PatchWork, Late Replies, Axiom and Destructor Updated

Official support for: bluecataudio.com
Post Reply New Topic
RELATED
PRODUCTS

We are happy to announce the release of Blue Cat's Axiom 1.12, Destructor 1.41, Late Replies 1.31 and PatchWork 2.31.

These new versions mainly bring performance improvements and a few bug fixes (full list below): audio analysis tasks (spectrum analyzer or guitar tuner) are now performed in the background, so that they do not impact audio performance anymore.

These updates are free for existing customers (using the link received by email upon purchase). Enjoy!

What's New (all plug-ins):
- Spectrum analysis (Amp sim & built-in EQ plug-in) is now performed in the background and does not affect audio performance.
- Improved convolution performance for the impulse response loader on multicore processors.
What's New (Axiom, Late Replies & PatchWork):
- Fixed modulation plug-ins that did not always properly set rate when used in host sync mode (sweep filter, flanger, tremolo).
What's New for Axiom:
- Audio analysis for the tuner is now performed in the background and does not affect audio performance (you can now keep the tuner on without fearing dropouts!)

Enjoy!

Had trouble installing the PatchWork and Axiom updates - Win10-64 - took 20 minutes for several retries and a couple of reboots.

This is odd. Did the system ask you for reboot? There is nothing special with this particular update.

The problem seemed as though the update was searching my drive/the web for something. But I waited for over a minute and then it responded to start the install.

Anyway, I have all installed now.. but this time it was a puzzle.

The update of PW did not fix the program change issue. The program change will only executed when the GUI becomes active! This could be very extrem and could damage your ears or speckers. For me this change in functionality should be roiled back.

This is actually the expected behavior, as explained in the manual:
MIDI Preset Loading
Starting with v1.63, it is possible to load effects chains as presets using MIDI (with Bank Select and Program Change messages). It is however necessary that the user interface of the PatchWork plug-in remains open for the presets to be actually loaded, because of limitations of many third party VST plug-ins. More details about MIDI and presets loading is available in the presets section.
It has been working like this since the first release supporting program change (1.63).

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:39 pm This is actually the expected behavior, as explained in the manual:
MIDI Preset Loading
Starting with v1.63, it is possible to load effects chains as presets using MIDI (with Bank Select and Program Change messages). It is however necessary that the user interface of the PatchWork plug-in remains open for the presets to be actually loaded, because of limitations of many third party VST plug-ins. More details about MIDI and presets loading is available in the presets section.
It has been working like this since the first release supporting program change (1.63).
Blue Cat Audio wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 2:39 pm This is actually the expected behavior, as explained in the manual:
MIDI Preset Loading
It’s the same with the MB7 Mixer, it works with an older version. I use both of them in my current setup. I bought both Plugin because it was a suggestion of an ABLETON Forum thread, to use this to change Effect setups. Therefore I cannot agree with your Statement. Since the entry in the changelog that the GUI is now faster while program change, functionality is gone. BTW Why I should use program change while GUI is open? For me it is still a problem because I have to change my setup, MB7 and PW plugins are now nearly useless for me. :-(

Why not a checkbox to allow this?

Not sure if this needed it's own thread, but I have a small bug to report.

I've noticed UI lag with changing presets in Audio Damage Quanta, the newest version 1.0.13. This occurs in the the Patchwork Synth plugins in Reaper, as well as the standalone apps. I also went further and tested the VST and VST3 versions of Patchwork/Synth and the Quanta plugin, and it seems to occur across all platforms and plugin/host types.

Tappistry wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:20 am Not sure if this needed it's own thread, but I have a small bug to report.

I've noticed UI lag with changing presets in Audio Damage Quanta, the newest version 1.0.13. This occurs in the the Patchwork Synth plugins in Reaper, as well as the standalone apps. I also went further and tested the VST and VST3 versions of Patchwork/Synth and the Quanta plugin, and it seems to occur across all platforms and plugin/host types.
Thanks, we'll check it out. Have you tried disabling undo for this plug-in? It is likely that it is throwing many parameter change events while loading a preset, which triggers the host saving the entire state every time for undo. And it can be very slow...

museelectro wrote: Wed Jan 02, 2019 9:33 pm It’s the same with the MB7 Mixer, it works with an older version. I use both of them in my current setup. I bought both Plugin because it was a suggestion of an ABLETON Forum thread, to use this to change Effect setups. Therefore I cannot agree with your Statement. Since the entry in the changelog that the GUI is now faster while program change, functionality is gone.
The MB-7 Mixer has indeed been fixed recently, but as far as I remember PatchWork has always required the GUI to be open (but I would have to double check).
BTW Why I should use program change while GUI is open?
Because most other plug-in manufacturers do not support their plug-ins to be loaded outside the GUI thread. Since loading a preset will cause new plug-ins to be loaded, it requires the PatchWork GUI to be open.
Why not a checkbox to allow this?
Because it is very likely that the program will randomly crash (plug-ins that do not properly support non-GUI thread instantiation usually crash upon unload, or even worse anytime while running...). We prefer to avoid providing an option to allow an unsafe behavior.
MB7 and PW plugins are now nearly useless for me.
You can either use the versions that work for you, or request a refund by email if you cannot use it. As an alternative you can also keep the plug-in GUI open in the corner of the screen (it can be very small if you choose not to display most components).

Blue Cat Audio wrote: Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:04 pm
Tappistry wrote: Thu Jan 03, 2019 4:20 am Not sure if this needed it's own thread, but I have a small bug to report.

Thanks, we'll check it out. Have you tried disabling undo for this plug-in? It is likely that it is throwing many parameter change events while loading a preset, which triggers the host saving the entire state every time for undo. And it can be very slow...
Ok, so disabling undo fixed the problem. Sounds like it's a busy little synth. :)

This or they just send too many parameter edit messages (which trigger too many save operations)

Return to “Blue Cat Audio”