What the CPU of receptor ?

Locked New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

What is the CPU speed of receptor ?
If thats not unswerable ( because it doesn't need to run services like a home pc OS ) so whats the cpu usage of some plugs comparing for those plugs running on a pc ?

I'm too fast on the 'Submit' button today.
I've found the answer at : http://www.kvr-vst.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=53850

Anyway, this got me thinking... Receptor is a computer running on linux OS.
So had its OS been available to the public it could have been installed on a regular PC giving the same benefits of receptor.
Linux is an open source so doesn't that mean that receptors OS is open source ?

Sure the OS is open source, but who's to say the application is open source. Items only fall under the GNU liscense if you use pieces of them. Writing an application that runs in said OS doesn't mean that it's open source.

The Linux OS is open source. On top of Linux we run our own application, which is not open source.

You can buy a regular PC and install Linux, but you will not be able to run our application. There are many fine open source MIDI and audio applications for Linux, but none that gives you the functionality of Receptor.

Some of the reasons someone would want to buy a Receptor are: it is a rugged rack mount piece of equipment, it includes the MIDI and audio hardware, right out of the box there is nothing to install, it is easy to use.

None of these are true with a PC running Linux. That does not mean that a PC running Linux is not useful for music. If you work in a studio (as opposed to live perfoamance), have the know-how, and have the time and patience to install all the extra hardware and software, you may be happy with a PC running Linux.
Dan Timis
Software Developer
Muse Research, Inc.

Let me say one thing, congratulaions for the day you had this vision and decided to go with it.
Smart move

DanTimis wrote:The Linux OS is open source. On top of Linux we run our own application, which is not open source.

You can buy a regular PC and install Linux, but you will not be able to run our application.
I know you like your niche, and I totally respect it.

But you have a couple of things that would be great as separate products:

1. You have a quiet 2-U enclosure, with a sensible front panel for an audio device. If only there were general purpose cases like this!

2. You have the killer app for linux audio. You should sell it as a standalone linux app. I'm talking, in the $500 price range. You'd be the first to market. Fruity and Magix have both dropped the ball, even though it should be obvious, it's time for someone to be first to market with a finished, retail, linux app.

I'd go as far as to say you could (a) require the Ilok, (b) require a narrowly defined hardware compatability list, (c) require a clean 40G drive partition, and still sell it. If the DVD takes care of the uglier parts of installing the OS, you'll have crossed a threshold for consumer linux products in general. Surprised you haven't done it. Bet you've considered it though!

The form factor and platform is tempting. On the other hand, if you have "incompatible" plugs like me (SampleTank, Synth1, etc.), you can get that same form factor here: http://www.sonicblade.com/sonic_blade.htm

I have not made the upgrade move yet - I keep hoping that the Receptor's elegant AMD/Linux based solution gets an infusion of compatibility testing support so it can become more mainstream...

EnzymeX wrote:You can get that same form factor here: http://www.sonicblade.com/sonic_blade.htm
Just how quiet is it? Quiet enough to use within one meter of a hot microphone?

The only thing the SonicBlade folks have that really is interesting is the case. I'd absolutely love to buy just that case, *maybe* with their power supply.

But looking at the hardware choices they've made, I think I can do a better job. For one thing, you can buy a lot more *quiet* just by dropping the cpu spec down a hair.

Where's my 14" deep 2U ATX rack case???

Return to “Muse Research and Development”