Licence question

Official support for: zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net
KVRAF
2083 posts since 8 Feb, 2003 from Nearish Detroit, MI

Post Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:15 am

Hi there! I'd like to get into music making on the Raspberry Pi as well as my windows PC and am looking for a great synth that runs natively on both platforms.

Does anyone know if paying the license fee for ZynAddSubFx / Fusion unlocks both the Windows and Linux versions or if I would have to pay twice.

Thanks! :)
GLHF! (Gandalf Lives, Hobbits Forever!)

KVRian
528 posts since 21 Oct, 2008 from USA

Post Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:44 am

Right now the license is open source for both the GUI and the backend. You can build the whole stack yourself without paying anything. Previously in early development of the GUI rewrite there was a temporarily proprietary license. Paying for the gumroad binaries is essentially just that, paying for prebuilt versions of zyn. Of note for your case the linux builds are targeting x86_64, not ARM, so as of the moment you'd have to build the ARM side yourself.

It shouldn't be too hard and people do the same build from time to time, however I haven't done so in a while.
One of the developers on the ZynAddSubFX open source synth
The author of the Zyn-Fusion UI for ZynAddSubFX

KVRAF

Topic Starter

2083 posts since 8 Feb, 2003 from Nearish Detroit, MI

Post Sat Apr 24, 2021 4:44 pm

Thanks! I have to admit I've never done a build myself, but I have a 14-year-old who routinely does such things, so I could ask him :)

Thank you again!
GLHF! (Gandalf Lives, Hobbits Forever!)

Return to “ZynAddSubFX”