Please explain how to set up MIDI Thru in Patchwork Mac (Logic)

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Anybody is welcome to chime in—Thanks!

Bump!

Can you maybe give us some more context information about what you are trying to do? Are you using PAtchwork as a MIDI FX or a regular audio effect? Do you want MIDI thru in Logic (thru PatchWork) or in the plug-ins loaded inside PatchWork?

Sure, thanks.

I'm loading Patchwork as an AU MIDI effect, and would generally like to understand MIDI routing in Patchwork better.

But what I mainly need is to be able to get note data through when whatever I've loaded into Patchwork is sending CC messages modulating synth parameters on the track instrument, using vsts that aren't available as AU MIDI FX themselves.

What specifically brought me here is trying and failing to run Gatekeeper into pizmidi's audio to MIDI CC device as shown in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5-WgbaLFWw

I can get Gatekeeper to send its CV signals to move the knobs on the pizmidi device, but not without cutting off the played-in note data, unlike how that's working in the mentioned video, which AFAIK I've followed to the letter. I'm still using Logic 10.4.4, if that matters.

I have managed this by running Patchwork inside Plogue Bidule, set up as shown in the video, but with Bidule providing the MIDI Thru.

I am not sure I fully understand what is going on in the video above. However Patchwork will indeed not do MIDI-thru by default. But you can do MIDI thru very easily: you just need a plug-in that has MIDI thru capabilities and use it to relay events from the input to the host. If you do not have such a plug-in (Plug'n Script for example can do that), you can use any built-in plug-in for this, if it is bypassed (it is a bit of hack but it works).

Here is how to do it, using as an example the built-in gain plug-in:
- insert the built-in gain plug-in in a slot.
- bypass the plug-in.
- select "Host" as MIDI output for the plug-in.
All MIDI events will now be forwarded to the host, at the output of Patchwork. It's as simple as that :-)

Excellent, thank you!

The trick in the video is two-fold:

Switch Gatekeeper's output to CV and insert after it an audio to MIDI CC converter, a link to one of which is given in the video info. Works great when combined with MIDI Thru, and apparently even without it, but that's Trick 3, and I never did figure that one out, unless it's simply that for the setup in the demo example it wasn't needed; no doubt that's it. Now I don't need to care about that—thanks again:)

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”