Can Axiom/Destructor/Late Replies do surf guitar "drip"?

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
pumafred
KVRist
469 posts since 28 Oct, 2012 from Argentina

Post Fri Jul 05, 2019 3:33 pm

I wonder if somebody can give me tips to get this "boing" sound of surf guitar reverb.
It is most noticeable in this video, especially when playing with the Fender Reverb unit.

https://youtu.be/qnz_jcgBT28

Any help or suggestions will be appreciated!!

User avatar
Blue Cat Audio
KVRAF
3904 posts since 8 Sep, 2004 from Paris (France)

Re: Can Axiom/Destructor/Late Replies do surf guitar "drip"?

Post Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:54 am

There are a couple of "springy verb" presets in Late Replies (and a couple of better simulations in the latest released - to be included in Axiom soon) that you can use as a basis for spring-type reverbs.

The key to get a realistic sound is to use the spring reverb BEFORE the cabinet simulation (so you can place it before the amp, or even better between the amp and the cabinet simulation if you use a separate instance for the cab sim). Because the sound of the spring reverb from a guitar amplifier is heard thru the cabinet, which filters the echoes quite a bit!

pumafred
KVRist
469 posts since 28 Oct, 2012 from Argentina

Re: Can Axiom/Destructor/Late Replies do surf guitar "drip"?

Post Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:15 am

Blue Cat Audio wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:54 am
There are a couple of "springy verb" presets in Late Replies (and a couple of better simulations in the latest released - to be included in Axiom soon) that you can use as a basis for spring-type reverbs.

The key to get a realistic sound is to use the spring reverb BEFORE the cabinet simulation (so you can place it before the amp, or even better between the amp and the cabinet simulation if you use a separate instance for the cab sim). Because the sound of the spring reverb from a guitar amplifier is heard thru the cabinet, which filters the echoes quite a bit!
Thanks, I will try this later. Further, the early players had the reverb BEFORE the amp even, since it was a separate unit. (I am thinking of the Fender Reverb.) What I am finding difficult is to replicate that strange "boing" (the "drip") right when you play the note (exemplified in the video I linked above). A sound that most would find quite horrible and only belongs with these late 50's early 60's guitars. I guess that because it is of so limited use, most modellers don't work on getting it. I just became obsessed with getting it. And then I will probably only use it once. OCD! :wink:

User avatar
Tappistry
KVRian
1435 posts since 3 Aug, 2017 from San Diego, CA

Re: Can Axiom/Destructor/Late Replies do surf guitar "drip"?

Post Wed Jul 10, 2019 6:40 pm

pumafred wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:15 am
Blue Cat Audio wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 7:54 am
There are a couple of "springy verb" presets in Late Replies (and a couple of better simulations in the latest released - to be included in Axiom soon) that you can use as a basis for spring-type reverbs.

The key to get a realistic sound is to use the spring reverb BEFORE the cabinet simulation (so you can place it before the amp, or even better between the amp and the cabinet simulation if you use a separate instance for the cab sim). Because the sound of the spring reverb from a guitar amplifier is heard thru the cabinet, which filters the echoes quite a bit!
Thanks, I will try this later. Further, the early players had the reverb BEFORE the amp even, since it was a separate unit. (I am thinking of the Fender Reverb.) What I am finding difficult is to replicate that strange "boing" (the "drip") right when you play the note (exemplified in the video I linked above). A sound that most would find quite horrible and only belongs with these late 50's early 60's guitars. I guess that because it is of so limited use, most modellers don't work on getting it. I just became obsessed with getting it. And then I will probably only use it once. OCD! :wink:
Reverb before the amp is post-rock riff heaven. :D

User avatar
Blue Cat Audio
KVRAF
3904 posts since 8 Sep, 2004 from Paris (France)

Re: Can Axiom/Destructor/Late Replies do surf guitar "drip"?

Post Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:58 pm

pumafred wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:15 am
Thanks, I will try this later. Further, the early players had the reverb BEFORE the amp even, since it was a separate unit. (I am thinking of the Fender Reverb.) What I am finding difficult is to replicate that strange "boing" (the "drip") right when you play the note (exemplified in the video I linked above). A sound that most would find quite horrible and only belongs with these late 50's early 60's guitars. I guess that because it is of so limited use, most modellers don't work on getting it. I just became obsessed with getting it. And then I will probably only use it once. OCD! :wink:
The drip is caused by the springs of the reverb. With Late Replies, it can be replicated using phase shifters in the feedback loop and in the early reflections. There are a couple of presets in the latest version that exactly do that. The "boing" is amplified by the amp and cabinet response if you use the spring reverb before the amp.

pumafred
KVRist
469 posts since 28 Oct, 2012 from Argentina

Re: Can Axiom/Destructor/Late Replies do surf guitar "drip"?

Post Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:29 am

Blue Cat Audio wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:58 pm
The drip is caused by the springs of the reverb. With Late Replies, it can be replicated using phase shifters in the feedback loop and in the early reflections. There are a couple of presets in the latest version that exactly do that. The "boing" is amplified by the amp and cabinet response if you use the spring reverb before the amp.
Thanks, will try!!

User avatar
Tappistry
KVRian
1435 posts since 3 Aug, 2017 from San Diego, CA

Re: Can Axiom/Destructor/Late Replies do surf guitar "drip"?

Post Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:17 pm

Blue Cat Audio wrote:
Wed Jul 10, 2019 11:58 pm
The drip is caused by the springs of the reverb. With Late Replies, it can be replicated using phase shifters in the feedback loop and in the early reflections. There are a couple of presets in the latest version that exactly do that. The "boing" is amplified by the amp and cabinet response if you use the spring reverb before the amp.
This is really interesting. I'm learning things. :)

User avatar
Blue Cat Audio
KVRAF
3904 posts since 8 Sep, 2004 from Paris (France)

Re: Can Axiom/Destructor/Late Replies do surf guitar "drip"?

Post Sun Jul 14, 2019 4:19 am

:tu:

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”