Possible Kompakt/Receptor issue

RELATED
PRODUCTS

I configure and save Kompakt to disable DFD (for efficiency). Whenever I reboot Receptor, DFD is re-enabled on Kompakt.

How can i save Kompakt with DFD off?

Good catch, I just checked and I see this a bug for us. I've entered this as a open issue.

Thanks
SoftJunkie wrote:I configure and save Kompakt to disable DFD (for efficiency). Whenever I reboot Receptor, DFD is re-enabled on Kompakt.

How can i save Kompakt with DFD off?
Rick
Muse Research

Can you suggest a workaround? For now, I wouldn't mind disabling DFD altogether if that is possible.

1. Instantiate Kompakt
2. Disable DFD
Result: DFD will be disabled for any instantiation of Kompakt untill Receptors host is restarted.

I hope this is helpful to you.
SoftJunkie wrote:Can you suggest a workaround? For now, I wouldn't mind disabling DFD altogether if that is possible.
Rick
Muse Research

I am prepared to purchase a Kompakt license for Receptor (via Plugorama) once a fix is available.

If there is a workaround to permanently disable DFD, that would work for me.

There is not currently a way to permanently disable DFD. But I recommend you use up the 30 day demo and see it performs for you. If you use Kompakt you really need to add additional RAM. My experience with additional RAM makes DFD on or off not issue.
SoftJunkie wrote:I am prepared to purchase a Kompakt license for Receptor (via Plugorama) once a fix is available.

If there is a workaround to permanently disable DFD, that would work for me.
Rick
Muse Research

I've upgraded to 1GB. I do see a difference in CPU usage with and without DFD. I clip CPU usage more often with DFD enabled.

You are correct there is a diffence with CPU with DFD enabled and not. Also try setting the Sample Rate to 44.1 and Buffer Size to 256, I don't think latency will be an issue for you.
SoftJunkie wrote:I've upgraded to 1GB. I do see a difference in CPU usage with and without DFD. I clip CPU usage more often with DFD enabled.
Rick
Muse Research

Right. 256 sample buffer size feels fine. It a question of having multiple plugins running along with Kompakt. I still have more testing to do. I'll probably put a multi setup together using an Alesis QS 7.1. This will let me set up some zones.

I've been driving Receptor and a Dell Inspiron 9100 (with an RME Multiface) from the same keyboard. I mix each stereo out and compare performance, stability, etc.

This is all in an effort put together a live keyboard setup that is 100% VSTi-based.

Question, if DFD does not work well with kompakt in receptor...

Why does plugorama list Kompakt as "Kompakt w/DFD"? Does that mean this is planned for near future support?

DFD kicks in when the availble RAM is filled. For example if have 512MB of RAM and a 1GB sample, DFD would allow you to load the file. However if you have enough RAM for the sample then you do not need to run DFD which would be another process running in the background.
Robert Randolph wrote:Question, if DFD does not work well with kompakt in receptor...

Why does plugorama list Kompakt as "Kompakt w/DFD"? Does that mean this is planned for near future support?
Rick
Muse Research

No, that's not how it works as far as I know. DFD preloads a small part of each sample in a patch (as in .wav) into ram. The rest of it is then streamed from disc when triggered. This is a big difference cause it lets you load patches and libraries that are *a lot* bigger than the amount of ram in your computer. So being able to use DFD is quite a big issue if you use larger sample-libraries or lots of them.

MaxReverb wrote:DFD kicks in when the availble RAM is filled. For example if have 512MB of RAM and a 1GB sample, DFD would allow you to load the file. However if you have enough RAM for the sample then you do not need to run DFD which would be another process running in the background.

You’re correct, my explanation was not very clear on the last post. However Kompakt does require some RAM regardless of the DFD state. For me I really started to notice a difference at 768MB.

tibular wrote:No, that's not how it works as far as I know. DFD preloads a small part of each sample in a patch (as in .wav) into ram. The rest of it is then streamed from disc when triggered. This is a big difference cause it lets you load patches and libraries that are *a lot* bigger than the amount of ram in your computer. So being able to use DFD is quite a big issue if you use larger sample-libraries or lots of them.

MaxReverb wrote:DFD kicks in when the availble RAM is filled. For example if have 512MB of RAM and a 1GB sample, DFD would allow you to load the file. However if you have enough RAM for the sample then you do not need to run DFD which would be another process running in the background.
Rick
Muse Research

What is the status of this issue (Kontakt DFD cannot be disabled persistently)?

I badly need the ability to disable DFD.

What is the status of this issue (Kontakt DFD cannot be disabled persistently)?

I badly need the ability to disable DFD.

We have isolated and fixed the problem with Kompakt and DFD. The fix will be implemented in our 1.0.1 update that will be available on Plugorama as soon as beta testing completes.

Return to “Muse Research and Development”