Probs with Program changes

Discussion and Support for Receptor and MuseBox, the Hardware Plug-in players by Muse Research.
Robert Karasek
KVRist
308 posts since 1 Oct, 2004 from Germany

Post Sun Oct 10, 2004 6:24 am

Hi !

I'm using sound A. when switching to sound B

1. sound A (with large release value )is cut...okay, that's quite normal)

but:
2. sound B is "active" but you get the rest of the "cut-away piece" of sound A...

that's pretty annoying especially for a live sitation.

any way to avoid this ? (#1 and/or #2)?

thanx !
Rob
(formerly wizard_of_keys)

DanTimis
MUSEician
682 posts since 20 Aug, 2004 from California

Post Sun Oct 10, 2004 4:23 pm

This is dependent on how the plug-in is implemented. Some plug-ins may keep the decay of Sound A going and apply the new patch only to new note on messages. Others may cut the decay of Sound A, but not continue with the decay of Sound B.

If you have a virtual analog synth, you play a note, and move a resonant filter knob, you probably want to hear the change even over the decay. If a patch change is the same as suddenly changing a bunch of parameters, it makes sense to hear the changes over the decay.

On the other hand with a sampler it makes no sense to replace the decay of a piano sound with the decay of a trumpet. So it depends on each plug-in how to implement a patch change. Unfortunately, many plug-ins are not written with live performance in mind.

I'm not sure if we can fix this in a future update and I don't know how we would do it.

There is something you can do right now, although it is not very elegant. Instantiate the plug-in on 2 different channels. Set the plug-in on channel 1 to Sound A and the plug-in on channel 2 to Sound B. Disable channel 2 and save the settings as a multi. Enable channel 2 and disable channel 1 and save it as a multi.

Now, when you change between these two multi patches, channel 1 will get disabled and Sound A will cut off immediately. Channel 2 will become enabled, but you will not hear anything until you send a note on.
Dan Timis
Software Developer
Muse Research, Inc.

Robert Karasek
KVRist
308 posts since 1 Oct, 2004 from Germany

Post Sun Oct 10, 2004 11:45 pm

DanTimis wrote:
Unfortunately, many plug-ins are not written with live performance in mind.
That's no problem - that's our job :lol:

Your solution sounds quite fine ! I'll have a try on it...

ThanX a lot !
Rob

Return to “Muse Research and Development”