Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Buy and sell, post special offers, group buys, etc. NOT product announcements.
User avatar
dangayle
KVRian
1109 posts since 30 Mar, 2014

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:20 am

iZotope, Plugin Alliance, Waves. What do they all have in common? Their pricing is all over the place. One day a plugin or bundle is $699, the next it is $199, then it's $499 as a "loyalty discount", then it's $69, then it's $25, then it's $399.

I really do hate that. No issues with Fabfilter, U-he, Native Instruments or most of the other mid/small developers.

User avatar
mgw38
KVRAF
2238 posts since 26 Jul, 2015 from Philadelphia

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:25 am

I do agree, a bit more consistency would be nice. I am using iZotope, PA and Waves in every production and am quite happy with the products, but these developers do tend to annoy me.

User avatar
dangayle
KVRian
1109 posts since 30 Mar, 2014

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:09 am

mgw38 wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:25 am
I do agree, a bit more consistency would be nice. I am using iZotope, PA and Waves in every production and am quite happy with the products, but these developers do tend to annoy me.
Yeah, it's not even the price. If you have a premium product, price it accordingly. That's fine. But don't bottom it out every six months.

User avatar
ChamomileShark
KVRAF
1752 posts since 12 May, 2004 from Oxford, UK

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:10 am

dangayle wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:20 am
iZotope, Plugin Alliance, Waves. What do they all have in common? Their pricing is all over the place. One day a plugin or bundle is $699, the next it is $199, then it's $499 as a "loyalty discount", then it's $69, then it's $25, then it's $399.

I really do hate that. No issues with Fabfilter, U-he, Native Instruments or most of the other mid/small developers.
And in at least Izotopes case..the day after that it's being given away free with any purchase from Plugin Boutique. That usually means you can get them for about £3.

I watched it happen with Iris 2. Went from whatever down to £29 and then it was free. I'm wondering if the same thing will happen with Breaktweaker and Stutter Edit.

But the thing I like least about them is it seems you are better waiting and buying the newest verion of Ozone or Neutron outright because the upgrade prices despite sales seems to be higher.

ehdyn
KVRist
232 posts since 2 Aug, 2007

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:19 am

Well Breaktweaker expanded was going for $19.. then they turn around and ask $249 for it the next day.

Yeah, Waves is one of the worst offenders.. I’ve got ver 9, 10 and 11 plugins now because some weren’t installed and I didn’t know you had to manually “update” them regardless.

So now in order to run my plugins I have to pay more than they’re selling them for in order to have a version compatible with their installer. How does that make sense..

Had no idea they were going to jettison all my plugins when I installed a V11 plugin.

BBFG#
KVRAF
5912 posts since 28 Apr, 2013

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:23 am

I'll spare you the original analogy of the pimp, the whore and the johns.

But as it relates to these companies, the bottom line is "there's no such thing as a $500. plugin. There are however, $500. plugin customers."

User avatar
waltercruz
KVRAF
1846 posts since 4 Dec, 2011 from Brasília, Brazil

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:53 am

dangayle wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:20 am
iZotope, Plugin Alliance, Waves. What do they all have in common? Their pricing is all over the place. One day a plugin or bundle is $699, the next it is $199, then it's $499 as a "loyalty discount", then it's $69, then it's $25, then it's $399.

I really do hate that. No issues with Fabfilter, U-he, Native Instruments or most of the other mid/small developers.
At least, with Waves you 'know' that the price of the plugins are 29 - eventually everything gets this price, if you wait.

User avatar
telecode
KVRAF
1582 posts since 24 Mar, 2015 from Toronto, Canada

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:02 pm

waltercruz wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 11:53 am
dangayle wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 10:20 am
iZotope, Plugin Alliance, Waves. What do they all have in common? Their pricing is all over the place. One day a plugin or bundle is $699, the next it is $199, then it's $499 as a "loyalty discount", then it's $69, then it's $25, then it's $399.

I really do hate that. No issues with Fabfilter, U-he, Native Instruments or most of the other mid/small developers.
At least, with Waves you 'know' that the price of the plugins are 29 - eventually everything gets this price, if you wait.
sometimes, if you wait long enough, it becomes free. :clap:

User avatar
telecode
KVRAF
1582 posts since 24 Mar, 2015 from Toronto, Canada

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:06 pm

i have come to the conclusion in my KVR travels that many of these companies use pricing schemes which would normally get them fined in any consumer watchdog agency. imaging if the price of milk went from $100 to $3 at your local grocery store. VSTs are the wild west IMO.

ehdyn
KVRist
232 posts since 2 Aug, 2007

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:11 pm

Hmm, seems some action should be taken against Waves for preventing someone from accessing plugins they paid for.. and not automatically updating the version number in someone’s account to the latest in the year window.. i.e. my 9’s should have become 10’s and in some cases V11.

Many studios just want things stable and don’t rush to update all the time.

In any case there really have been no substantial improvements to justify a versioning. Nothing different about Metafilter 9 vs 11.

yehboy1
KVRian
577 posts since 13 Mar, 2017

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 12:29 pm

Oddly, it seems to work. I have bought alot more iZotope/PA stuff than FF/u-he over the past year.

nathanj
KVRian
524 posts since 23 Mar, 2013

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:45 pm

Little Microshift for $9 at JRR Shop.

Hoping they get through all the little plugs + echoby jr this way.

yellowmix
KVRAF
1556 posts since 11 Aug, 2012 from omfr morf form romf frmo

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 5:50 pm

Evolution Series sale is on, looks like up to 40%, and Clar-Duduk is free: https://www.evolutionseries.com/shop-main/

Shop product pages to buy are separate from the "portfolio" pages where explanations of what the products are and audio demos can be found. While linked to in the shop page, ass-backwards setup to me, but then again, website storefront/cart systems can create odd scenarios like that.

Anyway, they sound good to me. Any users can comment, particularly on the percussion stuff?

User avatar
satYatunes
KVRAF
2017 posts since 22 Aug, 2006 from Earth

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:39 pm

Is there any good alternative to RX 7 standard. I am looking for other functionalities (vocal isolation, etc.) instead of declip, dehum, etc.
Similarly, any better alternative to SpectraLayer Pro?
satYatunes - Sound and Graphic Designer
Premium / free skins and soundsets
Melda plugins, Hive, DUNE 2, DUNE 3, Patchwork and many more...

Drogers
KVRist
72 posts since 21 Dec, 2016 from United States

Re: Bargain Center: discussion, gossip, etc.

Post Sat Dec 14, 2019 4:32 am

satYatunes wrote:
Fri Dec 13, 2019 9:39 pm
Is there any good alternative to RX 7 standard. I am looking for other functionalities (vocal isolation, etc.) instead of declip, dehum, etc.
Similarly, any better alternative to SpectraLayer Pro?
Besides EQ, there is the Waves Restoration bundle which is on sale for $109 right now. IMHO RX is just better. Melodyne Editor is fantastic adding a lot of options for vocals.

Return to “Sell & Buy (+Special Offers, Deals & Promos)”