Switch Patchwork Presets via Midi

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
markgamache
KVRer
5 posts since 3 Nov, 2019

Post Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:12 am

I want to use Patchwork in a live situation and I am not sure how to automatically switch presets. I was hoping to do it via midi command. What is the recommended way to use Patchwork live?

thanks,

mark
Last edited by markgamache on Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

markgamache
KVRer

Re: Switch Patchwork Presets via Midi

Post Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:28 am

It looks like there might be a midi/preset mapping, but I don't know how to select the midi input. The Audio/Midi prefs dialog shows only audio parameters and no midi. Obviously I am using the standalone version. Is the preset switching only for the plug-in version?

Blue Cat Audio
KVRAF
4043 posts since 8 Sep, 2004 from Paris (France)

Post Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:49 am

Hi,

The PatchWork app will listen to all available MIDI inputs (you cannot select them for the moment). But you first need to activate the MIDI program change feature (which is disabled by default, to avoid unwanted patch changes). Just open the presets menu and select the channel you want to listen to for MIDI Program change:

MIDI Bank / Program numbers will then be displayed in the presets menu:

Hope this helps!

markgamache
KVRer

Post Mon Nov 04, 2019 7:23 am

Thanks for the reply.

I am still not able to get it to work. I am sending commands to Patchwork via loopMidi (Tobias Erichsen) (http://www.tobias-erichsen.de/software/loopmidi.html) using Midi OX. Is there anyway to verify/debug what midi Patchwork (or Axiom) is receiving?

I am using the demo app if that matters.

thanks,
mark

markgamache
KVRer

Post Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:24 am

I also tried with an external midi controller (Logidy) with no luck. All the 'midi learn' functions are also non-responsive. This is both for Patchwork and Axiom.

Blue Cat Audio
KVRAF

Post Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:43 am

That's odd. Have you made sure to connect and power on the controllers before launching PatchWork or Axiom (or activate the MIDI loop software)? Devices are scanned upon startup, so they have to be running before you start the app.

A convenient way to "debug" MIDI is to load the MIDI log script in the Plug'n Script plug-in (you can use the demo version for this purpose). You will see if MIDI messages are actually received by the app.

We actually use PatchWork and Axiom daily as standalone hosts for live playing on either Windows or Mac, with a wide variety of controllers, so it should definitely work.

markgamache
KVRer

Post Wed Nov 06, 2019 4:35 am

Okay, I think the issue was due to the audio engine not running. I had not properly configured the audio I/O. Once that was configured and running it now responds to my midi commands. Thanks for your help.

Blue Cat Audio
KVRAF

Post Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:48 am

Oh, indeed when the audio is not running, nothing happens in the audio/MIDI thread. Glad that it finally worked for you!

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”