Zyn-Fusion OSX Build Scripts Compilation Problem

Official support for: zynaddsubfx.sourceforge.net
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Hi,

I have downloaded the OSX build scripts (https://github.com/zynaddsubfx/zyn-build-osx), and have encountered an error during compilation:

Code: Select all

clang: error: unsupported option '-static-libgcc' 
I have installed the compilers and packages that the 00_gcc7.sh script says to install, as I am aware that the compiler must allow for static linking. Also I tracked down where the "-static-libgcc" flag is within the 01_compile.sh script (lines 245 and 255), but have very limited knowledge of static linking and compiling in C so have little else information to provide.

I am running MacOS High Sierra (v10.13.2).

Many thanks to anyone who can help me out with this, please let me know if this is posted in the wrong place or is missing necessary information. :)

As implied by '-static-libgcc' the build scripts try to build the software using gcc. In particular the version of gcc built by the 00_gcc7.sh script.

With your version of clang it may be possible to build using that compiler, however it would likely produce a binary only usable by your one computer. To test that out you should be able to changes references to gcc to clang in the build scripts and remove -static-libgcc .

Lastly it may be easier to track these sorts of questions if they're done on github via https://github.com/zynaddsubfx/zyn-build-osx/issues .
One of the developers on the ZynAddSubFX open source synth
The author of the Zyn-Fusion UI for ZynAddSubFX

Thanks for replying,
I was unaware that gcc and clang were so different, and so I attempted to make sure my computer automatically used gcc instead of clang, yet whatever I tried I could not get it to compile with gcc, and so I instead removed the -static-libgcc flags and let it compile using clang.

To my knowledge this got past the original error, but then failed whilst building with this error:

Code: Select all

/src/zyn_build_x86_64/zynaddsubfx/src/Misc/Bank.cpp:43:16: error: cannot initialize return object of type 'char *' with an lvalue of type 'const char *'
        return info.dli_fname;
Seeing an error like this makes me feel as if it may not be to do with the OSX build scripts, but I am unsure.

I am not sure where to report this, but any help with sorting this out or pointing me in the right direction of help would be greatly appreciated.

Try rerunning the script. A patch for that particular error has just been pushed.
One of the developers on the ZynAddSubFX open source synth
The author of the Zyn-Fusion UI for ZynAddSubFX

Many thanks for that, the compilation (with clang) worked, however upon running the full build script (doit.sh), the .vst files produced did not seem to work in any application I tried them in (the plugins would not show up, and I attempted this in both Ableton Live 9 (64bit), and Renoise (which I believe can run 64 and 32bit vsts)).

I then made sure to only compile the 64bit version in case that was to do with the issue, but that resulted in the deploy and package scripts not running, exiting out almost as soon as the script began, and returning no error message.

I will report all this to the OSX build scripts GitHub issues page, but feeling that this may have something to do with compiling with clang rather than gcc, any information about getting cmake to use gcc rather than clang to compile (because I'm fairly sure that it is cmake that automatically uses clang on my system), would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks for all your help.

Return to “ZynAddSubFX”