Patchwork 2.42 does not work with Reaper 6.05 on Catalina

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

Patchwork 2.42 does not work at all with Reaper 6.05 on Catalina. It's a new 16" MBP, so there's no option to roll back the macOS.

The AU will instantiate but will not be brought online by Reaper.
The VST is not available for use. Reaper does not scan and see it as available.
The VST3 will crash Reaper as soon as the user tries to instantiate it.

The only solution is to roll back to 2.41. It is also broken in Wavelab.

Thanks for the heads up. I guess you are running their special Catalina build?
Note: the Catalina macOS download is notarized and uses the "hardened runtime," which may reduce compatibility with certain plug-ins. You may still run the regular 64-bit macOS download on Catalina; however, you must right click and choose "Open" when running that version for the first time.
It is likely that they have not the proper entitlements for the Just In Time compiler that we use to improve the performance of the GUI scripts. If you are in touch with Reaper support, can you maybe tell them about it, as explained in this blog post?
If you get in touch with the support team of a host application that cannot load our plug-ins, you can ask them to verify that their application has the following entitlements:
- Allow Unsigned Executable Memory Entitlement: our plug-ins use a scripting system with a JIT compiler which require this specific entitlement. If the host doe snot have it, a crash is guaranteed.
- Disable Library Validation Entitlement: this is required for all applications that want to load third party plug-ins, so it should not be an issue.
In the meantime I advise that you keep using the non-notarized version of Reaper that should not have the problem.

Regarding Wavelab, this is odd, as I don't think they have a notarized version yet (?)

Yes, I'm using Reaper's Catalina build.

Are there plans to address these issues?

It's worth noting that 2.42 crashes Reaper for me. Both builds, the Catalina and non-Catalina build.

Patchwork 2.42 also crashes Nuendo 10.

The VST is blacklisted by Nuendo, and the VST3 is not. However, loading the VST3 crashes Nuendo.

zosoaudo007 wrote: Fri Jul 24, 2020 4:14 pm Are there plans to address these issues?

It's worth noting that 2.42 crashes Reaper for me. Both builds, the Catalina and non-Catalina build.
The non-Catalina build crash is probably another issue. Does it crash instantly when loaded? Are you using any third party plug-in inside PatchWork?

By the way has anyone reported the runtime requirements to the Reaper team so that they update their Catalina-specific builds accordingly in the future, as explained here?

Regarding Nuendo, it is probably another issue too, as Nuendo is said to be compatible but not notarized, as you can see on the Steinberg compatibility page.

Thanks for getting back. It crashes instantly on load with the reaper catalina and non-catalina builds. It crashes during the VST scan. I have plugins loading in patchwork by default (other third party stuff). This works well on the previous version, but not 2.42.

I've not reported anything to the reaper team regarding these issues or plugins. I don't even know where to begin with that. It was mentioned earlier in the thread that I should reach out. If I'm being honest, I feel strongly that Blue Cat should reach out regarding that. I don't want to be a middle man, and I don't know the first thing about what sort of "requirements" to pass along to them.

zosoaudo007 wrote: Tue Jul 28, 2020 5:30 pm Thanks for getting back. It crashes instantly on load with the reaper catalina and non-catalina builds. It crashes during the VST scan. I have plugins loading in patchwork by default (other third party stuff). This works well on the previous version, but not 2.42.
It is very likely that this is due to the third party plug-ins. Have you tried to reset the default preset so that no other plug-in is loaded?
I've not reported anything to the reaper team regarding these issues or plugins. I don't even know where to begin with that. It was mentioned earlier in the thread that I should reach out. If I'm being honest, I feel strongly that Blue Cat should reach out regarding that. I don't want to be a middle man, and I don't know the first thing about what sort of "requirements" to pass along to them.
We will of course get in touch with them. However it is often easier to get support from manufacturers when customers also report issues :-).

We have tested the latest version of Reaper on Catalina (both Catalina and non-Catalina versions) and cannot reproduce the issue. So it is likely that the problem comes from a third party plug-in loaded inside PatchWork.

Thanks for getting back to me.

That's good to know, thank you.

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”