VIP2 nightmare!

RELATED
PRODUCTS

So I bought a supposedly brand new VIP2 in June 2017. Bought it from Pro Audio LA who admitted it was returned by a professional musician stating "it didn't work for them as they had hoped". That should have been my first red flag. It didn't strike me as odd at the time, I was just excited to get a brand new unit for under $1500. It arrived a few days later, I installed Ivory 2, hooked everything up and --- oh my god. The audio sounds horrendous. I was using the standard 1/4" outputs with TRS cables going to my mixer, then to powered speakers. Attached is a video of the sound. Shortly after I was in contact with Kevin B from Muse who said it was a ground loop issue but a Presonus 1818VSL should take care of that. Fast forward a few months when I finally got around to getting an 1818 (I hardly used the Receptor at all due to the sound problem so it sat) I found out the VIP2 wasn't presonus ready. So I had to track down where to buy a license for it without over paying for a new 1818 that comes with a license. Finally got one yesterday! Went to enter in the license just to find out that the crossover connection can't piggy back my internet connection. No big deal. Just would have to wait til morning and bring everything with me to work so I can hook up an LCD monitor via VGA. I then disable my crossover connection. I get to work this morning and can't wait to get this thing going. Plug in the monitor and start her up. But wouldn't you know it, another thing that doesn't work. The VGA puts out a signal during initialization but once fully booted I get nothing. Stumped I figure I can at least use the crossover connection again to see what's going on, so as you know its: Setup -> Network -> Switch to crossover -> push to select. And I get nothing. I try a few more times and still nothing. Go to different settings and try to change them and nothing. Turns out the bottom knob is inoperative for whatever reason. I can turn it to the desired preset but unable to select.

So here I am now. Telling my story for all of you to hear. So my question is. Is there anyone out there who I could send this thing to and have them work on it? I have no idea what I'm doing once it comes to the internals of computers. As of right now this VIP2 is 100% useless. Any help would be greatly appreciated. TIA!

Link to ground loop sound:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0OFFO ... sp=sharing

Link to monitor issue:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1d3k_k1 ... sp=sharing

hi
where are you?
Andy

I'm located in PA, near Philadelphia... I have somewhat of an update. I was somehow able to get my crossover connection back up and running. And just because i was bored and wanted to rule everything out I plugged in the monitor. So the mouse tracks as it should but it doesn't show the editor...

2nd update. The VGA output works perfectly in mixer mode but when you switch to rack mode it doesn't show anything but the mouse tracking

On the front Receptor panel, go to settings and you can manually dial in the screen ratio you want. Start really low and restart till you get the screen resolution you want and works best with your screen - if the bottom knob is truly broken and you can open up the mixer view then change the resolution settings in that view and I believe the settings should carry over to rack view. WIW I use a wifi router and VNC Viewer. I can transfer files and everything over wifi.

As for ground loop hum, I haven't watched your attached video links, but I just have to ask if you troubleshooted the rest of your equipment - 1/4" cables through speakers to see if it's within that setup? If all is well with that there are a few other things to run down such a PSU and 1/4" connections.
Did you say you did get the 1818 connected cleanly?
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

Hi
some questions
1.Is the noise still present when you go through earphones.(presonus and receptor)
2.are you using balanced or unbalanced cables from the receptor (Presonus) to the mixer
3.is there a ground lift on your powered speaker.If so have you tried it.
4.Are you using shielded cabled ( guitar cables)from ghe receptor to the mixer
Andy

I'll try changing the screen resolution. I just thought it was weird that in mixer mode the VGA output worked perfectly but once I switched it to rack mode and it restarted the screen was then blank except for the mouse tracking.

I've tried a couple different brands of TRS cables and still the same sound. It makes the sound whether its plugged into the mixer or directly into the speakers.

I still haven't got the Presonus up and running since I ran into the rack mode issue. I will be getting a wireless router today so hopefully that makes a difference.

Unsure about the ground lift. I'll have to look at the manual to see if it's capable.

That doesn't really sound like a groundloop to me. More like the data buss is leaking into the audio signal somewhere. Capacitor gone bad somewhere? Or maybe the audio buss is so low that the signal to noise ratio between data noise and signal is very low. Are you having to crank the amp a lot more than usual to get decent volume?

plethoraguy wrote:That doesn't really sound like a groundloop to me. More like the data buss is leaking into the audio signal somewhere. Capacitor gone bad somewhere? Or maybe the audio buss is so low that the signal to noise ratio between data noise and signal is very low. Are you having to crank the amp a lot more than usual to get decent volume?

Not at all, the volume for the Receptor is usually right around the 9:00 position. Volume coming out is perfect.

I'd look towards the former then (bad capacitor to grnd inside your VIP).

Don't think you answered if you get the noise through the headphones output also?

But here's one whacky and unlikely possibility. Have you used the receptor in a different position (i.e. out of the rack or further away from other modules) sometimes emf can radiate out and leak into the signal on other modules.

btw, I am NO engineer, I've just have had enough gear (SOOOOO much gear...) get wonky on me over the years that I've picked up a thing or two.

anyway, sorry for your woes. My receptor experience has mostly been a joyful one.

Heh. Yeah, just saw the vid.
I would say there's unacceptable noise coming out even before turing on the Receptor. I have an earlier version of the same Behringer mixer. They're handy, quick, problem-solvers but a little noisy in the s/n ratio. If speakers are powered then try going directly from Receptor to speakers with proper speaker cable. Also try having everything else turned off. If you can, plug only the Receptor and speakers into one power strip that goes into one grounded wall recepticle. That will likely make a difference. As with Plethoraguy, I don't have enough technical knowledge to describe exactly what is making the noise but real-time equipment-hours offers me some wisdom. A power conditioner (heard something about that) is contraindicated by manufacturer as there is already circuitry that adjusts for that and a power conditioner would make both the Receptor and 1818 work harder (again, I don't know the theory, just going by manufacturer requests). If you've cleaned up all the other connections and gone direct and there's STILL noise then I would double check that the sound doesn't come through the headphones. Clean up the inter-device stuff first as the sound(s) is DEFINITELY RF interference and not 50-60Hz hum. That's what I hear before you even turn the Receptor on.
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

Looking at your video video (screen). I see your LED throws some codes. Research them here:
https://www.plugorama.com/kb.php?id=499
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

I'm headed off to work so if you're like me and get totally on task and can't let the thing go till the problem is solved, then if you've tried all of the above and things go WELL! then I suggest running 1ft. 1/4" cables from PC2r to the in's of Receptor. Unless using the 1818, in which use a 1ft DATA RCA 75ohm cable (overkill, but considering...) for spdif. For funsies Ii would say make sure your MIDI cable is fresh too.
G'luck
Fish Out Of Water
Entune Productions

sorry for the delay, got busy at work. So i finally was able to get everything working properly.. was able to get a wireless connection on the receptor, and able to see inside via VNC viewer, got the presonus license activated and the receptor noise went away........until is was rack mounted........ I don't know enough about the internals of computers to even know what to look for if i took the top panel off... does anyone know of anybody who is trustworthy enough to send it too and have them look at it?? I spent $1200 on the receptor and would hate to take a huge hit on it selling it as defective.. i'd much rather spend the money to get it running properly....

Here is the video of it rack mounted:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1ymZefT ... sp=sharing

OK Bottom line, if it's only noisy when it is IN THE RACK and nothing else is changed (cables, power cords, inputs to your mixer, etc. are all the same) then it is RF either leaking OUT of the VIP2 into other gear or other GEAR RF leaking into VIP2. Is that a power amp below your VIP2?
You might try moving the VIP2 below it and see if it's any better.
YOU STILL HAVEN'T SAID IF YOU GET THE NOISE THROUGH THE HEADPHONES! Help us help you!

Return to “Muse Research and Development”