Skin problems with free plugs

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
KVRian
1063 posts since 28 Dec, 2012 from Boston area

Post Sun Dec 07, 2014 12:20 pm

Hi folks, I installed the Blue Cat freeware pack, thanks for that, but ran into skin problems with all of them.

- Every plugin needed me to find its default skin file when I first opened it. I did that, so I personally don't need anything done about this, but it can't be what's supposed to happen to everyone.

- Some plugins threw skin errors after I pointed them to their skin file, and won't load. I can live without them, just wondering if there's an easy fix, or if this is a bug. The broken ones are:
BC Gain 3 - all 2 versions
BC Triple EQ 4 Dual

I'm using Studio 1 2.6.4 on Windows 7 Pro, both 64 bit. Plugin DLLs and their data directories are all here:
C:\Program Files\VSTPlugins\Blue Cat Audio\

Are other people seeing these issues? Thanks.

KVRAF
4533 posts since 8 Sep, 2004 from Paris (France)

Post Mon Dec 08, 2014 2:01 am

Thank you for the feedback. This is definitely not expected and no one ever reported such an issue. Have you maybe moved or renamed the plug-in files after install?

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Mon Dec 08, 2014 3:07 am

Blue Cat Audio wrote:Thank you for the feedback. This is definitely not expected and no one ever reported such an issue. Have you maybe moved or renamed the plug-in files after install?
Nope.

KVRAF

Post Mon Dec 08, 2014 9:07 am

One thing you can do is get rid of all preferences for these plug-ins so that the proper default skins are used (maybe you installed these plug-ins before and used custom skins that are not here anymore?).

To do so, simply open the following directory and remove all sub-folders related to the plug-ins causing problems:

C:\Users\[YOUR USER]\AppData\Roaming\Blue Cat Audio

If it still does not work, you can maybe try to unsinstall/reinstall the plug-ins.

KVRAF

Post Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:29 am

Hi,

Have you finally found a way to fix the problem?

KVRian

Topic Starter

Post Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:21 am

Thanks for following up on this.

But sorry, I haven't had a chance to do anything further, insanely busy with non-music lately. It's not going to let up right away either; I'll try, but it might not be until early next week.

To respond to your questions, no, I never installed these before, didn't move any of their pieces manually, and never looked at anything about custom skins for them.

KVRer
2 posts since 2 Jan, 2015

Post Fri Jan 02, 2015 5:49 am

I'm also currently having this issue with a new computer DAW I recently set up. I was running Blue Cat previously on an older XP machine when it crashed. Got a new i7 machine running Windows 7 64 bit and reloaded everything including all of my previous plug-ins-which I had backed up luckily. Blue Cat is one of my favorite so when I recently tried opening the stereo 4 band EQ an error message popped up saying there was no skin or couldn't find the skins while running Reaper 4.67. I checked it out and the skins folders were empty so I deleted all BC files and downloaded from the site and re-installed but still had the same problem. Could be a Windows 7 issue between the file tree for their (x64) and their programs folders-I've been having issues finding VST's and virtual instruments because they seem to default to a folder that my DAW doesn't automatically look in. This is solved by going in a pointing to the right folder or moving the files and it's worked fine except for the BC skins. I'm going to try to uninstall this time, clean my registry and re-install and let BC put it where it wants to go and see if that works instead of me forcing it to the folder my DAW would prefer. I'll up date later when I can. Love the bC effects-they are so nice, smooth and silky sounding. Best chorus-outside of owning a Roland JC 120 amp I've known. It's no fun not to be able to use them.

KVRer
2 posts since 2 Jan, 2015

Post Fri Jan 02, 2015 1:35 pm

So I uninstalled the free bundle, cleaned my registry, restarted my computer,re-downloaded the bundle, installed it where to it's default location, restarted (just in case because PC's are stupid that way) and then they opened in Reaper just fine. Must have gotten hung up on something in the Registry. Still a mystery where the skins were in the first place though.

KVRAF

Post Sat Jan 03, 2015 5:49 am

Thanks for the heads up. It looks like there might be an issue with the installer that sometimes does not complete. We have not been able to reproduce the issue yet, though :-(.

KVRAF

Post Thu Apr 02, 2015 11:05 pm

Hi,

we were able to gather more information about the problem. It seems that if you installed in the past the freeware plug-ins v1, you may indeed have this problem (one version of the older plug-ins probably had an issue, but we have not been able to identify the root cause yet as the last v1 release does not have the issue).

To solve the problem in this case, open the following directory:
C:\Users\[YOUR USERNAME]\AppData\Roaming\Blue Cat Audio

And remove all sub-directories related to the free plug-ins. Before erasing the directories, if you can zip the Blue Cat Audio directory and send it to us by email, it could help us get rid of this issue in the future :-).

KVRer
1 posts since 20 Jun, 2016

Post Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:56 pm

AUTO-ADMIN: Non-MP3, WAV, OGG, SoundCloud, YouTube, Vimeo, Twitter and Facebook links in this post have been protected automatically. Once the member reaches 5 posts the links will function as normal.
Check out my thread. I'm having drama after drama with Patchwork and FrequencyAnalyst. (Assuming your forum hasn't blocked the link that I have pasted below).

http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?p=23 ... ost2365219 (http://duc.avid.com/showthread.php?p=2365219#post2365219)

KVRAF

Post Sun Jun 19, 2016 10:35 pm

Thanks for the heads up. WE will check this out!

KVRer
3 posts since 24 Feb, 2020

Post Thu Feb 04, 2021 12:43 pm

I had a problem with mb7 not able to load xml file aka-skin. :idea:
Last edited by Nutsosix on Thu Feb 04, 2021 5:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

KVRer
3 posts since 24 Feb, 2020

Post Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:30 pm

It only works in mu lab tools & ViennaEnsemble :hihi:

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”