules: http://www.TenCrazy.com/

The 2nd version is even better :o

What's a good free amp sim? I remember when Green Amp II was free... no idea what happened, but it seems to be around $89.00 now.

Interesting bug:

In sfz, the end-of-note little slide-downs happen at the BEGINNING of the note, rather than once the note is released, causing something of a strange sound, and leaving no tail at the end. Still usable, though.

In Fruity Soundfont Player, the tail plays as it should, at the end. Odd, eh?

Rellik wrote:The 2nd version is even better :o

What's a good free amp sim? I remember when Green Amp II was free... no idea what happened, but it seems to be around $89.00 now.
I use (and love) JCM900 from simulanalog. It's mono (um, one speaker give you a mono source, right?) but I bung effects after it (stereo chorus, maybe ping-pong delay... mm, both from Kjaerhus Audio's unbeatable Classic series of free effects).

Um, this example is really bad - my MIDI keyboard's at the back of my desk and I'm stretching over my computer keyboard, my FCB1010 is propped up at a dodgy angle making any fine control of the effects impossible. And I can't play guitar (or keyboard that well)...
http://www.drealm.info/mp3/abit.m3u
But it still sounds fantastic.
Last edited by pljones on Sat Mar 26, 2005 12:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rellik wrote:The 2nd version is even better :o

Oh dang, I forgot to put the readme file in the zip for the second version. Well, rather than letting you re-download it, I'll just paste the text from the readme file here:

Ultimate Guitar Kit

Overview:
The purpose of this guitar is to provide an excellent "base" sound for a guitar. It is meant to work in conjunction with effects, so never use it by itself. The guitar was recorded DI (direct input), with absolutely nothing applied to it afterwards.

Guitar details:
The guitar used is a Fender Squier Affinity Stratocaster. The guitar body is made of Alder with a Maple neck and a Rosewood fingerboard. The Strat has 3 single-coil pickups, but the samples were recorded with it using the bridge pickup. The strings used are Fender Super 250L (.009-.042), which are nickel-plated steel.

Sample info:
Everything was sampled in 44.1 kHz, 16-bit, monotone. This does not mean you are limited to effects of the same sound quality; in fact, for best results use 96 kHz, 24-bit, stereo.

Recommended effects:
Cortex (free) - Great distortion for rock, blues, or heavy metal.
SimulAnalog Guitar Suite (free) - Very high-quality assorted effects. The sounds can tend to be pretty specialized, but they're still top-notch.
Project-X Guitar Pedals (free) - All their guitar pedals are very useful, and I like the fact that they're separate effects so that you can link them in any order you choose. Their X-amp is also most excellent. Highly recommended!
Amplitube - This is my favorite commercial guitar effects processor at the moment. The tone is very natural and life-like. Highly recommended!
Guitar Rig - Very high-quality effects and very flexible. It's a bit too synthy-sounding in my opinion, but the vast range of sounds it is capable of modelling well makes up for that.

Rellik wrote:Interesting bug:

In sfz, the end-of-note little slide-downs happen at the BEGINNING of the note, rather than once the note is released, causing something of a strange sound, and leaving no tail at the end. Still usable, though.

In Fruity Soundfont Player, the tail plays as it should, at the end. Odd, eh?
Yeah, and also the release sounds are played at the end, also. I have that problem when I load the soundfont into LiveSynth. I just don't think those programs don't recognize release samples, or at least the way release samples are programmed into soundfonts.

Great work...I am about to download the second version. I use Kontakt and it did take a little editing to fix some mapping issues-especially the release samples; but those were very easy to fix.

I wanted to add that Izotope Trash is another guitar amp modeler that works very well, especially if you like to "build" your own amp. I was able to get a lot of very convincing tones using this soundfont with Trash.

Thanks for a really useful and playable sample!
Pokeye

Yeah, and please post any mappings you come up with.

bump

Return to “Samplers, Sampling & Sample Libraries”