IK's 25th Anniversary Group Buy! Up to 25 for the price of 1

Buy and sell, post special offers, group buys, etc. NOT product announcements.
KVRian
806 posts since 4 Feb, 2021

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:25 pm

I don’t care about the specifics when the whole concept sucks. IK may as well offer me a discount on the re-download, but it would still stink of exploitation. There are no excuses for such a model, and afaik, no one but IK uses it (and if they do, it means they are just as vulgar, not that two wrongs make a right).
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or obligue motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

KVRist
98 posts since 1 Jul, 2021

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:37 pm

Someone who can afford to purchase a Mac, should also have the money to pay about USD 15 for download a soundbank a 2nd time after 180 days lol

No kidding, I do not like it, too, and it does not make IKM very likeable indeed.
I suppose IKM gets some money from SSD hard drives producers!?

KVRer
5 posts since 16 May, 2019

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:53 pm

So the "Sounds Download Reactivation Credit" is $9.99. With 3 jam points it comes down to $6.99. Annoying, but not a deal breaker. Back up all your installers and the C:\Users\Public\Documents\IK Multimedia folder (Windows) once you have everything installed and working.

KVRian
880 posts since 3 Sep, 2011

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:22 pm

Yep an inexplicable policy and pretty much why I'm skipping this group buy, apart from the fact that I already own T-rackS max, leaving only syntronik of interest besides the few modules missing in max. Also the backup process seems like more trouble than it's worth and can't just save the installers.

KVRian

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:28 pm

DCrown wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 9:37 pm
Someone who can afford to purchase a Mac, should also have the money to pay about USD 15 for download a soundbank a 2nd time after 180 days lol
Yup. If you can afford a mac, you can afford being exploited. :lol: :tu:
No kidding, I do not like it, too, and it does not make IKM very likeable indeed.
I suppose IKM gets some money from SSD hard drives producers!?
Well, since they stick to it, there must be an ideology behind it, and surely one of profit, not service to paying customers. Every other VSTis and samplers I own, I can downlad 24-7. I expect such a service by default, not to beg for it. And the “but you are only exploited for 9 bucks” does not bite on me either. As said, it is the concept that sucks. Know this joke?

“A man is sitting eating dinner at a party and asks the woman besides him if she would go to bed with him if he payed her one million dollars. The woman’s eyes grow big, and she says that she would not necessarily reject such an offer. Then he asks if she would do it for one dollar. She gets upset and asks him ‘Are you mad, what do you think I am?’ He answers:’Well that is already confirmed, now we discuss the price’.” :party:

Ain’t gonna be their ho, but to each, his own :wink:

But let me not spoil the party with this. As you were and enjoy your gain, users, this is not directed at you.
Tribe Of Hǫfuð https://soundcloud.com/user-228690154 "First rule: From one perfect consonance to another perfect consonance one must proceed in contrary or obligue motion." Johann Joseph Fux 1725.

KVRist

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:54 pm

I saw a thread about two years ago about software devs who sell VSTi libraries, first and foremost sample libraries. The more HDD or SSD are sold, the more these VSTi devs earn. So IKM is clever to "force" you to buy more disc space for storing these libraries and back ups and even get 9 usd in addition ! It's business! It's not the church and even the church is more or less business, but that's a completely different topic.
No one forces you to buy IKM, you have such a huge choice today.

KVRian

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:08 pm

DCrown wrote:
Thu Sep 23, 2021 10:54 pm
I saw a thread about two years ago about software devs who sell VSTi libraries, first and foremost sample libraries. The more HDD or SSD are sold, the more these VSTi devs earn. So IKM is clever to "force" you to buy more disc space for storing these libraries and back ups and even get 9 usd in addition
Interesting info, thx.

No one forces you to buy IKM, you have such a huge choice today.
True, the IK Saints only try to force you to re-purchase their sound libs once purchased, or store them on external media according to your own approach. Either way would be win to them and lose to customers.

And trivializing bad busniness as “just business” is but a cheap trick of capitalism too. Won`t make it to my door :uhuhuh:
Last edited by TribeOfHǫfuð on Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

KVRAF
6870 posts since 31 Aug, 2013 from Down the Withywindle

Post Thu Sep 23, 2021 11:52 pm

Did I mention I played guitar with Amplitube last night until about 2:30 AM, again?
Of all my issues with IK, and the list has grown shorter, the download issue is not uppermost in my mind. Given that I have a machine with just 1 tb of ssd storage, external drives were inevitable. So, all my IK dmg files are on one of my external drives. Not a biggie. For me.
Obsolete sound installers and M1 ARM compatability are my main issues with IK at the moment. The former, not so much, I don't have a lot of new Sampletank 3 add-ons from this buy, and they're all giving me three versions of the same patch, though 2 go to dead ends. But, they're working.
"You shoulda been there."
Dr. Winston O'Boogie

KVRist

Post Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:06 am

[
And trivializing bad busniness as “just business” is but a cheap trick of capitalism too. Won`t make it to my door :uhuhuh:
[/quote]

Communists have a big choice of free plugins! I'd recommend TDR Molot a free emulation of some Russian gear afaik ;)

There are lots of tricks of capitalism:

1. A fancy gui (Acustica Audio)
2. Louder is better (T-Racks tapes and a lof other plugins by other devs).
3. Hyping ( Plugin Alliance with their useless TMT, it's said to be just eqs lol and their "every two weeks some new sales throughout the year" )
4. Pricing, make a high list price and sell it almost for free one year later (Plugin Alliance and some more)
5. Promote and hype with the assistance of Influencers (Kitplugins, Blackbird Studios and Warren Huart Produce like a pro, what an embarrasing plugin release!)
6. Signature plugins (Waves, IKM)
7. Fame of old gear (Pultec, SSL, Neve, Trident etc (Arturia, IKM, Waves, UVI, Softube and many more)
Last edited by DCrown on Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:27 am, edited 5 times in total.

KVRian

Post Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:12 am

DCrown wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:06 am
Communists have a big choice of free plugins! I'd recommend TDR Molot a free emulation of some Russian gear afaik ;)
Oh, I got the real thing. A midi'd Formanta Polivoks and ditto Estradin Altair 231. No emulations needed. They are as authentic and radioactive as can be. Altair is even 85% minimoog clone because the concept of copyright did not quite apply to the USSR during its birth. The remaining 15% they had to do with their own components. Gave it some twists compared to minimoog.

KVRAF
2360 posts since 23 Dec, 2002

Post Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:03 am

== deleted : life is far too short ==

KVRist
160 posts since 19 Aug, 2021

Post Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:13 am

Don't know, my MBP 2012 just backs up everything automatically on an external drive. Those libraries are pretty large, data transfer costs money. IK runs a business, not a charity. You know how many companies sent you an new CD/DVD when you lost one back in the day: about 1%, most would just laugh at you.

The download manager literally shows you the timer, I really don't understand what the beef is here.

KVRist
50 posts since 16 Oct, 2020

Post Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:28 am

I went to try out the free Sampletank in my account but it shows up as having been already activated (perhaps it was a glitch, perhaps a button was accidentally touched at some point in the past - either way, I've never downloaded the content). I'll be damned if I'm going to pay to download 'free' content for the first time, lol.

IK is in my good books after this group buy but that definitely annoyed me and I will probably steer clear of the Sampletank freebies on principle.

KVRian

Post Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:32 am

flori89 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:13 am
Don't know, my MBP 2012 just backs up everything automatically on an external drive. Those libraries are pretty large, data transfer costs money. IK runs a business, not a charity.
Oh, so every other company who manage to provide download 24-7 of big libs runs a charity not a business? Try again, mate :wink:

One thing is to tolarate IK's way. Another is to try to justify and trivialize it with the "business" argument. The former is a question of personal threshold, the latter fails again and again in this case afaic.

KVRist
160 posts since 19 Aug, 2021

Post Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:36 am

TribeOfHǫfuð wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:32 am
flori89 wrote:
Fri Sep 24, 2021 1:13 am
Don't know, my MBP 2012 just backs up everything automatically on an external drive. Those libraries are pretty large, data transfer costs money. IK runs a business, not a charity.
Oh, so every other DEV who manage to provide download 24-7 of big libs runs a charity not a business? Try again, mate :wink:

One thing is to tolarate IK's way. Another is to try to trivialize it with the "business" argument. The former is a question of preference, the latter fails again and again in this case afaic.
No they don't. They factor in the download costs into the prices of their products. They calculate an average of how many times a product is downloaded and then factor in the transfer costs into the price. Do you really think you aren't paying for the downloads? Come on.

Return to “Sell & Buy (+Special Offers, Deals & Promos)”