Possible scam buyer! Using PayPal Friends & Family = NO PROTECTION if you get scammed

Buy and sell, post special offers, group buys, etc. NOT product announcements.
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

chk071 wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 11:56 am I had that once too... can't for the life of me remember now though what was the reason. I only remember that the money got transferred regularly after a few days.

Edit: Just saw now that it has been resolved for you. Nevermind then. :)
Thank you. I think the reason is sometimes some countries are not so easy to deal with by PayPal. So, they need to take some additional actions before submitting I guess.

Hi guys,

I need some help.

I never sold or bought anything using KVR but I am planning to sell a lot of plugins and DAW's and am looking for the best possible way to do so in terms of it being a win-win situation for both me, (a recovering plugin hoarder) and you as plugin enthousiasts.

I'm from The Netherlands so I want to be paid in € euro's but I'm reading some concerning (confusing) things about selling using KVR, PayPal, fees, frauds...

In short:

let's just say I want to sell my Zebra 2 license for € 75 and actually receive € 75 in my bank account. How would that work? Is KVR the best platform to do so? Should PayPal be avoided? Isn't it old-skool to sent someone my IBAN?

If this isn't the proper thread please be free to point me in the right direction.

Thanks!

cranium wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:22 pm Hi guys,

I need some help.

I never sold or bought anything using KVR but I am planning to sell a lot of plugins and DAW's and am looking for the best possible way to do so in terms of it being a win-win situation for both me, (a recovering plugin hoarder) and you as plugin enthousiasts.

I'm from The Netherlands so I want to be paid in € euro's but I'm reading some concerning (confusing) things about selling using KVR, PayPal, fees, frauds...

In short:

let's just say I want to sell my Zebra 2 license for € 75 and actually receive € 75 in my bank account. How would that work? Is KVR the best platform to do so? Should PayPal be avoided? Isn't it old-skool to sent someone my IBAN?

If this isn't the proper thread please be free to point me in the right direction.

Thanks!
I don't know much about PayPal fees for various countries, but I have the following recommendations:

1. Always use PayPal Goods & Services for the transaction. In doing so, YOU as a SELLER need to pay the fees to PayPal because you are using their platform to get paid. This protects both you and the buyer in case something goes wrong and avoid potential scams.

2. Factor the fees in your asking price. It's up to you, but anywhere between 5-10% should work. So, if you want to sell something for 100 EUR, ask 110 EUR, so that you actually get 100 EUR assuming 10% fees.

I don't know how to guarantee to receive a certain amount because of the way PayPal works in my country, but based on the transactions I have done, I incur about 10% cost when selling anything. Buyer can be from any country and it would be a waste of time (for me) to calculate things minutely considering this plugin trading is not a business for me. This includes PayPal seller fees, PayPal currency conversion fees, bank FCY charges and taxes. Thus, I will add 10% of what I would like to receive to the actual amount.

I don't worry about losing a few bucks hear and there. If you are very specific about such things, you may need to study this more. If you want peace of mind, follow the above suggestions and remember to deal with people who have been around on KVR for a few years and have some good feedback.

USD is the is most commonly followed currency here as per my observations. But you can of course ask for EUR, so that at least you don't need to pay currency conversion charges.

Hope this helps. Wish you the best with your sales when you are ready. :tu:

Thanks a lot LoveEnigma18, that's an informative read. I'm totally fine with asking USD instead of EUR by the way.

I think I'll just have to give it a try one of these days, starting with just one VST.

You're welcome cranium. Glad it helped.

No worries, equivalent EUR amount is fine too. You will save on exchange fees. Yes, that would be the best thing to do. Perhaps a cheaper item to test the waters and see how it all works out.

This thread by Meffy is worth reading
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=295450&p=6385533#p6385533

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:55 pm You're welcome cranium. Glad it helped.

No worries, equivalent EUR amount is fine too. You will save on exchange fees. Yes, that would be the best thing to do. Perhaps a cheaper item to test the waters and see how it all works out.
Thanks again.

thecontrolcentre wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:04 pm This thread by Meffy is worth reading
viewtopic.php?f=43&t=295450&p=6385533#p6385533
Thanks, makes sense.

Although I haven't been very active on KVR (I usually just visit without login in) I guess the very fact that I have been a long time member would be some kind of comforting I hope.

Doing some additional research on how the selling procedure works and found out about KnobCloud.

Anyone familiar with KnobCloud?

cranium wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:47 pm Doing some additional research on how the selling procedure works and found out about KnobCloud.

Anyone familiar with KnobCloud?
I have been active there as a seller for a couple of months. Good platform, tries to add an additional layer of security. Very nice project lead / support.

ralfrobert wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:51 pm I have been active there as a seller for a couple of months. Good platform, tries to add an additional layer of security. Very nice project lead / support.
Thanks for sharing your experience with them.

My initial reaction when reading their FAQ is that it might be just what I am looking for.

My only concern right now is that I might look suspicous being a newbie compared to being a long time member on KVR, oh wait, I could close the deal using their platform and use KVR as a way to advertise what I am selling over at KnobCloud.

I'm thinking out loud...

cranium wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 7:01 pm

My only concern right now is that I might look suspicous being a newbie compared to being a long time member on KVR, oh wait, I could close the deal using their platform and use KVR as a way to advertise what I am selling over at KnobCloud.

I'm thinking out loud...
There are lots of newbies on Knobcloud. This is not a problem. You can also try both. I see no problem there.

I'll give it a try in the next couple of days. Thanks again for your reply.

LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:38 pm 1. Always use PayPal Goods & Services for the transaction. In doing so, YOU as a SELLER need to pay the fees to PayPal because you are using their platform to get paid. This protects both you and the buyer in case something goes wrong and avoid potential scams.
I'm still looking into this now I have the time for it. Some more questions:

1. How do I know the buyer used PayPal Goods & Services for the money transfer?

2. Do you make use of KVR's / KnobCloud's PM system or regular email to close the deal (to send them the payment link) for the purpose of proof in case something goes wrong?

3. Are you making use of sending the buyer a PayPal.Me link?

cranium wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 1:18 pm
LoveEnigma18 wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 5:38 pm 1. Always use PayPal Goods & Services for the transaction. In doing so, YOU as a SELLER need to pay the fees to PayPal because you are using their platform to get paid. This protects both you and the buyer in case something goes wrong and avoid potential scams.
I'm still looking into this now I have the time for it. Some more questions:

1. How do I know the buyer used PayPal Goods & Services for the money transfer?

2. Do you make use of KVR's / KnobCloud's PM system or regular email to close the deal (to send them the payment link) for the purpose of proof in case something goes wrong?

3. Are you making use of sending the buyer a PayPal.Me link?
1. Not sure. In my country, there's only Goods & Service option (no F&F), so people can't send money to me otherwise.

2. Yes, the transactions are done via communication through PMs. Please pay attention to the way the person communicates, responsiveness, etc. If required, exchange a few PMs before sealing the deal. Ask/show proofs if necessary, especially when dealing with new members.

3. I haven't, but it could be used - makes it a bit simpler I think.

Return to “Sell & Buy (+Special Offers, Deals & Promos)”